The Official Windows 8 User Thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Seems I have a problem with Win 8 (I think).
After watching videos for 15 mins (youtube or other), or sometimes playing a game, my sound volume is somehow lowered by a lot out of nowhere. I have to turn it back up on speaker knob for it to go normal. If you refresh the video or close/open the sound is back to normal.

I thought it was the default drivers that came with Win 8, but I installed drivers from Asus website and same thing. Really annoying, might go to Windows 7 and see if problem still happens.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Windows blue to my knowledge is simply a change in how windows version updates are issued and handled. You essentially buy an upgrade disk for a low price similar to apple's releases. They don't change the entire ui and whatnot with every release. Its more minor updates similar to a service pack but with a little bit more value added software included.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Hard to really correct you or assert you are correct, when few really know that much in way of details.

Early releases are Alpha, and Windows alpha releases hardly change much beyond some kernel tweaks when compared to the last RTM.

But yes, current information suggests "Windows Blue", likely to be titled Windows 9 or perhaps Windows 8.1, will be more or less a glorified Service Pack a la Mac OS X releases.
They may continue kernel point releases (6.0, 6.1, 6.2 - aka Vista, 7, 8) but shift that into yearly releases and slow down new features, or may do the opposite. Kernel may not change from one year to the next, or if it does the next may be 6.2.9300 but I'd expect the new trend to start with 6.3. The current standard tends to see x.x.9000-something as the final release version. So, perhaps the next one is 6.3.0.900, and the next stable release may be 6.3.2.400. Of course I'm just throwing numbers around, I have no idea how Microsoft intends to treat kernel updates between yearly releases. They might focus on more consumer-focused features between each release, with maybe every other or every three releases seeing a new major kernel point version (wonder what NT 7.0 will bring us) alongside new enterprise-focused features as well.

Or perhaps Windows for Enterprise will kind of split off, be a middle-man between the frequency of Windows Server releases and the yearly consumer releases... with the major kernel changes happening in each Enterprise release, and the consumer release of that particular year matches it and then continues the yearly mild-upgrade release cycle until the next Enterprise version drops.

That sounds like a reintroduction of convoluted Windows releases, so I kind of doubt that is what they intend - but this yearly cycle is going to cause some chafing in the enterprise world. Though, IIRC, any post-"Blue" Windows Store apps are supposed to be compatible with any version released after "Blue." How they intend to pull this off, I don't know. Then again, I may have just pulled that out of my bum. That could mean they don't plan on major overhauls all that often, and expect they can get away with only minimal changes to the base WinRT code platform.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Well. Windows 8 just put itself on my shitlist.

Last night played some Mass Effect 2, saved, then my internet went down. Fixed the internet/rebooted the modem, surfed the web a little and went to bed.

Woke up this morning.

I no longer had steam. No longer had firefox, no longer had about 30 programs that I had the night before. Gone. 400GB of games, gone. Literally all gone.

Why?

Hell if I know. But Windows 8 is acting like someone did a full system refresh. But no one did. So I lost all my installed programs.

Beyond pissed right now.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Well. Windows 8 just put itself on my shitlist.

Last night played some Mass Effect 2, saved, then my internet went down. Fixed the internet/rebooted the modem, surfed the web a little and went to bed.

Woke up this morning.

I no longer had steam. No longer had firefox, no longer had about 30 programs that I had the night before. Gone. 400GB of games, gone. Literally all gone.

Why?

Hell if I know. But Windows 8 is acting like someone did a full system refresh. But no one did. So I lost all my installed programs.

Beyond pissed right now.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's hard to believe that Windows deleted all this stuff and still left your PC in a functional state.

Have you checked the system event viewer for clues? This sounds more like someones practical joke rather than an operative system systematically uninstalling steam and deleting your games...

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's hard to believe that Windows deleted all this stuff and still left your PC in a functional state.

Have you checked the system event viewer for clues? This sounds more like someones practical joke rather than an operative system systematically uninstalling steam and deleting your games...

I am still trying to figure out what happened. Its just me and my girlfriend in my house. We both went to bed at the same time. Woke up at the same time. She never used the computer. She never touched my conputer. Windows said it needed to install a couple updates so I did. After the updates it was all gone.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I am still trying to figure out what happened. Its just me and my girlfriend in my house. We both went to bed at the same time. Woke up at the same time. She never used the computer. She never touched my conputer. Windows said it needed to install a couple updates so I did. After the updates it was all gone.
A possible explanation is that the update failed and Windows 8 used a System Restore point to restore your computer. Seeing as Windows usually takes a restore point before an update this is quite strange.

It's also very possible that you have a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) on your system which some script kiddie has managed to infect you with. That would give them remote access either via a terminal window or the GUI.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
A possible explanation is that the update failed and Windows 8 used a System Restore point to restore your computer. Seeing as Windows usually takes a restore point before an update this is quite strange.

It's also very possible that you have a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) on your system which some script kiddie has managed to infect you with. That would give them remote access either via a terminal window or the GUI.

I'm leaning towards the first. I highly doubt its the second. Clean Win 8 install have updated virus/spyware/malware protection. I think it was some unfortunate fluke/bug.