The OFFICIAL Anandtech Forums TeS V: Skyrim Thread

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
Was attacked by a pair of foxes today. FOXES!!!:eek:

That'll happen when they're under the control of the spriggans. I was attacked by foxes, deer, even a damn bunny. But my favorite was the dragon that got under the control of spriggans and attacked me. What the hell?

I also got a fox to attack me by accident by casting fury on it. Whoops.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
When they're under spriggan control, they kinda glow. Those didn't and there was no spriggan nearby. Plus foxes never used to be in pairs/packs. Methinks something has changed in the game again.:D

Triglet

Nov 22, 2007
Just picked Skyrim up a few weeks ago, and started out on Expert difficulty, and use the Deadly Dragons and Enhanced Gameplay mods. I'm level 40, and still get my ass kicked if I'm not careful.

Difficulty seems to be where it needs to be for how I play -- sure I one shot things, but not everything. Recommend the above if you're finding it too easy.

Feb 6, 2007
Also, you can change the difficulty on the fly. If you find it too easy, you can bump it to Expert without having to restart or even leave the game. Too hard? Bump it back down. It's a nice feature, one that I wish other games would implement.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
just beat skyrim. the only downside is that once you beat it, you can still play for like another 1000 hours :p

according to steam i put in 53 hours...but i'd wager it's much more than that.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Every time I go through Tolvald's cave and read the tragic diaries of the doomed Morrowind survivors who tried to escape the Red Mountain eruption, I wanna commit Falmer genocide. It's not the Falmer's fault after all. The humans were just a convenient food source that fell into their lap. But I still kill Falmers on sight. :mad:

I kill Thalmors on sight too but that's because they're insufferable. :twisted:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Every time I go through Tolvald's cave and read the tragic diaries of the doomed Morrowind survivors who tried to escape the Red Mountain eruption, I wanna commit Falmer genocide. It's not the Falmer's fault after all. The humans were just a convenient food source that fell into their lap. But I still kill Falmers on sight. :mad:

I kill Thalmors on sight too but that's because they're insufferable. :twisted:

I get excited when I see a Thalmor patrol. Murder. Death. Kill. :awe:

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I'm kinda late to this game, but it's been alot of fun and hilarious. So, I bought a house at Riften, and you get Iona as the housecarl. One day, I killed some chickens in front of my house to capture their souls, and roll into the house. She starts attacking me. So, I run out of the house.. run back in and she is still attacking me. So, I reloaded a previous save, and went back to the house. She didn't attack me, but if you kill the chickens, she gets pissed.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Also, does anybody else cheese by re-visiting Mehrune's Dagon every few days for free Daedra hearts?

Feb 6, 2007
Also, does anybody else cheese by re-visiting Mehrune's Dagon every few days for free Daedra hearts?
You can do that at Jorrvsakr too. I've never had an issue with that though since I buy them whenever I see them for sale and I end up with a lot more than I need.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
just beat skyrim. the only downside is that once you beat it, you can still play for like another 1000 hours :p

according to steam i put in 53 hours...but i'd wager it's much more than that.

Yup, just like all the other Elder Scrolls.
In fact sometimes its fun to rush the main quest and then putz around for weeks in the free-form world at your leisure.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I was at Best Buy last night looking for Skyrim on PC, but walked out with the PS3 version because that's the last copy of Skyrim in the entire store... It's cool though, I think I'll have more fun playing this game on the big screen and recliner than on the PC sitting on the crappy office chair.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm kinda late to this game, but it's been alot of fun and hilarious. So, I bought a house at Riften, and you get Iona as the housecarl. One day, I killed some chickens in front of my house to capture their souls, and roll into the house. She starts attacking me. So, I run out of the house.. run back in and she is still attacking me. So, I reloaded a previous save, and went back to the house. She didn't attack me, but if you kill the chickens, she gets pissed.

Yeah you can't kill domestic livestock without angering the locals. It's all owned by someone. Although I never tried it with Iona's chickens :).

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
After 674 hours, I've started getting the occasional freeze the last couple of days. Wondering if the game has updated again. Set my sound to DVD quality to see if that helps. When the freeze occurs, I have to log-off, can't kill the process through task manager. The image sticks but the sound continues. Annoying. Game file integrity checks OK.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I was at Best Buy last night looking for Skyrim on PC, but walked out with the PS3 version because that's the last copy of Skyrim in the entire store... It's cool though, I think I'll have more fun playing this game on the big screen and recliner than on the PC sitting on the crappy office chair.
Ummm, if you got the PC version you'd have to use it on Steam. So you could have just, you know, bought it on Steam.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

The mods are what make the game. Does the PS3 have mods? :eek:

Feb 6, 2007
After 674 hours, I've started getting the occasional freeze the last couple of days. Wondering if the game has updated again. Set my sound to DVD quality to see if that helps. When the freeze occurs, I have to log-off, can't kill the process through task manager. The image sticks but the sound continues. Annoying. Game file integrity checks OK.
Do you run any mods? You might try completely deleting everything (copy your saved games folder to a backup location so you don't lose progress) and reinstall from scratch. If you're still having issues then with no mods running, it could be a driver issue, so make sure you're up to date on GFX and sound drivers. If vanilla works but mods cause the stuttering, you can isolate it by only enabling one mod at a time (this can be nightmarishly time consuming if you run lots of mods though).

I haven't heard about a patch coming down in a few months, so I don't think it would be that.

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Only one mod that gives merchants 10,000 gold. Been using the same original driver that came with my 4870 3 years ago without problem. Might be save-game bloat related (although I only use two saves apart from the automatic saves).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Do they have any house mods with inventory sorters? I swear I spend half my game managing loot in my house.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I already have SkyUI. That isnt exactly what I meant. I was thinking of a button or control in your house that automatically distributes items into containers based on what they are.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas have quite a few house mods with inventory sorters, usually in the form of lockers for each type of weapon, armor, ammo, and usable.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I was wondering if there were any weapon rebalancing mods? I have 116 hours invested in Skyrim, all with one character, and I've had the same Ebony Mace for probably the last 75+ hours and the same shield for even longer, 85+ hours... not cool. The weapon/armor progression was fine for the first several levels, but I've been playing a lot of TERA lately I've really enjoyed how I constantly pick up new weapons and armor in that game which are slightly more powerful that what I had before...etc.

Let's face it loot is a big part of RPG's and I feel like Skyrim does this all wrong. The loot progression flattens out much too quickly. Maybe that's because I power leveled Smithing early and then stopped at Ebony. But perhaps a more traditional MMO green/blue/yellow/orange drop system could liven Skyrim up a little. Anyone know of a mod like that or something along the lines of making weapon/armor progression more interesting?

Seriously, this stupid mace and shield... I have screenshots dating back to November 20th with these damn things. :)

Feb 6, 2007
I already have SkyUI. That isnt exactly what I meant. I was thinking of a button or control in your house that automatically distributes items into containers based on what they are.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas have quite a few house mods with inventory sorters, usually in the form of lockers for each type of weapon, armor, ammo, and usable.

I use this one for Proudspire Manor, but it only works on Proudspire Manor (the house in Solitude). It has item sorters, an alchemy table, enchanting table and complete smithing area, so it's pretty badass. But you have to shell out some serious coin for Proudspire Manor and all the house upgrades, so it won't help you out early on. If you're already well into the game, it's perfect.