The OFFICIAL Anandtech Forums TeS V: Skyrim Thread

Page 153 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats fine, my current game is practically complete. I got all the houses and such so a simple addition to the Solitude home is all I need.

Feb 6, 2007
I was wondering if there were any weapon rebalancing mods? I have 116 hours invested in Skyrim, all with one character, and I've had the same Ebony Mace for probably the last 75+ hours and the same shield for even longer, 85+ hours... not cool. The weapon/armor progression was fine for the first several levels, but I've been playing a lot of TERA lately I've really enjoyed how I constantly pick up new weapons and armor in that game which are slightly more powerful that what I had before...etc.

Let's face it loot is a big part of RPG's and I feel like Skyrim does this all wrong. The loot progression flattens out much too quickly. Maybe that's because I power leveled Smithing early and then stopped at Ebony. But perhaps a more traditional MMO green/blue/yellow/orange drop system could liven Skyrim up a little. Anyone know of a mod like that or something along the lines of making weapon/armor progression more interesting?

Seriously, this stupid mace and shield... I have screenshots dating back to November 20th with these damn things. :)

One of the things I've enjoyed about Skyrim's leveling is that you get overpowered in one discipline pretty early, which gives you an opportunity to branch out into new things. If you're tired of using the mace/shield, try using a two-handed weapon, or start using destruction spells, or illusion/restoration (some tricky Jedi shit to get your enemies to kill each other). There's a lot of different ways to tackle combat, so to tie yourself to a single weapon and then claim there's no variety seems silly.

I'd recommend using the level uncapper mod so that you can gain perk points past level 81 and distribute them across whatever discipline you happen to be using at the time. Granted, it makes your character into an unkillable murder machine before too long, but it also allows you to specialize in something, and then completely change your style, all with the same character.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
Just started playing Skyrim and have a question I haven't been able to get an answer to. I didn't have enough gold to buy a house in Whiterun but I do now. I went back and bought it from Riften. But since I saved my current game, I still have all of my armor, jewels, gold. So is there a way to buy the house once I have moved on to other quests? Or is there another save point? Or do I have to start over? I am currently in the Riften sewer a Thane and Good Citizen medal. So how does one fast travel, buy a house and move on from the last (current) save. Or is there any such option?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just started playing Skyrim and have a question I haven't been able to get an answer to. I didn't have enough gold to buy a house in Whiterun but I do now. I went back and bought it from Riften. But since I saved my current game, I still have all of my armor, jewels, gold. So is there a way to buy the house once I have moved on to other quests? Or is there another save point? Or do I have to start over? I am currently in the Riften sewer a Thane and Good Citizen medal. So how does one fast travel, buy a house and move on from the last (current) save. Or is there any such option?

not sure what your question is..

You can buy all the houses and be thane in all towns that allow it. Buying a house does not disallow you from buying other houses.

the only way to fast travel directly to your house, instead of the town, is through community mods...or make your own mod.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The only house with purchasing issues is Markath, cuz the thane sells it to you in the middle of another quest and its possible to miss your chance permanently.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
not sure what your question is..

You can buy all the houses and be thane in all towns that allow it. Buying a house does not disallow you from buying other houses.

the only way to fast travel directly to your house, instead of the town, is through community mods...or make your own mod.

Okay, let me try to be clearer. I'm not trying to fast travel to my house. in Whiterun, it's only the second building, so it's close. When I was in Whiterun, I did not have enough gold to buy the house. I continued on and finally in Riftin, I finally had enough to fast travel back to Whiterun and buy the house. I unloaded a lot of armor, jewels, etc. So I fast travel back to Riftin and I still have all of my gear & gold with me. :( I saved the game at the Riftin sewer entrance. So I guess I blew it by not having enough gold at the time to buy it while doing all the quests in Whiterun. My current saved game in Riftin doesn't realize I went back and bought the house. I know I can buy houses in all the capitals but the house in Riftin for example is much more expensive. So my question is, is there a workaround? I don't want to start over. I am finally a level 12 female Nord. I was under the impression I could go back and buy a house later. One more thing, after buying the house, it auto saves. That's fine, but I have since moved much farther along in my current saved game. So do I just have to be sure to now buy the house in Riftin?

EDIT: I figured it out. I hired a carriage to take me to Whiterun. Bought the house and took the carriage back to Riftin.

Last edited:

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Okay, let me try to be clearer. I'm not trying to fast travel to my house. in Whiterun, it's only the second building, so it's close. When I was in Whiterun, I did not have enough gold to buy the house. I continued on and finally in Riftin, I finally had enough to fast travel back to Whiterun and buy the house. I unloaded a lot of armor, jewels, etc. So I fast travel back to Riftin and I still have all of my gear & gold with me. :( I saved the game at the Riftin sewer entrance. So I guess I blew it by not having enough gold at the time to buy it while doing all the quests in Whiterun. My current saved game in Riftin doesn't realize I went back and bought the house. I know I can buy houses in all the capitals but the house in Riftin for example is much more expensive. So my question is, is there a workaround? I don't want to start over. I am finally a level 12 female Nord. I was under the impression I could go back and buy a house later. One more thing, after buying the house, it auto saves. That's fine, but I have since moved much farther along in my current saved game. So do I just have to be sure to now buy the house in Riftin?

EDIT: I figured it out. I hired a carriage to take me to Whiterun. Bought the house and took the carriage back to Riftin.

You can try renting them out:sneaky:

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004
Just finished the main quest line. I am at level 10 and I have played just under 40 hours. Not that I think reaching level 10 or finishing the game is some great accomplishment. If I had known that killing Alduin would reduce the number of Dragon Attacks, I would have waited to kill him. There were probably hints about the reduced attacks along the way but I must have missed them.

On to my question and sorry if this has been discussed ad naseum but what quest lines left which would be fun? I have started the Theives Guild quests. My character is a Mage.

Feb 6, 2007
Just finished the main quest line. I am at level 10 and I have played just under 40 hours. Not that I think reaching level 10 or finishing the game is some great accomplishment. If I had known that killing Alduin would reduce the number of Dragon Attacks, I would have waited to kill him. There were probably hints about the reduced attacks along the way but I must have missed them.

On to my question and sorry if this has been discussed ad naseum but what quest lines left which would be fun? I have started the Theives Guild quests. My character is a Mage.

The Dark Brotherhood quests seem to be regarded as the best in the game, so definitely check those out. The Companion quest line is also solid. The Thieve's Guild is fun but if you haven't beefed up your sneak stats, you're going to need custom gear to really do them. If you're a mage, you definitely should do the College of Winterhold quests if you haven't already (and if you're only level 10 having beaten the game, I'm assuming you just blazed through the main story and did nothing else). I'm partial to the Daedric quests myself, since you get some badass unique items for completing them, but if you're playing as a paragon of virtue they're annoying since they all basically come down to you betraying someone or being a dick in some way.

I'd also recommend power-leveling smithing, enchanting and alchemy so you can create your own gear and potions rather than having to buy or find everything. It really makes a huge difference.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The Dark Brotherhood quests seem to be regarded as the best in the game, so definitely check those out. The Companion quest line is also solid. The Thieve's Guild is fun but if you haven't beefed up your sneak stats, you're going to need custom gear to really do them. If you're a mage, you definitely should do the College of Winterhold quests if you haven't already (and if you're only level 10 having beaten the game, I'm assuming you just blazed through the main story and did nothing else). I'm partial to the Daedric quests myself, since you get some badass unique items for completing them, but if you're playing as a paragon of virtue they're annoying since they all basically come down to you betraying someone or being a dick in some way.

I'd also recommend power-leveling smithing, enchanting and alchemy so you can create your own gear and potions rather than having to buy or find everything. It really makes a huge difference.

Holy shit I think I had more fun playing Dark Brotherhood 'side quest' than the main one. It actually had more substance and engaging plot.
Right from the start, you have to kill a stranger to get recruited, and you really felt like a part of their crew & felt cozy at their base. It was creepy as hell having to hide in the coffin with the corpse. So so well done.

I wondered if other side quests are as good. I stopped doing Companion one. Never bothered with the Thieves Guild (I hate their shitty mazey base that I always get lost in)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Holy shit I think I had more fun playing Dark Brotherhood 'side quest' than the main one. It actually had more substance and engaging plot.
Right from the start, you have to kill a stranger to get recruited, and you really felt like a part of their crew & felt cozy at their base. It was creepy as hell having to hide in the coffin with the corpse. So so well done.

I wondered if other side quests are as good. I stopped doing Companion one. Never bothered with the Thieves Guild (I hate their shitty mazey base that I always get lost in)

once you unlock the secret entrance--pretty much when you get inducted--you don't have ot run through the sewers to get to the thieves guild.

I think it's the best questline after DB.

and holy shit--How did that guy beat the game at level 10? I call seins, as I doubt one could get a 3rd of the way through without at least leveling some of those skills.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
once you unlock the secret entrance--pretty much when you get inducted--you don't have ot run through the sewers to get to the thieves guild.

and holy shit--How did that guy beat the game at level 10? I call seins, as I doubt one could get a 3rd of the way through without at least leveling some of those skills.

The secret thieves guild entrance can be fast traveled to and it's nice to have the shrine that removes all diseases nearby.

I don't know how that person did the whole game at level 10. I am a level 15 and just finished the Goldenglow side quest. I am wrapping up all of my open unfinished side quests I have open before going back to Winterhold. Playing a female Nord. Once done there, I'll check out the DB.

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004

Guys... I am hoping that maybe there is more to the main quest line but I do not think so. I killed Alduin two times. Once on the mountain top and the other time in the nether world (or whatever the world is with all the mist that you walk through to get to the fight). The name of the quest was Dragonslayer. I also finished the College of Winterhold Quests which is what made me an Arch Mage... I think. If this is not the main quest line, great... what else do I do?

After I killed Alduin, I was transferred back to the mountain top and I could have killed Parthanax but I chose not to kill him.

....and yes, I just did the main quest line. I did start off the game doing some other quests but once I got onto the main quest line, I pretty much just ran with the main quest line.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Guys... I am hoping that maybe there is more to the main quest line but I do not think so. I killed Alduin two times. Once on the mountain top and the other time in the nether world (or whatever the world is with all the mist that you walk through to get to the fight). The name of the quest was Dragonslayer. I also finished the College of Winterhold Quests which is what made me an Arch Mage... I think. If this is not the main quest line, great... what else do I do?

After I killed Alduin, I was transferred back to the mountain top and I could have killed Parthanax but I chose not to kill him.

....and yes, I just did the main quest line. I did start off the game doing some other quests but once I got onto the main quest line, I pretty much just ran with the main quest line.

weird. Killing Alduin is the one and only main quest line. Mage's College, Civil War, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves, Companions are the secondary quest lines in the game, more or less unrelated to the whole dragon thing.

Then there are all the various microquests that follow a series of storylines (the various Daedric relic quests, which are all rather awesome)

...it's just really odd that you could make it to certain late areas in the game, having so few levels. Much less be able to kill those dragons. They are quite difficult at low levels, but become mosquitoes by level 24 or so.

Did you use some crazy mods or something?

I finished the main quest ~level 45? or later. ....after about 200 hours of play time. lol. This is one of those games that really doesn't want you to progress in an absolute linear trajectory. There is simply too much to discover and experience off the beaten path.

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004
Did you use some crazy mods or something?

Nope. No mods. I did knock the difficulty down from whatever the default is by one level though so I am sure that probably had something to do with it. I will try some of the secondary quests. I already started the Thieve's Guild but I may drop that and go after one of the other ones.

I think the game is solid but I have to admit it is pretty disappointing that it can be finished with a character that is only level 10. They should have made the secondary quests pre-requisites to the main story line but that is just my opinion. Perhaps they will come out with an expansion pack which would also be good.

Did I mention that I did not even use two perk points? :)

The reason is that I could not find a decent mage build to use. I put all my points in destruction and I was just not sure where to place the other two. I also did not partake in any crafting as I thought I would be playing for another 20 levels or so. My thought was to grab as much gold as I could (about $8k) and then at level 15 or so to jump into crafting.

Oh well. Secondary quests here I come!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
I did knock the difficulty down from whatever the default is by one level though so I am sure that probably had something to do with it.

I think the game is solid but I have to admit it is pretty disappointing that it can be finished with a character that is only level 10.
The game can't be finished by a Level 10 character at the default difficulty setting. I watched my buddy play and he bumped it down to Easy; the enemies did absolutely no damage whatsoever. You could tank through everything in even the most basic armor. It was silly. Most people here have mentioned that the game is ludicrously easy by the time you hit level 25, so to make it even easier and then complain that it's too easy... Well, that's a problem that's pretty easily corrected, isn't it?

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004
Most people here have mentioned that the game is ludicrously easy by the time you hit level 25, so to make it even easier and then complain that it's too easy.

Not sure I was complaining. I did say that the game is very good. Perhaps knocking the difficulty down was not the best move but I have not really read that much about it to know that the game gets progressively easier until I read this thread. My point is that at any setting, the mechanics of the game should be set up so that you have to do more questing before you can finish the main quest.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The reason is that I could not find a decent mage build to use. I put all my points in destruction and I was just not sure where to place the other two. I also did not partake in any crafting as I thought I would be playing for another 20 levels or so. My thought was to grab as much gold as I could (about $8k) and then at level 15 or so to jump into crafting.

Oh well. Secondary quests here I come!

Casting is pretty terrible in this game, though, so no surprises. (Skyrim is the land of big Angry Warrior types, so shouldn't be too shocking that mages get barely a thought in this world.)

That being said, one can get preposterously OP as a mage, with max-crafted gear (which will allow unlimited casting as it will take 0 mana in destruction, or whatever). I like casting....but mele is so much more fun--and satisfying--in this game.

Still, being able to do this at level 10 with a caster remains odd to me--considering how squishy they are, the absolute weakness of those spells at that level, which you can probably cast only once every 5 seconds with that shitty gear. :D

Madia

May 2, 2006
Hmm, is it some sort of zombie cult vs. a new good faction?

I'm not sure what the supernatural entities are (it looks like you transform into a creature with wings and suck blood like a vampire) but I'm guessing you can either choose to side with them or those who hunt them (the dawnguard).

I haven't played Skyrim for months but a new DLC plus all the upgrades they patched in will make me fire it up again once Dawnguard comes out.

MoInSTL

Jan 2, 2012
I really like the beta patch that allows fighting from your horse! Anyone else try it yet?

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
Any crossbows in there? Must admit that crossbows piqued my interest when I heard the rumor.