The Official MTG Thread - All MTG stuff in here

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
MTG's talking about a national divorce over immigration? o_O

I thought we were talking about tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free. When did that escalate to civil war?!
She will be very sad when she learns how utterly dependent red states are on blue state subsidies.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
She will be very sad when she learns how utterly dependent red states are on blue state subsidies.

Hopefully she doesn't learn and pushes ahead.

I can't wait for my taxes to be spent on blue state priorities!

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
She will be more sad when she discovers that in the past the SCOTUS already ruled that a state can not leave the union.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't know if she's insane or if she's just being a professional wrestling-style heel.
Why not both, I guess...

Reactions: hal2kilo

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
She will be more sad when she discovers that in the past the SCOTUS already ruled that a state can not leave the union.

Who gives a rats ass about what SCOTUS thinks -- Trump soonish

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Hasn't been an update on this thread for a while...

(I subscribe to this podcast, looking forward to hearing this informative exchange...funnily enough, though, I find Emily Maitlis and her fellow presenter John Sopal a trifle irritating myself, because they have a real "public school bantz" thing they do...one of those British "class" things...still find the podcast interesting though)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know if someone posted this here, but in case not, it certainly belongs here:

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
She just makes it so easy to absolutely loathe her.
I'll make it even easier: In an article in today's New York Times...

Marjorie Taylor Greene, is predicting end times. “God is sending America strong signs to tell us to repent,” she tweeted on Friday. “Earthquakes and eclipses and many more things to come. I pray that our country listens.”

• Wow
Reactions: pmv

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Another quotation from that article:

The Washington Post’s Josh Dawsey reported that since Trump put his daughter-in-law in charge of the Republican National Committee, prospective employees are asked if they think the election was stolen. Republicans once burbled on about patriotism and defending America. Now denying democracy is a litmus test for employment in the Formerly Grand Old Party

• Wow

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Wow. Absolutely, stark-staring mad. She's like some stereotypical primitive barbarian from some Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ryder Haggard, or Tin-Tin adventure. Eclipses as messages from God.

Did the US ever develop science? Did the country ever reach that level of development?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

As I've been saying as of late: These people need to strip naked and venture forth into the woods - and dont come back until they have invented fire. I am serious. A couple of evolutionary steps be missing here.

Reactions: dank69

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The comments are precious. Here's a simple one that's pithy and sweet...

My name is Bob
Louisiana
April 6

A day without Trump is a day with
Sunshine
Kindness
Humility
Sharing
Caring
Loving
Hope

330 Recommended

• Wow
Reactions: nakedfrog

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As I've been saying as of late: These people need to strip naked and venture forth into the woods - and dont come back until they have invented fire. I am serious. A couple of evolutionary steps be missing here.
This from a cool comment:

My favorite bumper sticker for this time is:

The Republican Party: Our bridge to the 11th century

• Haha

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Empty Greene said the New York City earthquake on Friday is a sign the nation needs to “repent.”

Ok Marge ... You were saying “A natural disaster might occur due to the presence of loathsome people and their property.” Which is functionally the same as saying “A natural disaster occurred due to the activities of immoral people.”

I Wonder how she’s gonna spin this?

Like a dog shaking off fleas, his very name irritates the earth.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Presumably the concequence of such a divorce will be a lot of economic migrants (and a few asylum-seekers) trying to cross the borders from red to blue states?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Presumably the concequence of such a divorce will be a lot of economic migrants (and a few asylum-seekers) trying to cross the borders from red to blue states?
Who knows? It would be chaos as red states are plunged into a Great Depression - for example 20% of Kentucky’s GDP is federal transfers. What happens if 20% of your economy evaporates overnight?

My guess is if there ever was some sort of national divorce it would be done in a way where they were gradually weaned off blue state support to mitigate the number of refugees.

It would be interesting to see what that red country would look like though. Florida and Texas are the only economically viable red states - the rest are a humanitarian disaster waiting to happen. Would Florida and Texas willingly shackle themselves to that?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Of course, look at their governors.

I've always said, maybe its better to let the New Confederacy (or Jesusland) have their states and be done with it.

Problem is, Jesusland will declare war at some point once they run out of money. After all, it's what Jesus himself would have done!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

I've always said, maybe its better to let the New Confederacy (or Jesusland) have their states and be done with it.

Problem is, Jesusland will declare war at some point once they run out of money. After all, it's what Jesus himself would have done!

Yeah most likely towards Mexico because they keep sending their darkies over and who doesn't want to take over nice towns like Acapulco and Cancun.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

The movie is coming out later this month ...