The official iPad thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Razor1289

Apr 5, 2003
I'm thinking about getting the new Ipad tomorrow, but the only that's holding me back is 1080p playback support. I have a lot of .mkv 1080p movies that I'd like to play on the Ipad without having to convert them or stream them from my PC. I've read from various sources that 1080p and sometimes 720p playback is choppy/unwatchable on Ipad 2.

Any thoughts?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I'm thinking about getting the new Ipad tomorrow, but the only that's holding me back is 1080p playback support. I have a lot of .mkv 1080p movies that I'd like to play on the Ipad without having to convert them or stream them from my PC. I've read from various sources that 1080p and sometimes 720p playback is choppy/unwatchable on Ipad 2.

Any thoughts?
Good post. I like you. :shy:

I have the answer for you. It's the lack of software support for decoding video files. Apple supports only their particular kind, and has to meet spec, such as file type, bitrate, and video resolutions! Look, I know the hardware is more than powerful to handle it, it's the crap software support! Sure you can go get a third party video playback software but like I said you will run into greater risk in system crash, because they are officially supported by Apple.

Look, I like Apple. It's a tasty fruit and I like the name. But compatibility is terrible.

ALL iPad series are made for average Joe like mom and dads grandsons and horses and pandas.. It's not for end users. This device is used for streaming videos from internet source! like youtube for example. It's not made to playback 1080i TS files or any AVC HD MPEG4 or MKV files! This is why I'm so mad....... For God sake, I have over 1600 MPEG2-TS 1080i files and how da hell am I gonna rip all that to Apple supported format?? And by doing that you are degrading the video quality which I am totally against of.

This is why, EH EH, nope. I'm not going to get sucked in to this Apple gadget again... I know I will just end up waste bunch of money and not get what I want.... my 6 year old Windows Server PC does all this beautifully without any problems. The bad is it can't move around as it's hooked up to my high-end display system.

Last edited:

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008

Any thoughts?

You can use AVPlayerHD to play all 720p MKVs without lag on the iPad 2.

For 1080p, I'm afraid the best solution is for you to reconvert them to MP4. Then again, I'll try that again on the iPad 3 when I get mine. I have a feeling it might just work.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I love my iPad 2, that said I'm on my 3rd one before I got a 'good' one.

1st one was around its launch, backlight bleeds like CRAZY.
2nd one had couple dust specks under the glass that I lived with for a while until it developed some sort of dull/discolored spots I'm the center of the screen.
3rd one has been perfect so far, but only had this one since October. Warranty is gone now though so here's hoping!

I'd love the new display but don't need the 4g and mine is plenty fast, so I'll probably skip this gen, not worth the 200$+ upgrade cost for something I just use casually/for travel.

Hope the launch goes well!
You so lucky you got a "near perfect" one. I don't buy perfect...():) Well, good for you. Mine wasn't so good.

Good idea. You are taking great risks. Who knows what kind of issues you could run into if you jump over to iPad 3? You got a nice iPad 2. Yeah I suggest you keep it.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
You can use AVPlayerHD to play all 720p MKVs without lag on the iPad 2.
That's what I had been using. He will be bound to crash. It's not stable depending on the codecs of the files he play... risky. Mine crashed at least 3~ 4 times everyday playing 720p mkv files.

Last edited:

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Weird, I never had it crash even considering how much I tax my iPad 2's RAM as a developer.

Then again, I don't watch MKVs on my iPad 2 daily. I do it occasionally. Just one movie alone takes up the entire device's storage.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Good post. I like you. :shy:

I have the answer for you. It's the lack of software support for decoding video files. Apple supports only their particular kind, and has to meet spec, such as file type, bitrate, and video resolutions! Look, I know the hardware is more than powerful to handle it, it's the crap software support! Sure you can go get a third party video playback software but like I said you will run into greater risk in system crash, because they are officially supported by Apple.

Look, I like Apple. It's a tasty fruit and I like the name. But compatibility is terrible.

ALL iPad series are made for average Joe like mom and dads grandsons and horses and pandas.. It's not for end users. This device is used for streaming videos from internet source! like youtube for example. It's not made to playback 1080i TS files or any AVC HD MPEG4 or MKV files! This is why I'm so mad....... For God sake, I have over 1600 MPEG2-TS 1080i files and how da hell am I gonna rip all that to Apple supported format?? And by doing that you are degrading the video quality which I am totally against of.

This is why, EH EH, nope. I'm not going to get sucked in to this Apple gadget again... I know I will just end up waste bunch of money and not get what I want.... my 6 year old Windows Server PC does all this beautifully without any problems. The bad is it can't move around as it's hooked up to my high-end display system.

Dude, its a tablet. Its got a 10" screen. You dont need a 30mbit nitrate with 7.1 sound. Do what I do. Transcode it when you're at home on your wifi with a media server (if you have 1600 m2ts files, I'm sure you have some kind of computer to transcode them) and if youre going to be going on a trip, then pull 10-20 things, convert them to low rate mp4 and put them on the tablet.

I just don't understand this notion of 'it has to store everything and play it natively.' But that's just me of course. You're going to have to accept some middle ground.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Nah, I see no point in having to stay up on a Thursday night, even for a brand new spanking toy.

Did that last year and the year before. This year, I wised up and pre-ordered. At worst, I'll only have my iPad to play with a few hours later than the other guys, but I don't waste precious time in a line. Samsung actually got a point with their ads.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Anyone go to walmart to get one?

Nope!

Mine will be here in the morn! :D

Crossing my fingers these iPads I get tomorrow have no defects.

To be honest with you, I know cheez is freaking out about it having problems, but I can't see this device having those problems. I mean honestly, before it was just a plain ordinary screen/resolution. Now, they actually are using the screen as a selling point and not just to be there. They wouldn't talk up the screen if it's going to have so many problems. Then again, it might, but I can't see it happening for this device.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Actually, I can confirm that the iPad 2 did have severe backlight bleeding problem with the screen. I went through 3 exchanges myself before deciding that the backlight bleed was probably inevitable.

I have never seen an iPad 2 that doesn't exhibit that backlight bleed in some way. That's the extent of the "problem".

However, I don't think you should lose sleep over it. Some screens do have it worse than the others (I have seen very few of those), but you generally don't see it unless you like staring at a black background at maximum brightness.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Dude, its a tablet. Its got a 10" screen. You dont need a 30mbit nitrate with 7.1 sound.
Yes you do. Well, maybe not for you, but for me Yes. I don't have to have 7.1 surround sound. But need best video quality possible.

There is obvious difference in PQ when running a 4-5 mbps ripped HD file and a 20 mbps uncompressed MPEG2-TS file. I can clearly see the difference on an iPad 2 display! If you can't see the difference, you need to get your eye balls checked out. D: If you don't know what to look for, then you are new in to this, seriously speaking. And having high bitrate doesn't mean all if the source is crappy (like how the original recording was done in PQ department).

Do what I do. Transcode it when you're at home on your wifi with a media server (if you have 1600 m2ts files, I'm sure you have some kind of computer to transcode them) and if youre going to be going on a trip, then pull 10-20 things, convert them to low rate mp4 and put them on the tablet.
I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying I want 1600 uncompressed HD files in my iPad 2. Are you crazy? It's impossible, and I have no desire to do so even if it had all that room. What I was getting at is how da hell am I gonna rip all 1600 1080i TS files to Apple supported format in my server computer?? It will take forever to rip them, not to mention run out of hard drive space, and most importantly, degrade PQ. Yeah, very smart! :rolleyes:

I just don't understand this notion of 'it has to store everything and play it natively.' But that's just me of course. You're going to have to accept some middle ground.
Like I said, you don't understand it because you misunderstood what I was getting at. Read above.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Nah, I see no point in having to stay up on a Thursday night, even for a brand new spanking toy.

Did that last year and the year before. This year, I wised up and pre-ordered. At worst, I'll only have my iPad to play with a few hours later than the other guys, but I don't waste precious time in a line. Samsung actually got a point with their ads.
I did the same thing last year or so ago for getting an iPad 2. I was literally freezing waiting in line when the temp was like 30 something F. There was a couple that brought a self-powered industrial heater that runs off fuel.... Hilarous! They invited me so I got some warmth. :D

I couldn't believe I did that stupid thing for an iPad 2. Never doing that again. If I have to get one, it will be ordered.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
To be honest with you, I know cheez is freaking out about it having problems, but I can't see this device having those problems. I mean honestly, before it was just a plain ordinary screen/resolution. Now, they actually are using the screen as a selling point and not just to be there. They wouldn't talk up the screen if it's going to have so many problems. Then again, it might, but I can't see it happening for this device.
Congrats for getting one. I do hope you won't get a bad one.
Who knows... maybe the iPad 3 might not get this backlight bleed problem if the display construction or design is different / improved. But I ain't counting on it. I will just sit back and let you guys post the findings. :)

Actually, I can confirm that the iPad 2 did have severe backlight bleeding problem with the screen. I went through 3 exchanges myself before deciding that the backlight bleed was probably inevitable.

I have never seen an iPad 2 that doesn't exhibit that backlight bleed in some way. That's the extent of the "problem".
Good post.

However, I don't think you should lose sleep over it. Some screens do have it worse than the others (I have seen very few of those), but you generally don't see it unless you like staring at a black background at maximum brightness.
You don't have to set brightness to max to see light bleeds. Even at 15% of brightness, in a dark room or dimmed room, you can see them. It's terrible if you take it out in the balcony at night and watch... OOO weee! light bleed!

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Crossing my fingers these iPads I get tomorrow have no defects.
There was a discussion on this somewhere and I can't find it but try building a pyramid cardbord box and make a hole at the top. Take that thing with you to Apple store and check for light bleeds.... someone invented this and was great.... :D

Last edited:

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Congrats for getting one. I do hope you won't get a bad one.
Who knows... maybe the iPad 3 might not get this backlight bleed problem if the display construction or design is different / improved. But I ain't counting on it. I will just sit back and let you guys post the findings. :)

I'll definitely let you know the instant I get my device. I'm going to put a black photo on it, turn the device on max brightness and go in the darkest room of my house. Then I'll report back with findings! :D

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks dlock13. Also try with 50% brightness as well. Much much appreciated. :)

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Sounds like not much has changed then. I learned to live with it last year, and it wasn't very disruptive at least.

Sounds like Apple's rush to production might cause backlash after all.

Still, I don't think I'll notice it that easily. Hint: white bezels mask backlight bleed.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for posting the link so i didnt have to :). I dont think this is just a rush job, according to macrumors forums on some products the QC has gotten worse as production went on. I think its just an LCD thing. Backlight bleed/flashlights are almost everywhere if you look close enough (read: me, im anal about it).

WELL...that being said, i just got my two ipads. Opened them up, cranked the brightness to 100%, checked a solid black image in a closet with no lights/windows at all.

iPad #1: not great, but not bad. I'd rate this one a 7/10. At 50% it was impossible to see. This had a couple bright spots, larger than #2.

iPad #2: pretty damn good, i'd give it a 8.5/10 (theres a spot at the top right i really wish wasnt there though, it'd be a 9.5/10 without it). At 50% brightness impossible to see.

Neither of mine look as perfect as the one in that picture though.

I'd like to note that you could partially see the little LED illuminators on the sides, though this is probably only because it was at max brightness. I've seen them on every image of the iPad people have posted. This, i think, is inevitable. Flashlights/clouds ("brightspots") are something else. When i say backlight bleed i mean the illuminators being locatable (ideally you'd never know they were there) AS WELL AS the backlight creating bright spots. My main concern are the flashlights/clouds though.

I think im gonna probably just keep these. I got one for me and one for my mom. I won't have time to play around with it until sunday or so, but upon initial inspection everything seems fine. I have a couple weeks to think about it though.

Last edited:

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
Already reports of yellow screens and backlight bleed. Ugh...

this happens every time apple releases a product

is there a perfect LCD with no yellow? few years ago people were going crazy over this on imacs. even if they couldn't see the yellow they would run some test that said the screen had yellow