The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You need some of that top shelf Cali weed to make White Castle bearable. That East Coast shit won't cut it.

Have you ever had east coast weed? We've been growing that shit in the NC mountains before CA was even a state! :colbert: (NY/NJ dirtskank weed doesn't count, btw...you really have to get your ass to the mountains.). I've had CA strains and stuff from growers in NC. NC stuff is at least as good as what I was getting in CA.

back on topic: I had Taco Bell for the first time in about 19 years yesterday. 2 regular crunchy tacos + tomatoes: pretty much as I remembered them from ~High school, only about 70% more expensive. 1 Dorito Loco taco. This thing is pure shit. Who the hell eats these?

It will be at least another 19 years, likely never, before I eat there again.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-mcdonalds-fresh-beef-0331-biz-20170330-story.html

McDonald's is switching to fresh beef patties for the Quarter Pounder next year. I don't know how I feel about it. Quarter Pounder with cheese is what I always order at McDonald's. Fresh can taste better but there's increased chance of food safety screw ups with the switch and lazy employees. If the McDonald's location isn't clean, I'm going to switch to ordering Big Mac next year.

This is a really good thing for everyone, though. McDonald's more or less has the greatest power over the food supply compared to anyone, so this means that more and more "farmers" are going to be forced to up their game when it comes to quality. Everyone wins, and you still don't have to eat at McD's.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Have you ever had east coast weed? We've been growing that shit in the NC mountains before CA was even a state! :colbert: (NY/NJ dirtskank weed doesn't count, btw...you really have to get your ass to the mountains.). I've had CA strains and stuff from growers in NC. NC stuff is at least as good as what I was getting in CA.

Yes. $240 and 2 hours later my wife and I were rock sober while all of our NYC were straight wasted.

That's your problem, you're growing that shit in mountains instead of in warehouses under 1k lights and perfect 12/12 + 18/6 growing conditions.

//edit

I see you excluded the shit NYC/NJ stuff, which is unfortunately the only stuff I have experience with on the East Coast.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
back on topic: I had Taco Bell for the first time in about 19 years yesterday. 2 regular crunchy tacos + tomatoes: pretty much as I remembered them from ~High school, only about 70% more expensive. 1 Dorito Loco taco. This thing is pure shit. Who the hell eats these?

It will be at least another 19 years, likely never, before I eat there again.
Stoned teenagers? Not sure, I tried one and wasn't enthused (but clearly not as repulsed as you).
Wish they'd just bring the beef crunch burrito onto the permanent menu instead of prick-teasing me with it once every couple years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes. $240 and 2 hours later my wife and I were rock sober while all of our NYC were straight wasted.

That's your problem, you're growing that shit in mountains instead of in warehouses under 1k lights and perfect 12/12 + 18/6 growing conditions.

//edit

I see you excluded the shit NYC/NJ stuff, which is unfortunately the only stuff I have experience with on the East Coast.

Yeah, you got to stay away from that yankee dirt. Just like their booze.

all the booze and weed comes from hillbillies and rednecks. My pals in college were primarily Hydro by that time, though. So we got it all...just not near the volume as in CA. Still, it has long been NC's largest cash crop, even when Tobaccy wasn't quite as evil as it is now.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've probably been through 20 cutting gadgets between what I have, what my buddies have, and what I've bought off Amazon/eBay/etc. Per Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Does-Chick-fil-A-use-fresh-potatoes-for-its-waffle-fries

My guess is that they have an industrial machine with a custom-made die cutter. Maybe I'll rig up a mold & have one of my welding buddies whip something up :D

We might have a contender! Not cheap at $199, but this French mandoline makes the proper cuts...only downside is that it makes skinny waffle fries, instead of the awesomely thick ones that Chick-fil-a has:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/de-buyer-revolution-dicing-mandoline/

de-buyer-revolution-dicing-mandoline-o.jpg

Lscy3Lw.png

Reactions: Ns1

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
There are many around here and their chicken fingers and sauce taste amazing. The only downside is the size of their chicken fingers has decreased tremendously over the years along with the amount of sauce (which is no longer enough for an entire meal) they include.

I was wondering about the size too. I remember when they first opened 3 fingers got me stuffed. Now I need like 5.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
How is Whataburger?

I know I tried them in Texas once or twice some years back when travelling to Texas for work and liking them. But my memory is foggy because every city I went to I tried a new fast food burger joint and they are all blending together a bit.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
How is Whataburger?

I know I tried them in Texas once or twice some years back when travelling to Texas for work and liking them. But my memory is foggy because every city I went to I tried a new fast food burger joint and they are all blending together a bit.

Not a fan, but I'll occasionally have it (once a year, if that). I like In-N-Out better. Whataburger is better than McD's and Burger King though.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
How do you form an entire taco shell out of one fried egg? If that's a photo of it, what do they do to the egg to get it to puff up like that, not to mention getting it to cover that much area?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Taco Bell to test egg breakfast taco shell:

http://www.brandeating.com/2017/04/taco-bell-to-test-egg-breakfast-taco.html

Nice low-carb option. Being tested right now, curious to see if it goes nation-wide. Also, it's still weird to me that Taco Bell is offering breakfast lol. But it makes sense, because breakfast burritos are the bomb.

With or without 88% real beef, hmmn.
http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/05/02/and-now-you-know-whats-taco-bells-seasoned-ground-beef

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
It takes me 2 minutes and 40 seconds to eat a McDouble. I don't know why I wanted to know that.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
How do you form an entire taco shell out of one fried egg? If that's a photo of it, what do they do to the egg to get it to puff up like that, not to mention getting it to cover that much area?

Well, if it's fried, then it would have something of a crust. And you can get eggs pretty puffy if you blend them, remove or cut down the yolk, etc.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Wendy's has, in my mind, the best chicken nuggets and the best spicy chicken sandwich of any of the national chains. That being said I always thought their spicy chicken nuggets were gross.