"The rape thing"

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Sometimes I wish we could abort religion and the GOP in one fell swoop.

Women could finally stop worrying about their right to choose, gays could marry openly everywhere, and the world would be a better place in general.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Breaking news! A minor radical politician says radical things!!! Demonize anyone even remotely associated with this person! For america!

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah... another one...

Republican candidate calls aborting rapist's child 'more violence on woman's body'

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._1_abortion-personal-medical-decisions-incest

When provoked, and after all the furor on the subject of abortion and rape during the last couple weeks, why keep opening your mouth about it?

This is why I don't want the Republican to get control of the statehouse. This is the type of crap that gets the most attention when they're in control.

Not trying to derail.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
You would think that the GOP would be coaching candidates right now to just shut up about anything rape related until after the election is over.

If the GOP's goal is to arouse the hatred of women by threatening planned parenthood and continuously talking stupid about rape, then their goal has been accomplished.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
You would think that the GOP would be coaching candidates right now to just shut up about anything rape related until after the election is over.

If the GOP's goal is to arouse the hatred of women by threatening planned parenthood and continuously talking stupid about rape, then their goal has been accomplished.

Perhaps some Republican politicians don't receive orders from on high and actually think for themselves but... oh wait that would contradict 2/3 of this forum's world-view. People can't think for themselves and still come to irrational conclusions. Can't be that.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Perhaps some Republican politicians don't receive orders from on high and actually think for themselves but... oh wait that would contradict 2/3 of this forum's world-view. People can't think for themselves and still come to irrational conclusions. Can't be that.

That's precisely what happened with the wave of tea party members that joined congress; they grew out of control and even John Boehner had trouble controlling them.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009

I don't think they're thinking at all.

Problem is, while the radicals tend to stick out the most, the view towards abortion remains the same to the majority of the party. And the problem with that is it all primarily stems from a religious base, which, IMO, should have nothing to do with politics or law.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Republican candidate for... Snohomish County Council.

BREAKING NEWS! A MINOR RADICAL POLITICIAN SAYS RADICAL THINGS!!! DEMONIZE ANYONE EVEN REMOTELY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PERSON! FOR AMERICA!

I think that if a politician for one of the main three UK parties came out with some of the crap I've heard from these guys, they would be asked to resign and that would be the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, politicians from the main three do say idiotic things, like one person endorsing raising the speed limit in motorways "because then there would be less vehicle emissions because their journey would be over sooner", just not idiotic like having a go at a significant portion of the population type idiotic :)

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Republican candidate for... Snohomish County Council.

BREAKING NEWS! A MINOR RADICAL POLITICIAN SAYS RADICAL THINGS!!! DEMONIZE ANYONE EVEN REMOTELY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PERSON! FOR AMERICA!

Good lord. Read: "Tea Party politician John Koster, the Republican nominee for a hotly contested congressional seat in Washington state"

He's currently a councilman.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
bbb_0.gif

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Breaking news! A minor radical politician says radical things!!! Demonize anyone even remotely associated with this person! For america!

Nice try on marginalizing someone who states your party's OFFICIAL platform. Face it, the official doctrine of the GOP is repugnant to the vast majority of Americans, and the only defense the GOP can mount is to banish those who profess to follow the party's official doctrine.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nice try on marginalizing someone who states your party's OFFICIAL platform. Face it, the official doctrine of the GOP is repugnant to the vast majority of Americans, and the only defense the GOP can mount is to banish those who profess to follow the party's official doctrine.

Just becuase I don't put up with the witch hunt demonization of Republicans, everyone assumes I'm Republican. I voted Democrat for senator just a few days ago, morons.

And point me to where "Rape Babies are a Gift From God" or any variation thereof is part of the central GOP doctrine. You can imply it all you want, doesn't make it true. If we're accepting implications as fact, then Democrats are communists. Sounds stupid? So does your statement.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

The idea that conservatives think for themselves is a contradiction of reality.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Good lord. Read: "Tea Party politician John Koster, the Republican nominee for a hotly contested congressional seat in Washington state"

He's currently a councilman.

Fine, but a congressman's power is extremely limited. If we're going to start screaming and ranting about radical congresssmen/women saying radical/stupid things, well, little late for that. There will always be moronic fringe radicals. This is not news.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Problem is Republicans across the states have enacted legislation hostile towards women's rights. Vaginal ultrasounds, personhood amendments, the Republican Party platform, etc

Forgot something, a VP candidate who tried to redefine rape making it harder for women to report the crime.

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
In the past, Republicans were big on The Three R's - reading, writing, and arithmetic...

Today's GOP is still big on The Three R's - Rape, Rape and Rape.....

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

How many "minor radical" politicians does it take to change laws? Demonize women's rights? Roll back voting? Splash acid on girls or shoot them?

Just ask Afghanistan or Pakistan how many "minor radicals" it takes. I am sure they'll tell you, except they won't because they live in fear of "minor radicals".

Excusing this behavior is disgusting.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How many "minor radical" politicians does it take to change laws? Demonize women's rights? Roll back voting? Splash acid on girls or shoot them?

Just ask Afghanistan or Pakistan how many "minor radicals" it takes. I am sure they'll tell you, except they won't because they live in fear of "minor radicals".

Enough to write the GOP platform

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

What behavior am I excusing? The right of people to express opinions and run for office? Gee, how horrible of me. If we do that, then people who express opinions I disagree with might get support and get elected. Holy shit how horrible! :rolleyes:

If you had any knowledge of history you'd know we're living in just about the most widespread socially liberal society the modern world has ever seen, and the long-standing trend is more social liberalization, not less. I imagine abortion will cease to be a serious issue within a decade or two, as will gay marriage, and people like you will find some new sky-is-falling cause to cram up your ass.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Problem is Republicans across the states have enacted legislation hostile towards women's rights. Vaginal ultrasounds, personhood amendments, the Republican Party platform, etc

Forgot something, a VP candidate who tried to redefine rape making it harder for women to report the crime.

At worst, they won't last. At best, they won't get anywhere.

Oh, and way to assign a motivation you know nothing about to an action you didn't specifically define. Brilliant argument there. Perfection. :p Seriously, read your own bias sources. Thinkprogress itself contradicts you.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ul-ryan-partnered-to-redefine-rape/?mobile=nc

The bill was concerned with federal abortion funding. It had nothing to do with reporting the crime or changing criminal code, which in cases of rape are typically a state matter in the first place.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Fine, but a congressman's power is extremely limited. If we're going to start screaming and ranting about radical congresssmen/women saying radical/stupid things, well, little late for that. There will always be moronic fringe radicals. This is not news.

As a single person, yes a fringe radical has little power.
You get enough of those fringe radicals together and they start to be able to push their fringe radical agenda.
It also isn't that they just said something stupid and made a gaffe, they actually believe what they are saying. That is just deep down scary.