The wife wants a dog

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
And she wants a Basset Hound. The cheapest I cant find them is around $800.00 and I dont want to pay that much for a dog.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Explain to her the genetic harm done in pure-breeding dogs, and that there are thousands of shelter dogs in need of a good home already.

Then go to the pound and get the nearest approximation mutt you can find.

Also, the long term vet bills will far out weigh the initial cost of a specific breed puppy.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Find a mutt that looks like one at a shelter. Also make sure she's cognizant of the true cost and responsibility of a pet.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Explain to her the genetic harm done in pure-breeding dogs, and that there are thousands of shelter dogs in need of a good home already.

Also, the long term vet bills will far out weigh the initial cost of a specific breed puppy.

This.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

And end up buying a Basset Hound anyways because his wife wants one.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
And end up buying a Basset Hound anyways because his wife wants one.

Must be married.

I keep telling her the pure breds are prone to health issues but it is what it is. And then she talks about breeding it but she wants a female which is a lot more work than the the male.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
If you think $800 is too much just wait until all the vet bills you'll get due to the animal's nasty inbreeding problems.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Must be married.

I keep telling her the pure breds are prone to health issues but it is what it is. And then she talks about breeding it but she wants a female which is a lot more work than the the male.

Spend the money and move on imo, pick your battles.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
If you think $800 is too much just wait until all the vet bills you'll get due to the animal's nasty inbreeding problems.

This.

Either get a mutt from the spca or spend the $$ to get a pure bred from a high quality breeder with proven health records. If you cheap out on a pure bred its gonna cost you alot more in the long run.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Must be married.

Tell her you've already got one bitch in your life and that's more than enough. Problem solved. You're welcome. :awe:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Must be married.

So your wife not only wants a purebred, but wants to breed it to add to the glut of pets already in the world?

facepalm.jpg

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
It boggles my mind that anyone would support the loathsome breeding industry when there are so many shelter dogs, most of whom are probably healthier than inbred puppy-mill products.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
If you think $800 is expensive for a dog, wait for your first yr's vet bill.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
If she is hell-bent on a purebred, at least find a rescue organization in your area.

The closest one is over 300 miles away. But at the same time, I cant find any legit breeders close either. I am not driving over 5 hours to get this thing.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
we have two purebred ragdoll cats.
I was just going to be happy with rescues, but my fiance really pressed the issue. however the cats are awesome and we've had no problems so far.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So what, his wife wants a Bassett Hound (or a Golden Retriever, or a Poodle, or a Jack Russell). I get so sick and tired of all the bleeding heart "oh, please get a shelter dog" people that flood these dog threads.

Many people like certain breeds for, well... their own friggin' reasons. No need to try to shame someone into getting a mutt or something they don't want. It's their money, the pet has to live in THEIR house, and has to adapt to THEIR environment.

My wife and I wanted a smallish dog that didn't shed and would be good around kids. We did a lot or research and decided on a Mini Schnauzer. We couldn't have been happier with our "first born" child, Chandler. She's 2 and a half and a healthy, loving companion that sleeps in our bed (between us both, and often times on my pillow) and likes to ride in the front passenger seat of my car when I run errands (she has her own doggie harness).

When we were talking about getting a Mini Schnauzer, we had a lot of obnoxious people asking "Why aren't you getting a shelter dog instead?" It's none of your damn business! Almost as bad as my wife's obnoxious cousin that when we announced that we were having our first child, she responded with "Was it planned?"

WTF people!!