The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Chick n shack I can't quit you.

08C86B28-1BAE-4F32-AE6F-B6B41FA8CE70_zpsw31juvqa.jpg

Also on the menu:

7217E42A-FAEC-43A0-B533-9E2472612270_zps8fopapnb.jpg

The Chick'n Shack is indeed awesome. I did try a Double BBQ Shakmeister Burger and it was good, but I prefer the classic double shackburger the best.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
thanks for the feedback, I was eyefucking that shackmeister.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm at the point in my life where I am really thinking about opening up my own sandwich shop. There is nothing like a good sandwich done RIGHT.

The best part of that is that you can then come to ATOT and post in the 2,345th "what's the best sandwich place?" thread that [your] mom and pop independent sandwich place that no one else has a chance to verify is better than everywhere else.

I mean, I would do that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'd hand you the nails while holding the ladder.

no way man. If I know you, you'd pull the ladder, leaving me there dangling and to take the blame for crucifying jesus, while you run off and eat all of the shackmeisters. ...and penises.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Being on a diet I felt like torturing myself by reading about food. I came across these two articles on how to make McDonalds Fries:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ake-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html
20100526-mcdonalds-fries-18-spectrum.jpg

And how to make an In N' Out animal style double double.
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...e-an-in-n-out-double-double-animal-style.html

20100723-in-n-out-12-ingredients.jpg

20100723-in-n-out-18-finished-hand.jpg

A lot of work but with the nearest In N Out being Austin I maybe I should give it shot.

There's an In N Out as far west as in Austin? Last I checked some years ago they weren't going any farther than their primary distributor way out west.

Maybe they added another?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If you do figure it out, please share recipe! :)

I've probably been through 20 cutting gadgets between what I have, what my buddies have, and what I've bought off Amazon/eBay/etc. Per Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Does-Chick-fil-A-use-fresh-potatoes-for-its-waffle-fries

As a former employee of Chick-Fil-A, I can safely say that probably only a handful of people have the answer to this question. We got all of our fries in boxes, and inside those boxes were big, brown paper bags full to the brim with the waffle fries. We kept these fries in a freezer, and when we needed them we fried them in oil for a minute and a half give or take. We'd get deliveries of these boxes every month or so, and just kept them frozen until the fries were needed.

My guess is that they have an industrial machine with a custom-made die cutter. Maybe I'll rig up a mold & have one of my welding buddies whip something up :D

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Being on a diet I felt like torturing myself by reading about food. I came across these two articles on how to make McDonalds Fries:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ake-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html
20100526-mcdonalds-fries-18-spectrum.jpg

And how to make an In N' Out animal style double double.
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...e-an-in-n-out-double-double-animal-style.html

20100723-in-n-out-12-ingredients.jpg

20100723-in-n-out-18-finished-hand.jpg

A lot of work but with the nearest In N Out being Austin I maybe I should give it shot.

The appeal of In-N-Out is good cheap fast food burger you can get til 1:00 am. I can understand the author trying to recreate the burger for his blog/website. But why would you want to follow and make it? It's not something so good I want to try to recreate and make it at home if I don't live near In-N-Out. Honestly, I can make better burger at home without recreating In-N-Out if my goal is to make homemade burgers. In-N-Out is nowhere near the best burger I had. It's the best fast food burger I had for the price, but that's a big difference. If my goal is homemade burger, my bar is going to be higher than In-N-Out.

McDonald's fries article was good. I'm big fan of McDonald's fries and always rated their fries as the best. I knew they double fried it just like all good fries but didn't know they boiled as well. But I'm not going to make fries at home either. Making fries at home is pain in the ass and I can drive to my nearest McDonald's and get the fries anytime I want it without the mess and the time commitment. Grocery store frozen fries are decent substitute for homemade as well.

Reactions: Ns1

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The appeal of In-N-Out is good cheap fast food burger you can get til 1:00 am. I can understand the author trying to recreate the burger for his blog/website. But why would you want to follow and make it? It's not something so good I want to try to recreate and make it at home if I don't live near In-N-Out. Honestly, I can make better burger at home without recreating In-N-Out if my goal is to make homemade burgers. In-N-Out is nowhere near the best burger I had. It's the best fast food burger I had for the price, but that's a big difference. If my goal is homemade burger, my bar is going to be higher than In-N-Out.

McDonald's fries article was good. I'm big fan of McDonald's fries and always rated their fries as the best. I knew they double fried it just like all good fries but didn't know they boiled as well. But I'm not going to make fries at home either. Making fries at home is pain in the ass and I can drive to my nearest McDonald's and get the fries anytime I want it without the mess and the time commitment. Grocery store frozen fries are decent substitute for homemade as well.

what you want to make is a shake shack burger. Now that shit is some meat blend shit that is out of this world.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've probably been through 20 cutting gadgets between what I have, what my buddies have, and what I've bought off Amazon/eBay/etc. Per Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Does-Chick-fil-A-use-fresh-potatoes-for-its-waffle-fries

My guess is that they have an industrial machine with a custom-made die cutter. Maybe I'll rig up a mold & have one of my welding buddies whip something up :D

You don't need cutting gadgets. All you need is a good Japanese chef's knife. That's it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

While I won't go through all the effort to make them like they did in the article. I'll use the instructions for making carmelized onions since I like them on my burgers. Same with the mustard trick when I'm not charcoal grilling them.

As for the French fries my family likes homemade fries better than store bought. They like them enough that I have one of these:

41rT-0NbSSL._SY300_.jpg

The blades can be changed out to make regular or thin cut fries. Makes it pretty quick to make a batch of fries.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
My issue with homemade fries is dealing with the oil and double frying it. I've never had any luck single frying it. Always turns into soggy wet mess. Double frying solves the soggy mess but you have to fry it once and cool/freeze and fry it again. That takes time. I could do batches at a time and freeze it but I don't like dealing with the hot oil. It's really more hassle than it's worth.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Shake shack beats all. I've even been converted to their crinkle cut fries.

Crinkle cut fries are nothing more than precooked frozen fries you get from US Foods or Sysco. I'm not saying it's good or bad. It's just run of the mill crinkle fries you can get everywhere.

CFA waffle fries are little more unique. You can get frozen ones from US Foods and Sysco too but CFA is really the only major fast food chain that sells it. I like it. I wasn't huge fan when I was young but now I like it. It's different and I like the texture especially if it's fried well-done.