The Perception Gap

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
This is a study done to determine why there is the perception of extreme partisanship.

https://perceptiongap.us/

Article that sums the study up: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ahoo&utm_campaign=yahoo-non-hosted&yptr=yahoo

Considering I tend to look at liberals/conservatives ; democrats/conservatives as an outdated divisive institution as well as what I see as extreme partisanship flourishing, I found this study to be interesting. You can take the quiz yourself and it rates your perception of the other 'side'.

I am an independant and turns out I understand how republicans think way more than I understand democrats....this actually explains a few things, but also is in part because the democratic split is a little wider than it used to be.

One interesting excerpt from this study is their take on education:

Education Doesn’t Help, Either

Education is intended to make us better informed about the world, so we’d expect that the more educated you become, the more you understand what other Americans think. In fact, the more educated a person is, the worse their Perception Gap – with one critical exception. This trend only holds true for Democrats, not Republicans. In other words, while Republicans’ misperceptions of Democrats do not improve with higher levels of education, Democrats’ understanding of Republicans actually gets worse with every additional degree they earn. This effect is so strong that Democrats without a high school diploma are three times more accurate than those with a postgraduate degree.

Basically what it shows is that there isn't as much 'extremism' out there as everyone thinks. I can't say if it's true or not, because it sure seems like there's a lot more extremism out there, but maybe that's a skew from this forum. Most everyone else I know is a conservative so that also would explain why I apparently understand their views better (although usually don't agree with them).

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
30% for me.
Same here.

The issue for me is I was basing my answers on how republicans in power and on forums respond to those issues. Not necessarily on how generic citizens who are republicans would answer a survey.
Not sure if this perception check is useful or not.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Same here.

The issue for me is I was basing my answers on how republicans in power and on forums respond to those issues. Not necessarily on how generic citizens who are republicans would answer a survey.
Not sure if this perception check is useful or not.

Mine were based on out in the wild citizens, but I live in a pretty conservative area, but yea, I agree...hard to tell really. But then again -- I suppose your perception is based on who you are around or interact with, so even doing what you say should be how you would perceive them.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I screwed up and answered what I believe instead of what I think others believe. The gap was 11% if I'd answered correctly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Does it really matter what Republicans say they believe in when they believe in Trump? Maybe they're the ones who have a gap between what they believe In & reality itself, huh?

Reactions: ewdotson and dank69

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
One major problem with some of those questions is that the answer Republicans give doesn't reflect the actions of the people they elect. It's all well and good saying "I'm not against immigration, I'm just against illegal immigration", but when the party you vote for repeatedly does things designed to negatively impact all immigrants that just proves that the 'negative' perception of you from Democrats is actually more accurate than your perception of yourself in that regard. Same with something like racism. It's all well and good saying you believe racism exists in the county and that you are against it, but if the party you support repeatedly acts against that sentiment then, once again, it just means that your own perception of your beliefs doesn't line up with reality.

Reactions: ewdotson and dank69

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That survey didn't make any sense to me.

For Democrats I got a gap of 35%, for Republicans I got a gap of 0%.

The first question was, Democrats believe police are bad people. I put that 10% of Democrats think that, it said I had a huge gap in that question. Are they saying a lot of Democrats think police are bad?

Reactions: UberNeuman

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

The first question was, Democrats believe police are bad people. I put that 10% of Democrats think that, it said I had a huge gap in that question. Are they saying a lot of Democrats think police are bad?

yea, this one threw me too and I was way off. They are saying that in 'reality' over 50% of democrats think police are bad people. Then when I thought about it more, it kind of made some sense. Conservatives don't have issues with police for the most part, but minorities do, and I think more minorities are democrats than republicans (think along the lines of cops shooting blacks etc). That's probably only a part of it, but things like this might explain it.

However, the %'s are only in the scope of who was surveyed and who's answered the questions.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
One major problem with some of those questions is that the answer Republicans give doesn't reflect the actions of the people they elect. It's all well and good saying "I'm not against immigration, I'm just against illegal immigration", but when the party you vote for repeatedly does things designed to negatively impact all immigrants that just proves that the 'negative' perception of you from Democrats is actually more accurate than your perception of yourself in that regard. Same with something like racism. It's all well and good saying you believe racism exists in the county and that you are against it, but if the party you support repeatedly acts against that sentiment then, once again, it just means that your own perception of your beliefs doesn't line up with reality.

That isn't the point of it. Read the context portion of what they are actually trying to accomplish with this information. It isn't about changing the politicians or policies, but changing the empathy/attitude towards of the voters towards each other. I can't say how seriously we can take the results, but I still find it interesting and I think some of it has merit.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Does it really matter what Republicans say they believe in when they believe in Trump? Maybe they're the ones who have a gap between what they believe In & reality itself, huh?

You know republicans existed before Trump and they'll exist after right? Check your own bias. If you aren't willing to understand people you disagree with why should they try to understand you or your views?

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

They screwed that one up. It asks you to determine the opposite of what the perception gap is.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You know republicans existed before Trump and they'll exist after right? Check your own bias. If you aren't willing to understand people you disagree with why should they try to understand you or your views?
If we don`t vote Trump out nothing will exist as we know it, after Trump......

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Not at all true. Trump is just a correction to the wrong course obama sailed. Trump will leave office, and we'll be better for him being president, despite his inability to be president. Ironic.

Wake up to the message that society sent. We elected someone who had no business being president, just to stop the nonsense leftist crap.

That right there, tells you society didn't want things to exist as they were, that drastic measures had to happen.

Only a severe flaw in government would cause Trump to be elected. Think about that. Government is not supposed to lead a free society, it's supposed to serve that society.

The moment that government imposes, that's the opposite of freedom.

There is no democrat that can serve the people because their polarized position is to force things on the people. It is a bit crazy, that this was their reaction to go so far left.

It is also crazy the republicans went so far right but now I am over-generalizing, but in the end, forcing things upon society is the opposite of freedom. You can't have it both ways.

The biggest mistake or stereotype might be to assume that if someone prefers either political party, that this automatically means they agree with the most extreme sentiments within that party. That is rarely the case, the average citizen understands that it's a give and take between two parties and wishes they weren't so divided.

It's a bit of a sick joke when your government goes to war against itself.

Last edited:

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
^ Not at all true. Trump is just a correction to the wrong course obama sailed. Trump will leave office, and we'll be better for him being president, despite his inability to be president. Ironic.

Wake up to the message that society sent. We elected someone who had no business being president, just to stop the nonsense leftist crap.

That right there, tells you society didn't want things to exist as they were, that drastic measures had to happen.

Only a severe flaw in government would cause Trump to be elected. Think about that. Government is not supposed to lead a free society, it's supposed to serve that society.

There is no democrat that can serve the people because their polarized position is to force things on the people. It is a bit crazy, that this was their reaction to go so far left.

It is also crazy the republicans went so far right but now I am over-generalizing, but in the end, forcing things upon society is the opposite of freedom. You can't have it both ways.

The biggest mistake or stereotype might be to assume that if someone prefers either political party, that this automatically means they agree with the most extreme sentiments within that party. That is rarely the case, the average citizen understands that it's a give and take between two parties and wishes they weren't so divided.

A new retard has joined the fray. Welcome.

Reactions: dank69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The republican party is Trump now. Sorry you don't like that. So is evangelicanism.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Graduate degree holding registered Dem in his mid 30s. Gap: -1%.

That score notwithstanding, I think this is pretty loose "science."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

wtf happened to your brain?