The wife wants a dog

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
And? You make it seem like $800 is a lot of money in the grand scheme of things for a family member that will be with you for over a decade.

One you add up all the vet bills, food, toys, heartworm pills, flea medication, etc over the life of a dog the difference between your $75/$100 outlay versus someone that pays $800 is going to seem quite inconsequential.

Your right it's not a lot but it's seem like a waste when I got the perfect dogs for much less.

$800 isn't a lot as purebreds go either. My original comment was directed at the people who spend several times that.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
And? You make it seem like $800 is a lot of money in the grand scheme of things for a family member that will be with you for over a decade.

One you add up all the vet bills, food, toys, heartworm pills, flea medication, etc over the life of a dog the difference between your $75/$100 outlay versus someone that pays $800 is going to seem quite inconsequential.

Upfront it is and not to mention as people have said you are helping the problem by doing it if you don't do some research on the breeder and the breed of dogs.

Just because someone doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a overbred dog that will have many more medical bills doesn't mean you need to tell them what to do. ;)

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
My vote for a ridgeback or two. Perfect dog for the desert heat and cold, plus able to fend off those pesky coyotes or mountain lions.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Upfront it is and not to mention as people have said you are helping the problem by doing it if you don't do some research on the breeder and the breed of dogs.

Just because someone doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a overbred dog that will have many more medical bills doesn't mean you need to tell them what to do. ;)

I'm not telling anybody what to do... quite the opposite. All I was stating is that the initial outlay is not all that significant over the life of the dog.

And I'm just against all of these people trying to drop the "shelter dog" bomb in every dog discussion :)

There will always be breeders. There will always be shelter dogs. Both need homes so who gives a shit what people do with their money to put a dog in their home?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Seriously though... something with this much face skin is not for me:

BASSETT-HOUND-BEACH-FACE.jpg

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So what, his wife wants a Bassett Hound (or a Golden Retriever, or a Poodle, or a Jack Russell). I get so sick and tired of all the bleeding heart "oh, please get a shelter dog" people that flood these dog threads.

Many people like certain breeds for, well... their own friggin' reasons. No need to try to shame someone into getting a mutt or something they don't want. It's their money, the pet has to live in THEIR house, and has to adapt to THEIR environment.

My wife and I wanted a smallish dog that didn't shed and would be good around kids. We did a lot or research and decided on a Mini Schnauzer. We couldn't have been happier with our "first born" child, Chandler. She's 2 and a half and a healthy, loving companion that sleeps in our bed (between us both, and often times on my pillow) and likes to ride in the front passenger seat of my car when I run errands (she has her own doggie harness).

When we were talking about getting a Mini Schnauzer, we had a lot of obnoxious people asking "Why aren't you getting a shelter dog instead?" It's none of your damn business! Almost as bad as my wife's obnoxious cousin that when we announced that we were having our first child, she responded with "Was it planned?"

WTF people!!

Damn! You need to work on the punchline, something along the lines of them asking why you hadn't adopted instead would have fit much better into your cool story. :thumbsup:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn! You need to work on the punchline, something along the lines of them asking why you hadn't adopted instead would have fit much better into your cool story. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it would have... it's just one of those things that really pissed me off.

We were all happy about our announcement, then she asked "was it planned". We both had a WTF look on our face, then we both got even more pissed as we thought about it. I mean, seriously, who asks that?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Great dogs, but not a great choice for noob dog owners IMHO.
I always read that...but in truth, my ridgeback isn't any more difficult or stubborn than my old golden was...you definitely have to train them, and you have to be more careful doing so than with other dogs, since he's so sensitive. If you tell at him too much or you're too rough with him, he just pouts and won't do shit. But he can practically learn to do my taxes if you have enough cookies to keep him interested!

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

We were all happy about our announcement, then she asked "was it planned". We both had a WTF look on our face, then we both got even more pissed as we thought about it. I mean, seriously, who asks that?

Yeah... apparently your wife's shithead cousin. :D

I don't know what stopped your wife from punching her in the face. I know someone like that, another in-law.. She'd seen someone for the first time in a long time and went chasing her out the door saying how good she looks and how she's lost so much weight, then finishes it with a "Are you sick with something?"

D:

Some people just can't function in a society at any level.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

It's a better question that "Do you know who the father is?" :p

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

You are supposed to say back to them it was a accident and we plan on giving it away in a few weeks to see how they react.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
As for going to the pound and getting some random dog, that wont happen. The reason she wants the basset hound is because of The Fox & the Hound movie. It was her favorite growing up and reminds her of the good times with her dad before he passed away.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
As for going to the pound and getting some random dog, that wont happen. The reason she wants the basset hound is because of The Fox & the Hound movie. It was her favorite growing up and reminds her of the good times with her dad before he passed away.
Not sure if serious.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

:(

Have her do some research on dog types to have her find a certain breed and not based on a cartoon.

If she refuses then tell her fine as long as you can get a St. Bernard because it's the same breed of dog as from Cujo. :p

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The whole purebred vs shelter thing aside picking a dog based off it's appearance in a movie is likely to end badly.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
I am serious. I feel like I have no way around getting one.

Time warped.

Just get it for her.

A dog adds a lot to life. My tailless wounder has introduced me to many people. I have been asked to tea told to visit when in their valley. On long walks I have been asked many times: can my dog play with your dog?
My dog has walked hundreds of miles off leash. Most americans do not train their dogs but a well trained dog is a joy. Train the dog it will love you for it. They love being told they are good and doing what you want.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

It's really not worth fighting over this one. You can't win and any arguments just make you look like a douchebag. She has played this one well sir. :\

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
OP, money and driving time shouldn't be a large factor when you are committing 10-15 years of your life to have this dog.

Please check the link in my sig. Doing a search on Basset Hound came up with 2,000+ in rescue. Many rescues will assist in transportation and/or even meet you half way.

And please do not even think about getting a dog for breeding.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Go to the SPCA and pick up a pet.

Too many breeders and big stores that sell them come from puppy mills. They will be malnourished and grow stupid. I had such a dog, dumbest dog I've ever had and poodles are supposed to be one of the smartest dogs along with a border collie.

In addition, a true pure bred dog could likely have serious health issues from inbreeding. This will COST when going to the Vet!

http://www.just-basset-hounds.com/basset-hound-diseases.html

Best thing to do is a get a mutt from the kennel. They will be much healthier and smarter than your average pure bred and you'll be doing humanity a service of preventing one less dog from being put to sleep. :thumbsup:

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Basset FYI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJ8JRHAFlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSTRnttHVOY

I wonder how the extreme stubborness, slobber nose (you have carpet? you like washing clothes every day?), epic snoring, and potential thousand dollar plus tips to vet will go over with your wife.

You have to view dogs like cars. Some cars are more reliable than others. Likewise dog breeds. Even gambling on a healthy dog breed, you gotta brace yourself for issues down the road. Cataracts?...boom $2-3k. Dog eats wrong treat one day or just happens?...boom diabetes and lifelong insulin shots EVERY day (read: expensive)...so much for leaving the dog home all day, you gotta give your dog that insulin shot.

Dogs end up in kennels b/c owners don't do their research. Puppies look cute, but then that dog gets to 120 lbs and the family has a baby on the way or the grown dog needs constant exercise b/c it's in their breed...boom...dog ends up at kennel.

Research your dog breed as if you're buying car with Consumer Reports Magazine to mitigate any potential grief that you and your family may not be mentally or financially prepared to deal with.

"Cute" doesn't cut it when it comes to buying a dog breed without knowing what's what.

Last edited:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Basset FYI:

You have to view dogs like cars. Some cars are more reliable than others. Likewise dog breeds. Even gambling on a healthy dog breed, you gotta brace yourself for issues down the road. Cataracts?...boom $2-3k. Dog eats wrong treat one day or just happens?...boom diabetes and lifelong insulin shots EVERY day (read: expensive)...so much for leaving the dog home all day, you gotta give your dog that insulin shot.

the same thing that could happen to a pound dog where you dont even know its history

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Nothing wrong with buying from a good breeder. Problem is there are so few good breeders. You want to buy from somebody that has health tested both parents and I don't just mean a check up at the vet. Every breed is prone to certain health problems and need to be screened to make sure they don't have those problems before being breed and that ain't cheap. Being registered doesn't mean healthy or quality.

Both of mine came from the local pound.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Basset FYI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJ8JRHAFlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSTRnttHVOY

I wonder how the extreme stubborness, slobber nose (you have carpet? you like washing clothes every day?), epic snoring, and potential thousand dollar plus tips to vet will go over with your wife.

Dogs end up in kennels b/c owners don't do their research. Puppies look cute, but then that dog gets to 120 lbs and the family has a baby on the way or the grown dog needs constant exercise b/c it's in their breed...boom...dog ends up at kennel.

Research your dog breed as if you're buying car with Consumer Reports Magazine to mitigate any potential grief that you and your family may not be mentally or financially prepared to deal with.

"Cute" doesn't cut it when it comes to buying a dog breed without knowing what's what.

Stuff like this happens to every type of dog just like it does to humans. Growing up Ive had serveral dogs that all ended up with some sort of issues after about ten years. Its just apart of life.