The Official If Bernie Sanders wins the nomination thread.....

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The Official If Bernie Sanders DOES NOT win the nomination thread.....

Right here:

Nov 8, 2012
You'd think Donald Trump getting elected would get people to see that, you know, voting does matter.

Oh well Bernie... hopefully he'll be able to have some policy pull with Biden in the off chance Biden makes it past Trump.

I will say that the upcoming Presidential debates (if Trump doesn't chicken out) are going to be a damn sight to behold...

You would think that Trump's election would have taught fucktards on the opposing side that segregating political messages and agendas by race isn't going to help you win elections....

But... you know... here we are *stares at tweet posted above*

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
You would think that Trump's election would have taught fucktards on the opposing side that segregating political messages and agendas by race isn't going to help you win elections....

But... you know... here we are *stares at tweet posted above*

- I'm not sure that argument really holds up to any kind of scrutiny

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I like Bernie but Bernie is a strange bird.
When he's on his mark and giving his sermon, Bernie is quite convincing and hits the nail on the head every time. But when his peers, other politicians that Bernie respects dare to challenge Bernie, when that happens Bernie tends to back down and clam up.
As if Bernie loves the fight but only while Bernie is the guy swinging the gloves. When someone swings back, it throws Bernie off balance and hurts his feelings deeply.
Donald Trump doesn't bother Bernie, but attacks from Bernie's friends and associates, well that hurts.
Bernie has got to be a little peeved that so many candidates dropped out and yet not one of those dropouts endorsed Bernie Sanders. That hurts!
How does a Bernie Sanders balance hurt with grumpy?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I wonder why Bernie’s movement failed to get results with this winning platform??
6869e0efc0ca28e2aa9bfdc272b0505a.jpg

Not Bernie's platform, that's just one Twitter-user.

Though personally I think it's not far from the truth, depending very much on what one means by "America". One probably shouldn't be so quick to surrender the country to those who think they own it, though.

Seems that that particular twitterer was a Warren supporter till it came down to Sanders vs Biden, funnily enough.

Feb 4, 2009
So today was a weird day with me and voting locations.

Basic observation from today.
I voted in the morning, I saw zero people under 30
My neighbor needed a ride so I took her at 3PM, I saw one young person probably 20ish.
I stopped by another polling station to drop something off for a guy I know. I saw zero young people. Admittedly this was just in the parking lot.

All three visits I saw boomers.

I keep hearing about how all these young people are going to get out and vote for Bernie but I didn’t see it today.

BTW I voted Bernie

Past self here are the youth numbers, Mass was down vs 2016

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Past self here are the youth numbers, Mass was down vs 2016

Well, they could be like a lot of other people, just waiting to vote for whoever isn’t trump.

I didn’t vote in the primary mainly because it doesn’t matter who gets the nomination, I’ll be voting for them regardless so why not let those that are passionate about their candidate pick them for everyone else?

I’m still holding on to my prediction though that this will be a record turn out and trump will lose badly. I’ll even stand by my prediction that it will be the youth vote, women, and minorities that really tip the scales against trump.

Reactions: hal2kilo

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
Well, they could be like a lot of other people, just waiting to vote for whoever isn’t trump.

I didn’t vote in the primary mainly because it doesn’t matter who gets the nomination, I’ll be voting for them regardless so why not let those that are passionate about their candidate pick them for everyone else?

I’m still holding on to my prediction though that this will be a record turn out and trump will lose badly. I’ll even stand by my prediction that it will be the youth vote, women, and minorities that really tip the scales against trump.

I agree,

But, as far as Bernie goes, the youth not showing up hurt him immensely. From what I understand - 13% of "young people" bothered to vote on Tuesday.

Bernie was very popular among my daughter and her friends, but out of 10 or so in her click, only my daughter and one other bothered to actually vote. And she only went because I insisted.

The reason given to me by these kids why they are disinterested is because politics and pretty much any official establishment of politics, to them is a "hurricane of fuckin' lies" and I quote. They'd rather not grace with their attention. They don't naturally understand that the roar of the storm is made up of many millions of tiny voices just like theirs, and they really don't have a concept of just how different opinions can get. None of it makes sense, and none of it seems to want to make sense, so they prefer to just do their daily good deeds and hope that's enough to make the world a better place.

All the soaring rhetoric and energy in the world fall on deaf ears until potential voters see how they fit in to the election process, and the world that election process hopes to build. In that regard, politicians consistently and uniformly fail to reach young adults who are still prioritizing their lives and pondering how abstract and ungratifying (in the short term) things like voting fits into their worldview. They just see a big mess of ugliness they'd rather not feed. Its built into the nature of the system. Many young people just don't vote as much as older people because they don't have the life experience to understand that civics is important.

How you actually translate this into increased participation, I don't know. I've voted in every general election that I've been aware of since I was 18, but didn't start voting in primaries until I got to about 30, as I rarely had (or have now) any particular affinity for either party, nor did I want to end up on their lists. Young people tend to be apathetic about politics and no matter how much talk of "revolution" happens I just think not enough are that motivated or true enough believers to vote. Most people young and old don't consume political grievance and just go about their daily lives.

Reactions: ivwshane

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It is hard not to get irritated with young people who go on about politics but never bloody vote. OK, if you're an anarchist and it's a point-of-principle I guess I can respect that (though if that's your excuse for not voting, I better see you smashing up banks and throwing molotovs in riots on a regular basis or I won't believe you). But otherwise, you're being a mug and a dupe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanatical Meat

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Marked for revisit and LOLZ. ;)

Reactions: ivwshane

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

But, as far as Bernie goes, the youth not showing up hurt him immensely. From what I understand - 13% of "young people" bothered to vote on Tuesday.

Bernie was very popular among my daughter and her friends, but out of 10 or so in her click, only my daughter and one other bothered to actually vote. And she only went because I insisted.

The reason given to me by these kids why they are disinterested is because politics and pretty much any official establishment of politics, to them is a "hurricane of fuckin' lies" and I quote. They'd rather not grace with their attention. They don't naturally understand that the roar of the storm is made up of many millions of tiny voices just like theirs, and they really don't have a concept of just how different opinions can get. None of it makes sense, and none of it seems to want to make sense, so they prefer to just do their daily good deeds and hope that's enough to make the world a better place.

All the soaring rhetoric and energy in the world fall on deaf ears until potential voters see how they fit in to the election process, and the world that election process hopes to build. In that regard, politicians consistently and uniformly fail to reach young adults who are still prioritizing their lives and pondering how abstract and ungratifying (in the short term) things like voting fits into their worldview. They just see a big mess of ugliness they'd rather not feed. Its built into the nature of the system. Many young people just don't vote as much as older people because they don't have the life experience to understand that civics is important.

How you actually translate this into increased participation, I don't know. I've voted in every general election that I've been aware of since I was 18, but didn't start voting in primaries until I got to about 30, as I rarely had (or have now) any particular affinity for either party, nor did I want to end up on their lists. Young people tend to be apathetic about politics and no matter how much talk of "revolution" happens I just think not enough are that motivated or true enough believers to vote. Most people young and old don't consume political grievance and just go about their daily lives.

Tldr:
EScgHpIUUAE1e3u

Yup