The Official Windows 8 User Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ViRGE, Aug 3, 2012.

1. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

Just upgraded my work desktop as well which was also running KAS AV 2012. From the time I did my work laptop on the 26th to now, KAS has already configured a nice upgrade utility which automatically upgrades you to 2013. It was a manually process on the 26th.
    In case anyone cared :)

-Luke

2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Steam seems to work fine for me, all my games seem fine. SLI didn't work right for me at first either. I ended up installing Nvidia drivers over the top and then everything worked. Odd...must have been an issue when the drivers transferred over to Windows 8. Are you talking about dragging the metro apps' window from the top down to the bottom? That's the equivalent of pressing the big red X on the desktop.

You can pin the folder to the start menu or create a shortcut and pin that. Just right click on it and you should have the option.

#377 cmdrdredd, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. abaez

abaez Diamond Member

How do you uninstall/disable the native win8 flash? :( Anyone? Can't find anything on this.

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I don't think you can. So someone like me who uses Chrome which has it's own flash support, is stuck with something there that doesn't need to be.

Adobe's PDF on the subject says the following. Basically it's embedded into IE10

5. LOL_Wut_Axel

LOL_Wut_Axel Diamond Member

I found some other small annoyances: even though Start8 can disable all the hot corners, if your cursor goes to the top of the screen you still get the hand gesture for closing an app. When you're browsing, for example, this can become annoying because even though you're selecting a tab it does nothing. Another thing is that when you want to select an internet connection on the taskbar a stupid Metro menu pops from the left.

AFAIK there is no way to resolve these two.

6. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I'm not seeing the gesture you refer to at the top of my browser. I'm using Chrome, does that make a difference? The metro style bar to the right of the screen does pop up when I click my LAN connection on the task bar. If you right click it however you get the contextual menu with advanced options.

Does the metro bar that pops up change depending on the type of connection? I'm on Ethernet but say if I was on wifi would the information and options displayed be different?

7. abaez

abaez Diamond Member

How can you do this?

8. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Open IE and click the gear to enter settings. Click on manage add-ons. You will see an option for "Shockwave Flash Object". Disable that.

9. goodfella44

goodfella44 Junior Member

Anyone know a way in the metro/start screen where it defaults to all apps/tiles shown? I like the look of having the smaller icons instead of right clicking and click all apps to see them.

10. LOL_Wut_Axel

LOL_Wut_Axel Diamond Member

The problem with the gesture on the top of the screen happens when the app is not running full screen. Oh well.

The Metro bar for internet connections sucks. I wish it'd be like in Windows 7.

[​IMG]

11. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I don't see what sucks about it. It offers you your various wifi connection options so what else is missing? Granted there's no obvious options visible but as I don't use wifi on my windows 8 install I'm a bit lost as to what else there could be.

12. Rhonda the Sly

Rhonda the Sly Senior member

I'm guessing then that Ventrillo is a portable app. Windows looks in the Start Menu folder to get lists of available apps and Ventrillo hasn't added an entry. Type 'shell:common start menu' (remove common to access your local menu folder) and place a link for Ventrillo somewhere.

13. olds

olds Elite Member

How do I scan a file for a virus? Before, you right clicked and selected scan.

14. Quantos

Quantos Senior member

Well, I plan on giving W8 a try on my desktop later today. I'll probably dual boot it for now, just in case! It's working pretty well so far on my laptop. The main fear I have for my desktop is the fact that I have a dual monitor setup. I've heard of some people disliking the way that's handled in W8.

I don't think I'll install a start menu replacement for now; I'd like to see if I can get the start screen the way I'd like it to work. Basically that would be with as few interactions with metro apps as possible. Let's see how that goes! :cool:

15. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

Just did my 3rd computer, the living room PC. This time did a clean install on bare HDD, using the 'upgrade' DVD I had created earlier.
    A couple things on this one:
    -this mobo has an onboard realtek wifi, which 8 did not have drivers for. (ugh aren't we past this yet?). so I went out and grabbed 64bit 7 drivers which worked fine.
    -under activation it just says product id: not available so I'm not entirely sure if it's properly activated or not.

-Luke

16. abaez

abaez Diamond Member

17. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

Thanks. Now shows as activated

18. olds

olds Elite Member

That was in the Preview version. I now have the full version.

I still want to be able to scan single, downloaded files and found this:
    http://www.guidingtech.com/14276/add-scan-with-windows-defender-8-context-menu

They lost me here:
    "Step 5: Now create a new sub key under WindowsDefender and modify the data of the default DWORD to “C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe” -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file %1."

DWORD? I am not seeing that.
    Anyone try this and get it to work?

19. njdevilsfan87

njdevilsfan87 Golden Member

No it isn't. I have Win8 on my VM farm and it takes longer to hover my mouse over the right portion of the screen and wait for the menu to pop up and search something through it than it does to click start and search something on my Win7 gaming machine (both OS on SSDs). The search times feel pretty much identical, but Win7 is just more convenient to actually make the search.

It feels like it could be a great OS, but right now I can't get over start screen being the mandatory start button. The start screen should have just been an additional button (optional) in the task bar.

I don't regularly use the VM farm since all it does it just run VMs within Workstation 9 without much interference from me, so I can leave it. But Win8 is absolutely not being installed on my gaming machine for the time being.

#394 njdevilsfan87, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

When you create the Subkey an empty DWORD should be created by default. If not, create a new DWORD (right-click - > new -> DWORD).

#395 ViRGE, Nov 4, 2012
  21. olds

olds Elite Member

They don't say what to name the sub key. Does it make a difference?

22. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

I dont know if I'm using this pos right so far.

When I open an attachment ie picture or pdf, from a web browser, IE 10. It loads the picture in full screen, I hit escape, it goes to the photo wizard, does not bring me back to ie, when I alt f4 to close the photo wizard, it brings me back to the metro menu, so i gotta hit like 50 things to get back to the ie window.. wtf

23. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Windows+C key is faster

24. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

The whole thing is poorly phrased by them. You're creating a new DWORD, which they stupidly call a subkey.

In fact, just take the following code, dump it into a .reg file, and execute that.

Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender]
    "MUIVerb"="Scan With Windows Defender"
    "Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll"
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender\Command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file %1"

25. olds

olds Elite Member

Thanks ViRGE.
    Couldn't get it to work. I went to the bottom of the page to leave a comment and it seems, it doesn't work for anyone...

#400 olds, Nov 4, 2012