The OFFICIAL Anandtech Forums TeS V: Skyrim Thread

Page 154 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Casting is pretty terrible in this game, though, so no surprises. (Skyrim is the land of big Angry Warrior types, so shouldn't be too shocking that mages get barely a thought in this world.)

Combat in general is pretty lackluster in Skyrim.

Casting was definitely clunky, I wish they made magic a secondary cast like it was in Witcher 2, but I guess it would have gotten in the way with shouts. If the game didn't need to be compatible with console games it would have been nice to fast cast a limited amount of spells by spamming 1-4 or something. That way magic would be more integrated with melee fighting.

Bows were boring, but not much that can be done about that. Can't really do much about having a ranged attack that requires aiming and drawing.

Melee is definitely the most fun, but having a 1st person camera view limited how nice they could have made the combat. Going rambo in was fun, but there was just no fluidity in the combat.

Madia

May 2, 2006
The official patch allowing mounted combat just came out the other day, probably readying everything for dawnguard. Xbox gets Dawnguard June 26 so I'm guessing pc gets it late July. If I heard correctly it costs $20.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
The official patch allowing mounted combat just came out the other day, probably readying everything for dawnguard. Xbox gets Dawnguard June 26 so I'm guessing pc gets it late July. If I heard correctly it costs $20.

So the PC version got mounted combat? I will have to check this out tonight!

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
So the PC version got mounted combat? I will have to check this out tonight!

I mentioned the beta patch for that a couple of weeks ago. I have not played with it much, but it takes some getting used to. At least for me.

Feb 6, 2007
The patch broke half my mods and I don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out which ones. I wish there was an option to not update automatically that actually worked. Every update breaks things to add stuff that I don't want.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
The patch broke half my mods and I don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out which ones. I wish there was an option to not update automatically that actually worked. Every update breaks things to add stuff that I don't want.

What about keeping Steam in offline mode? I don't think any patches came out since I set mine in offline mode so I'm not totally sure.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What about keeping Steam in offline mode? I don't think any patches came out since I set mine in offline mode so I'm not totally sure.

Thats fine until you wanna update or run OTHER games online.
Always best to have all games not update automatically, then manually patch them as you see fit.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
I mentioned the beta patch for that a couple of weeks ago. I have not played with it much, but it takes some getting used to. At least for me.

Mounted combat controls seems very console like to me. Takes getting used to.

Feb 6, 2007
I've been playing the Assassin's Creed games, which require you to run in online mode to maintain contact with Ubisoft's server (thanks DRM!), and I play a lot of CS:S, so no go on running Steam in offline mode. And I've set Skyrim to not update automatically, but that setting apparently is just there to tease you with the possibility that the technology exists to not update your games without asking you, but it isn't actually being used.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
Thats fine until you wanna update or run OTHER games online.
Always best to have all games not update automatically, then manually patch them as you see fit.

I've been playing the Assassin's Creed games, which require you to run in online mode to maintain contact with Ubisoft's server (thanks DRM!), and I play a lot of CS:S, so no go on running Steam in offline mode. And I've set Skyrim to not update automatically, but that setting apparently is just there to tease you with the possibility that the technology exists to not update your games without asking you, but it isn't actually being used.

Doh, missed that. It's been so long since I played I forgot about everything else.:oops: I had Skyrim update even with telling it not to. Going into offline mode is what "fixed" it for me. I'm sure I'm screwed if I get the itch to play CSS or TF2 again, or even just get on to see what's going on.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Melee is definitely the most fun, but having a 1st person camera view limited how nice they could have made the combat. Going rambo in was fun, but there was just no fluidity in the combat.

yeah, I greatly enjoy mele in this game--despite how simple and repetitive it becomes. But, you know--I never tire of shield bash then decapitate. Ir simply shield bash into the ground.

but First Person perspective? WHY do that to yourself?? D:

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Guys I just put up a new interview with Matt Carofano, the Lead Artist on Skyrim, to talk about many things including; Dawnguard, the next-generation of consoles, what's after Skyrim for Bethesda Game Studios, loot, Vampire Lords, future iteration of the Creation engine, The Elder Scrolls MMO, armored Trolls, and why you cannot change your sex or race in Skyrim.

<Snip!>

This is one I was asked to pass on to you from several fans: How much loot, or rather, how much additional stuff is being added to the game?
Well there's the full set of Dragon Bone weapons. <Thinks> We give you a lot of gear on the Dawnguard side. That helps balance out the Vampire Lord&#8217;s abilities. The Dawnguard stuff has; new light and heavy armor, new weapons, you can have a new type of dog companion, [and] an armored troll to come fight with you. On the Vampire Lord side you have a whole new perk tree and we also added a whole new perk tree for Werewolves too. That's another feature we added to the game even though it's not part of the [Dawnguard] story. We wanted to make the Werewolves more interesting, more playable for higher levels, so we expanded on that. There's a lot of stuff in the game.

Did I see a new mount in the Dawnguard trailer?
Yes! So in the realm of Soul Cairn--the realm of trapped souls--you can get a miscellaneous quest to find the Skull of Arvak. He&#8217;s this lost horse who's been taken over, turned undead in this realm. So if you find his skull you can ride him all around and even back in Tamriel.

<Snip!>

The rest is over here: http://eat-games.tumblr.com

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just watched a live stream where a guy that transformed into a vampire couldn't get through a door because of his wings. Should probably fix that :)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Just watched a live stream where a guy that transformed into a vampire couldn't get through a door because of his wings. Should probably fix that :)

"I am coming for you me prey! I will Dest..." /stuck in door

"Oh dammit... I can't get through, dumb wings."

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I've read som reviews of the 360 version of Dawnguard. Must say it looks okay, but I'm hoping Bethesda comes with bigger DLC's for Skyrim, like Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

They promised big DLC content for Skyrim, but this one does not look much bigger than other DLC's for Bethesda games.

rga

Nov 9, 2011
Is there any way to keep the character centered under the reticule in this game? I don't like that the position switches based on whether or not a weapon is readied...

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
TES Morrowind was better

I havent played morrowind in forever, and last time was on xbox, and I didn't get that far... I almost want to buy it now from steam, but with summer sale coming soon, I am waiting to see if its there.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I've read som reviews of the 360 version of Dawnguard. Must say it looks okay, but I'm hoping Bethesda comes with bigger DLC's for Skyrim, like Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

They promised big DLC content for Skyrim, but this one does not look much bigger than other DLC's for Bethesda games.

Yea, Though I never played any of the DLC for oblivion, I cant wait until Dawnguard and other DLC is ready for Skyrim.

Sad though that such a good (in my opinion) 1st-person adventure/rpg game with so much story to learn of the world is going to MMO.