The Official Sony E3 2013 thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
so now the justification by the ps camp is "well at least ps+ is a better value than xbl" ?

Actually that is a valid argument. Yes it is dumb that you now have to pay to play games online, but at least with PS+ you are getting a lot of value for your money (free games that are < 6 months old, and discounts on other games). And you still don't need plus in order to use Netflix, HuLu etc, so at least they aren't arbitrarily cutting you off from your internet connection like MS does with XBL.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
You have to wonder how many publishers who already are implementing the DRM for the XB1 will just go ahead an implement the same thing on the PS4 now. This won't be something we'll probably know about until launch tough.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You have to wonder how many publishers who already are implementing the DRM for the XB1 will just go ahead an implement the same thing on the PS4 now. This won't be something we'll probably know about until launch tough.

The publisher has to make up their own system to do it on the PS4. Whereas the X1 they use the system MS has built.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
a lot of you are getting the "global ms drm" confused with the "ea online pass" type of drm.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

We might see something like PS4 games keep the online pass system where Xbone versions don't. So unless a publisher goes out of their way to implement hourly online checks into their actual game code, things should be the same as they are now pretty much.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The trouble with that statement is the ps4 won't have a built in backend server DRM system standing buy to be used. At best you'll be seeing some type of EA pass thing unless you think the publisher on their own is going to develop and deploy a call home MS type DRM scheme.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
We might see something like PS4 games keep the online pass system where Xbone versions don't. So unless a publisher goes out of their way to implement hourly online checks into their actual game code, things should be the same as they are now pretty much.

except that ea came out a month or so ago already stating they removed it...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't mind paying money if there are dedicated gameplay servers involved. I always thought it was awful that Microsoft charged money for what amounted to multiplayer matchmaking servers.

EDIT:

The publisher has to make up their own system to do it on the PS4. Whereas the X1 they use the system MS has built.

Just release a game with a code that you enter into the PSN Store. You've effectively mirrored the X1 distribution model except there is no way to sell the game just like there is no way to sell digital purchases on PSN or (the 360's) XBOX Live. The only thing they would have to work out is installing from disc to avoid the backlash of forcing users to download the game. You see people complaining about that with some PC games that are on Steam.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't mind paying money if there are dedicated gameplay servers involved. I always thought it was awful that Microsoft charged money for what amounted to multiplayer matchmaking servers.

well unless they change psn over the next few months, then you are going to mind paying money for playing online on ps4. ESPECIALLY if it is the crap quality that currently exists on psn (compared to xbl).

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The trouble with that statement is the ps4 won't have a built in backend server DRM system standing buy to be used. At best you'll be seeing some type of EA pass thing unless you think the publisher on their own is going to develop and deploy a call home MS type DRM scheme.

I have no doubt that someone will develop a stand-alone DRM service and sell it to game publishers as something they can integrate into their PS4 games eventually.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
well unless they change psn over the next few months, then you are going to mind paying money for playing online on ps4. ESPECIALLY if it is the crap quality that currently exists on psn (compared to xbl).

Well, keep in mind that XBOX Live Gold doesn't give me anything else! I don't watch Netflix or anything like that through the 360, so it was just online play. I get free games through PlayStation Plus, which is a nice benefit.

Also, didn't Sony state that they were beefing up their gaming network during the PS4 reveal? That might explain why they want to force people to pay for online services.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
I am pretty sure that I won't get the PS4 out the gate, because I really do want to see how their online functions and want to check out the controller. When I was younger, I broke my hand and playing for long periods of time on the ps3 actually hurts my hand.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

some of you keep saying this, i really think you are in the minority in this feeling

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
some of you keep saying this, i really think you are in the minority in this feeling

how many of the same games have you played on both ps3 and xbox 360? i know you said you pretty much ONLY played halo on 360, so i'm guessing that is maybe the only game you've played on live, which isn't on ps3.

if you play the same game on both consoles for an extended period of time, it is night and day difference.

hell with sf4, mvc3, and umvc3, i can play with the same exact people, in the same exact physical locations, and we will have a MUCH crappier connection on the ps3, with less bars, more lag, etc. fighters on ps3 are pretty much unplayable on psn.

same thing goes for cod games.

and this is playing with people who are physically within 50 miles of me.

Mitsurux

Dec 12, 2012

Part of it was simply the time that XBL was conceived/created, console online gameing up to that point was quite a different beast (not unified, every publisher on their own, etc.), the draw of XBL was that by paying this one fee all games would would be playable (that had on-line features), under this one ubmbrella, no fear of severs being shut down, or fragmented features/support etc.

Since then XBL has evolved (outside servers have been allowed..EA, SE etc.,), a shift to services and apps, as well as the general view of what a consoles on-line service should consist of......

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I have heard it quite a few places. The FCG doesn't like PSN at all, and generally frowns on anything not GGPO based.

I am still worried about Sony's mention of "meaningful friends" or some garbage. It is sounding a lot like I am going to have to use Facebook or they are modeling it like some kind of social media service for my friendslist. No thank you Sony, I don't want that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes but the PS4 has it's own network CPU to offload all those tasks, and the system was built around connectivity this time. Not like before where it was added on the side and was clunky.

I have heard it quite a few places. The FCG doesn't like PSN at all, and generally frowns on anything not GGPO based.

I am still worried about Sony's mention of "meaningful friends" or some garbage. It is sounding a lot like I am going to have to use Facebook or they are modeling it like some kind of social media service for my friendslist. No thank you Sony, I don't want that.

Facebook connectivity and youtube connectivity is optional. You can post screenshots, videos, and posts about your trophies etc.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
how many of the same games have you played on both ps3 and xbox 360? i know you said you pretty much ONLY played halo on 360, so i'm guessing that is maybe the only game you've played on live, which isn't on ps3.

if you play the same game on both consoles for an extended period of time, it is night and day difference.

You can see it just by connecting to their respective marketplace apps.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yeah, but look at the value that ps+ gives gamers with free games and heavily discounted games every single week. And their free games are 5 year old games that you can get for $2.50 at a flea market.

No, there have been many recent games. Sleeping Dogs was free and it's a good recent game.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I have no doubt that someone will develop a stand-alone DRM service and sell it to game publishers as something they can integrate into their PS4 games eventually.
That's my concern as well. The fact of the matter is that you can technically already implement such a system even on PS3-style PSN. Simply make the game completely locked out, and make the ability to play the game be DLC, with a voucher for that DLC in the retail package. That would completely lock down a game to an account, shutting out used sales and preventing it from being played on more than however many consoles Sony allows a game to be spread over (2?).

This doesn't recreate the check-in feature, but then it's not really necessary. Checking in is only necessary if you intend to allow used game sales and game trading at all (to revoke old licenses).

Oct 25, 2006

hell with sf4, mvc3, and umvc3, i can play with the same exact people, in the same exact physical locations, and we will have a MUCH crappier connection on the ps3, with less bars, more lag, etc. fighters on ps3 are pretty much unplayable on psn.

same thing goes for cod games.

and this is playing with people who are physically within 50 miles of me.

Funny, because I've lived with room mates and in total we had 2 360's and 2 PS3's in the same house, with the same games on both consoles and we've never experienced this mismatch in connection.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
That's my concern as well. The fact of the matter is that you can technically already implement such a system even on PS3-style PSN. Simply make the game completely locked out, and make the ability to play the game be DLC, with a voucher for that DLC in the retail package. That would completely lock down a game to an account, shutting out used sales and preventing it from being played on more than however many consoles Sony allows a game to be spread over (2?).

This doesn't recreate the check-in feature, but then it's not really necessary. Checking in is only necessary if you intend to allow used game sales and game trading at all (to revoke old licenses).

Sony cleared that up today. For disk based games all a 3rd party can do is online passes. Sony will not help them with it either they must do it on their own.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
consider yourself lucky.

Me and my friend were just kicked out of the PSN while playing SFIV:AE and it prevented us from creating another match. We tried for another few minutes and could never connect. This crap better not happen when I'm paying for it.