The Law and building the "wall"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
As many a political commentator likes to say, voting for Trump was seen as a way of rejecting establishment politics. I say he'd go much further at actually living up to that image if he'd actually follow through on his campaign promises. Otherwise he's just another phony like all the establishment politicians he supposedly derides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So your rejecting the establishment but choosing something equally terrible? What's the sense in that?

I mean, if both choices are horrible, why must you vote? It's really confusing (or not, since voting is considered to be something special and magical).

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The wall is exactly like the war on drugs. Both end with a resounding LOL and a flushing sound.
Anything that the government does is for its empowerment and benefit. All policies are designed that way.

Only a true believer would think that this supposed wall, if it is ever built, is for the benefit of the average person.

Trump and other elites didn't come into such power and money by thinking about the average person.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
War on drugs? No, I'm referencing CDC numbers for 2015 showing that Opioid deaths exceeded firearm deaths in 2015. I'm referencing the effect that Heroin addiction has had in Vermont. I'm referencing DEA numbers from 2013 showing that drug-related deaths far exceeded firearm-related deaths. I could go on but it would be a waste of my time, wouldn't it? A waste of my time because you like things just the way they are. You like it when illegals that have been deported multiple times return to sanctuary cities and then murder a citizen or citizens of the country. You turn a blind eye to the myriad of problems an open border causes for out nation and its citizens. The cost, the heartbreak, the unsustainable burden on our legal system and our prisons. The effect drug addiction has on families and children.

But you know what? What you want no longer matters. Your side lost and the change train is rolling down the tracks and picking up speed.

oh so you are worried about the pharmaceutical companies? The reason why we have such issues with opioids. but go ahead with your feel good Im triggered diatribe.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yes, yes, build the wall. A pourous half ass monument to absurdity in order placate those bigoted idiots and others who refuse to acknowledge the fact that going after the American criminal big business folks who are hiring the illegals is soooo much cheaper and sooo much more manageable and sooo much more realistic and doable.

But build the wall we must in order to divert attention away from the former, and also to satisfy the appetites of those who just love being thrown cheap red faux meat by those con men politicians of theirs masquerading themselves as bastions and conservators of their cherished Reganomimaniacal ideology.

Trump took this self sustaining circle of insanity to a whole new level where he can now tell his supporters the biggest most blatant lies he could ever imagine, watch his supporters get stirred into a feeding frenzy about it and then either deny what he said, walk it back or completely ignore the call outs and start telling more lies to distract away from the "old ones". But to his followers, "meh, it's all good because we won and Trump promised us things that nobody else did."

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Sort of like LBJ's war on poverty? What's the figures regarding cost vs effectiveness on that?

I really have to laugh at those on the left that use the fiscal argument when something they don't like is proposed. The same people that judge themselves based on intentions instead of actual results will apply totally unreasonable criteria to anything they don't like.

Funds have already been allocated. The money is there at least in theory. Building it is easy, humans have been building walls forever. It absolutely will not be 100% effective. Little if anything is. The wall along with enforcement of existing laws,, human and high-tech monitoring will result in enormous reductions in both illegal immigration and the movement of drugs into the nation. (I can't help but think that the drug aspect is the one most upsetting to many.)

The left wants everything. They want it and they want it now. Free healthcare, high speed rail, free education, magic sources of clean energy, the list goes on and on and on. And they want it for all the people of the world. If you can sneak in here, you should be entitled to it too. What, you're seeking asylum? Well, here's your subsidized this, this, and this and your subsidized that. What they can't wrap their heads around is that we don't have the money to do the things they want because they can't prioritize. They want it all.

The times they are a-changin'. One constant in life is change.

The white power crowd just want all the entitlements and more for themselves. Do you even deny this?

Jul 9, 2009
The white power crowd just want all the entitlements and more for themselves. Do you even deny this?
Is "the white power crowd" everyone that dares to disagree with you ? Do you have a shade test that you check against skin color to see if they can be included?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
American companies don't want to employ low value add and high cost Trump supporters. The wall won't change that. It's simple math. Trump wants foreign workers for his businesses. His labor secretary wants foreign workers for his.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is "the white power crowd" everyone that dares to disagree with you ? Do you have a shade test that you check against skin color to see if they can be included?

Just stand up & be counted- say it loud & say it proud- "I'm with them!"

Jul 9, 2009
Nothing has changed my opinion that President Trump will begin building the "wall" on our southern border soon after taking office and the net results of it will be of a positive benefit to the citizens of the United States.

Nov 25, 2013
Nothing has changed my opinion that President Trump will begin building the "wall" on our southern border soon after taking office and the net results of it will be of a positive benefit to the citizens of the United States.

The above reads like a press release from the Department of Truthiness.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

as opposed to a negative benefit?
though i guess that's what this is. he'll use taxpayer money to buy up all the concrete and steel along the border states ( maybe half from china ) and a few years of labor. whatever happened to making mexico pay for it?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
The wall is exactly like the war on drugs. Both end with a resounding LOL and a flushing sound.

The war on drugs never ended. Millions of Americans have criminal records that impair their ability to earn a decent living merely because they were caught ingesting a plant which is legal in a dozen or so states. Thousands of Americans are accosted daily by revenue collectors on the basis that they "smell marijuana". Thousands more are arrested.

I don't know where the idea that the drug war has ended comes from. It's hasn't ended, they've just stopped bragging about their seizures of so many pounds mexican brick weed and weighing uprooted plants in their entirety and showing them on the news because they don't impress anybody anymore. People just ask "why are you wasting millions of dollars dressed up like some JTAC force with helicopters just to catch some mexican farmers and their plants?"... which frustrates them, so now they save their press conferences for releasing the criminal records and blood tests of whatever black man they shot in the back that day.