"The rape thing"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That's because you're a conservative. If you were a normal well adjusted person, you would see the outrage.

Yes, because liberals clearly have normalcy and well-adjustedness cornered.

Please, enlighten me about the outrage in saying that aborting a child conceived in rape is visiting more violence upon the woman's body.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Yes, because liberals clearly have normalcy and well-adjustedness cornered.

Please, enlighten me about the outrage in saying that aborting a child conceived in rape is visiting more violence upon the woman's body.

Because comparing abortion with rape is dumb and trivializes the horror of the act of rape on a woman?

Ask a rape victim who had to make the decision of aborting a fetus because of rape which act was the act of 'violence' for her.

Again, normal well adjusted people would understand this. Thus conservatives are clueless.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Because comparing abortion with rape is dumb and trivializes the horror of the act of rape on a woman?

Ask a rape victim who had to make the decision of aborting a fetus because of rape which act was the act of 'violence' for her.

Again, normal well adjusted people would understand this. Thus conservatives are clueless.

It doesn't trivialize it in the slightest. It's saying, "There's already been violence done. There need not be further violence."

Feb 6, 2007
It doesn't trivialize it in the slightest. It's saying, "There's already been violence done. There need not be further violence."
It does though. The two aren't even remotely comparable. And calling abortion an "act of violence" is ridiculous anyway. It's a medical procedure. By this guy's logic, everyone who has had surgery performed is a stabbing victim. A voluntary medical procedure cannot be compared to a rape. It just can't.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
It does though. The two aren't even remotely comparable. And calling abortion an "act of violence" is ridiculous anyway. It's a medical procedure. By this guy's logic, everyone who has had surgery performed is a stabbing victim. A voluntary medical procedure cannot be compared to a rape. It just can't.

You guys are reaching tellingly hard. To compare is not to equate. He didn't equate the violence of rape with the violence of abortion. He said abortion is violent. And that we shouldn't visit more violence upon the already violated.

He believes that abortion is violent. So do I. Right or wrong, there's nothing outrageous in the belief that abortion violates the mother as well as the child.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You guys are reaching tellingly hard. To compare is not to equate. He didn't equate the violence of rape with the violence of abortion. He said abortion is violent. And that we shouldn't visit more violence upon the already violated.

He believes that abortion is violent. So do I. Right or wrong, there's nothing outrageous in the belief that abortion violates the mother as well as the child.

What a load of BS.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

He said it's "'more violence on woman's body"

It's clearly not. Rape is violence on a woman's body, abortion is not.

I don't expect conservatives to understand this of course.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
He said it's "'more violence on woman's body"

It's clearly not. Rape is violence on a woman's body, abortion is not.

I don't expect conservatives to understand this of course.

Okay. So the outrage stems from the idea that abortion isn't violent according to liberals?

That's pretty thin.

Feb 6, 2007
I was just struck by the irony of the GOP attempting to pass laws that required transvaginal probes before a woman could legally get an abortion. Apparently the abortion itself is violence visited upon a woman's body, but sticking a cold plastic rod up there is not only acceptable, it's mandatory.

Why is the GOP so interested in turning women into broodmares?

Feb 6, 2007
Okay. So the outrage stems from the idea that abortion isn't violent according to liberals?

That's pretty thin.
Abortion isn't violent. What do you think they're doing, sticking an immersion blender up a woman's cooch and turning her uterus into a smoothie? It's significantly less violent then a lot of surgeries. You never hear conservatives lamenting the violence of appendectomies.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I was just struck by the irony of the GOP attempting to pass laws that required transvaginal probes before a woman could legally get an abortion. Apparently the abortion itself is violence visited upon a woman's body, but sticking a cold plastic rod up there is not only acceptable, it's mandatory.

Why is the GOP so interested in turning women into broodmares?

Yes, and it was rejected in favor of the bill which replaced it with normal ultrasounds.

Shrug. Sticking anything up there, including a speculum and curette, could be described as violence.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Abortion isn't violent. What do you think they're doing, sticking an immersion blender up a woman's cooch and turning her uterus into a smoothie? It's significantly less violent then a lot of surgeries. You never hear conservatives lamenting the violence of appendectomies.

I'm not going to argue whether it's violent or not. I'm simply saying that if that's the source of the outrage in this thread, as if the guy said something as retarded as what Akin said, then it's pretty lame.

Feb 6, 2007
Why is the Democratic Party so interested in forcing men to support women's choices? Don't they think women are equal to men and can be responsible for themselves?
Women and men are equivalent in society; they aren't equivalent in biology. The day men can carry a fetus to term in their wombs, you'll hear me arguing in favor of the rights of men to decide to get an abortion. Ditto for women who spontaneously grow a set of testicles and want a vasectomy.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes, and it was rejected in favor of the bill which replaced it with normal ultrasounds.

Shrug. Sticking anything up there, including a speculum and curette, could be described as violence.

Maybe someday mommy will tell you how babies are made.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That's all it deserves. You would deny a Woman the Right to an Abortion in the case of Rape because it would be further violence against her. BS.

Speaking for myself, no I wouldn't. Although I'm still conflicted about it, I'm in favor of abortions resulting from rape, provided they're as early as possible.

I'm defending this guy not because I agree with him about abortion regarding rape, but because he's being demonized for the apparently unacceptably horrible belief that abortion is violent.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

That's pretty thin.

ON WOMEN'S BODIES. Are you batshit retarded? (this is rhetorical no need to answer)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Speaking for myself, no I wouldn't. Although I'm still conflicted about it, I'm in favor of abortions resulting from rape, provided they're as early as possible.

I'm defending this guy not because I agree with him about abortion regarding rape, but because he's being demonized for the apparently unacceptably horrible belief that abortion is violent.

He is being criticized for being utterly callous and stupid.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
ON WOMEN'S BODIES. Are you batshit retarded? (this is rhetorical no need to answer)

Yes. On women's bodies. There's nothing outrageous about the belief that killing one's own child in utero is as violent to the mother as it is to the child.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I'm a conservative and in the case of rape I can understand a women wanting to abort the fetus and have no issue with this being done in the first trimester.

I don't believe in using abortion as a means of birth control though it's a women's right to make this decision.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Yes. On women's bodies. There's nothing outrageous about the belief that killing one's own child in utero is as violent to the mother as it is to the child.

I'm going to give you a hint: Abortion is the women's choice, rape is not.

And you should really ask rape victims what they consider violence. I hope you don't mind getting punched in the face when you try to make your case.