The wife wants a dog

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
we have two purebred ragdoll cats.
I was just going to be happy with rescues, but my fiance really pressed the issue. however the cats are awesome and we've had no problems so far.

Ugh, cat breeders are an even bigger facepalm inducer. At least with dogs I can understand why you'd want certain characteristics. All cats are essentially the same though.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
The closest one is over 300 miles away. But at the same time, I cant find any legit breeders close either. I am not driving over 5 hours to get this thing.
So take her to the pound or other local dog rescue place. If she really wants a dog, she will probably zero in on one as soon as she's confronted with a whole bunch of cute pups.

Try poking around on petfinder.com and see if anything looks interesting.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
And she wants a Basset Hound. The cheapest I cant find them is around $800.00 and I dont want to pay that much for a dog.

I feel for you. My wife and kids beat me into submission. We are picking up our $1000 lab puppy in April.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
It boggles my mind that anyone would support the loathsome breeding industry when there are so many shelter dogs, most of whom are probably healthier than inbred puppy-mill products.

There is a difference between a good breeder, and a puppy mill dog ...... calm down.

I was looking for a husky, found a couple that had an accidental litter in south dakota, gave me a purebred AKC registered husky for $200, I was happy :D.

Last edited:

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
The closest one is over 300 miles away. But at the same time, I cant find any legit breeders close either. I am not driving over 5 hours to get this thing.

Fausto gives good advice. Option. NM is the original territory of the original american working dog. Find her a Austrailian Sheperd pup and watch her melt. You will quickly learn what it is like to have a 2 year old for 12 years.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Fausto gives good advice. Option. NM is the original territory of the original american working dog. Find her a Austrailian Sheperd pup and watch her melt. You will quickly learn what it is like to have a 2 year old for 12 years.
Yeah, you better have some land and something for the dog to do if you go with a herding breed.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Ugh, cat breeders are an even bigger facepalm inducer. At least with dogs I can understand why you'd want certain characteristics. All cats are essentially the same though.

these animals are going to need a home regardless if it's from a breeder or not. although we were set on getting a certain breed, we made sure to go out of our way to make sure we were buying from a responsible breeder and not a backyard breeder or mill.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
But
I am not smart enough to breed dogs. I have yet to meet somebody that is.

You need to keep very accurate records and have a good breeding plan to maintain proper genetic diversity, otherwise you run the risk of having puppies with a lot of problems and very sad and distressed owners wondering why their 2 year old dog is seizing on the floor.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
these animals are going to need a home regardless if it's from a breeder or not. although we were set on getting a certain breed, we made sure to go out of our way to make sure we were buying from a responsible breeder and not a backyard breeder or mill.

Cats are (unfortunately) quite good at breeding like crazy on their own. If people stopped buying from breeders they'd close down and there would be fewer surplus cats.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
So what, his wife wants a Bassett Hound (or a Golden Retriever, or a Poodle, or a Jack Russell). I get so sick and tired of all the bleeding heart "oh, please get a shelter dog" people that flood these dog threads.

Many people like certain breeds for, well... their own friggin' reasons. No need to try to shame someone into getting a mutt or something they don't want. It's their money, the pet has to live in THEIR house, and has to adapt to THEIR environment.

My wife and I wanted a smallish dog that didn't shed and would be good around kids. We did a lot or research and decided on a Mini Schnauzer. We couldn't have been happier with our "first born" child, Chandler. She's 2 and a half and a healthy, loving companion that sleeps in our bed (between us both, and often times on my pillow) and likes to ride in the front passenger seat of my car when I run errands (she has her own doggie harness).
!

If you want certain personality you should really pick based on the individual dog rather than the breed. Both of our dogs were from shelters and they both had the exact personality we were expecting from interacting with them.

I don't see the appeal of spending a small fortune to get a dog from a breeder. I have friends and relatives with many different pure bred dogs and they have all been less intelligent and not as well behaved as our mutts. They were both incredibly easy to train as well.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Go to the pound, find a puppy that looks "cute" ... surprise your wife ...
hopefully she won't care if it's a basset hound or not once she has a puppy and falls in love with it.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you want certain personality you should really pick based on the individual dog rather than the breed. Both of our dogs were from shelters and they both had the exact personality we were expecting from interacting with them.

I don't see the appeal of spending a small fortune to get a dog from a breeder. I have friends and relatives with many different pure bred dogs and they have all been less intelligent and not as well behaved as our mutts. They were both incredibly easy to train as well.

Small fortune? We paid less than $800. That's worth 13-14 years of joy in my book.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Small fortune? We paid less than $800. That's worth 13-14 years of joy in my book.

I payed $75 and $100 for both of mine and could not have gotten two better dogs. I'd much rather put the money towards good food and medical care.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I payed $75 and $100 for both of mine and could not have gotten two better dogs. I'd much rather put the money towards good food and medical care.

And? You make it seem like $800 is a lot of money in the grand scheme of things for a family member that will be with you for over a decade.

One you add up all the vet bills, food, toys, heartworm pills, flea medication, etc over the life of a dog the difference between your $75/$100 outlay versus someone that pays $800 is going to seem quite inconsequential.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
So what, his wife wants a Bassett Hound (or a Golden Retriever, or a Poodle, or a Jack Russell). I get so sick and tired of all the bleeding heart "oh, please get a shelter dog" people that flood these dog threads.

Because he doesn't want to spend that much nor travel far to get it thus we offer him better advice and shelter dogs tend to be what op sounds like what he wants.