The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I watched it last night. I didn't find it nearly as nuanced and brilliant as his early stand-up. You can be non-PC and incredibly funny, but nothing is funny just because it's non-pc, unless you're trying to appeal to morons or bigots. His new shit just isn't funny. It's not cohesive, and seemed to just devolve into aimless ranting at certain points.

Nov 8, 2012
I watched it last night. I didn't find it nearly as nuanced and brilliant as his early stand-up. You can be non-PC and incredibly funny, but nothing is funny just because it's non-pc, unless you're trying to appeal to morons or bigots. His new shit just isn't funny. It's not cohesive, and seemed to just devolve into aimless ranting at certain points.

We can tell what side of the coin you fall on snowflake sugar-tits.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
We can tell what side of the coin you fall on snowflake sugar-tits.

What coin? Whether Dave Chappelle is as funny as he was in '00? Yea, I guess my position on that is pretty clear.

For anyone looking for a great new comic check out James Davis. He's as good as Chapelle was at his peak.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Meh, lets just say... it hasn't worked out so well for R. Kelley on the whole "denial works best" idea....

If he fessed up and apologized he might not have so many eyes looking at him to charge him in court.

R. Kelly? You're invoking R.-fucking-Kelly? WTH is wrong with you? The deny-deny-deny. "it's all a set-up..." defense worked for R. Kelly for about a decade. He stuck to his story, denied everything and kept his career and many of his fans because the truly stupid believed him. R. Kelly's problem is that not a month goes by without new allegations from new victims and stories of settlements with old victims coming out. He's been charged with something like 50 new crimes in 2019 alone. Of course it's not working anymore. But it did work and it would have kept working if he managed to stop after molesting only a few minors and sex-trafficking only a few women. He took a perfectly valid, effective defense and threw it out the window because he can't stop being a scumbag. If Smollett can manage not to get caught falsifying any new attacks in the next few years he'll ride it out. That's how it works.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
R. Kelly? You're invoking R.-fucking-Kelly? WTH is wrong with you? The deny-deny-deny. "it's all a set-up..." defense worked for R. Kelly for about a decade. He stuck to his story, denied everything and kept his career and many of his fans because the truly stupid believed him. R. Kelly's problem is that not a month goes by without new allegations from new victims and stories of settlements with old victims coming out. He's been charged with something like 50 new crimes in 2019 alone. Of course it's not working anymore. But it did work and it would have kept working if he managed to stop after molesting only a few minors and sex-trafficking only a few women. He took a perfectly valid, effective defense and threw it out the window because he can't stop being a scumbag. If Smollett can manage not to get caught falsifying any new attacks in the next few years he'll ride it out. That's how it works.
Are you still implying that a significant portion of the public currently still believe Smollett's story?

Mar 11, 2004

Yeah, hell I thought it was a big step down from the previous Netflix special. I tried watching it but couldn't make it through, after about the 5th time that he ran off fake laughing at his own joke it just got boring. He wasn't really saying anything jaw dropping to warrant that if he was going for shock factor, and his points often just boiled down to him wanting to say something that came off more like him trying to seem stupid than an actual joke. Which I figured he might have been working towards some elaborate long return punchline like his Cosby joke in the previous Netflix special, but I kinda doubted it since it wasn't terribly coherent so I decided not to stick with it to find out. Seemed like most of it was him playing to the audience trying to link to Chappelle Show stuff, and its like, just make your show like you apparently wanted to now instead of harping about it, he'd get basically complete freedom of what to do with modern platforms (including he'd be able to just sell it himself so he wouldn't have anyone to answer to). It was weird though because it reminded me of his act from the Nutty Professor, like it was something I expected more from a comic that hadn't really established themselves, and yet it seemed like everything was tied somehow to his Chappelle Show stuff, so it felt like it was highlighting him regressing as a comic.

There was also some really weird part in the trailer (you know the "live tile" video that Netflix autoplays when you have something highlighted or pushes as a banner?). I thought it was going to be part of a bit but it wasn't. It was when he was walking in the desert, it looks pretty normal at first, he's definitely been lifting weights, but then the camera pans and it looks like he's wearing a dress because of the long shirt or something like he has tiny legs compared to his upper body. It looked bizarre, but is only a moment as then the camera pans back more and he looks more normal.

Which I think that's really what the issue for me was. He was acting like he was trying to be "cool" and more serious, like he was better than the clown that he apparently thought Comedy Central (and frankly many of his fans wanted) was turning him into, but then he was doing shock comedy shit that you'd expect out of some younger comic (and much worse at it than his younger self) and him constantly running around fake laughing highlighted the disparity between how he seemed to be trying to present himself and how he was actually acting.

Which, there's plenty of comics that I enjoy plenty of their material but I don't like everything they do. I stopped watching the Hannibal Buress I tried watching after that one. It was just lacking to me too, like, really, that's the routines you go with for your specials? I get that they're not the big arena filling stuff like HBO and Comedy Central specials used to be, but you'd think they'd have prepared something better.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
What coin? Whether Dave Chappelle is as funny as he was in '00? Yea, I guess my position on that is pretty clear.

For anyone looking for a great new comic check out James Davis. He's as good as Chapelle was at his peak.
The Netflix show was as good if not better than anything Chapelle did at his peak. As always, he went after contemporary topics with nuance and style. His delivery and setup as always...hilarious. It seems he also offended some people because he went after some progressive sacred cows, which was the entire point of how he handled the whole “cancel it” social media mob, much as Bill Maher has done lately.

Reactions: purbeast0

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Netflix show was as good if not better than anything Chapelle did at his peak. As always, he went after contemporary topics with nuance and style. His delivery and setup as always...hilarious. It seems he also offended some people because he went after some progressive sacred cows, which was the entire point of how he handled the whole “cancel it” social media mob, much as Bill Maher has done lately.

I lean more towards this analysis than the other. There were some serious throat punches in this one, though...maybe a bit too on the nose, but to be fair, generationaly, this is what these kind of comedians are known for. Pryor is remembered for turning harsh truths into humor, for saying things that no one else would. Red Foxx. Carlin. Lenny Bruce. Of their time, they were honestly shocking and offending the hell out of people, not so much their audiences though. The only issue I have is that there was a bit of kicking down on victims in these jokes in order to make the point that isn't about the victims.

This stuff is very difficult to pull off.

So, I think Chapelle is clearly in that sphere for our time, but those guys were never punching down to make their points. That's where targeting here is an issue. (specifically the rape victims--and yes, I can fucking laugh at anything, and I did. Doesn't mean I can't honestly recognize that this behavior is, in fact, what perpetuates the problem. Deny it all you want, doesn't make it untrue.)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Poor guy. When will he realize he'll ultimately have to pay $130k + all his own lawyers? If it goes to trial, a lot of stuff will be made public that he just can't allow since he dug his hole so deep. On top of that, it's like 100% chance he will lose.

Just get it over with already, Jussie. It will cost less and you'll be less prominently shamed.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I wish Juicy would just pay his fine and go away. The more press he gets the more some will believe he really is the victim he claims to be, and that there has been a racist cover up. And the more likely it is that true victims of racism will be called liars.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Poor guy. When will he realize he'll ultimately have to pay $130k + all his own lawyers? If it goes to trial, a lot of stuff will be made public that he just can't allow since he dug his hole so deep. On top of that, it's like 100% chance he will lose.

Just get it over with already, Jussie. It will cost less and you'll be less prominently shamed.

His lawyers made some pretty ridiculous arguments. He shouldn't be responsible because he couldn't have predicted they were going to thoroughly investigate the claim of criminal activity that he made to the police. What?

There should be more penalties available and enforced for obviously bankrupt arguments made in court.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaskalas

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The city can get treble (triple) actual costs.

If it prevails, the city could collect up to three times the amount of damages the city sustains as a result of the violation – in Smollett’s case, that would be $390,000.

Which is still just a fraction of what it cost him to be fired from Empire.

Why doesn't he just pay the damn money, then go away and crawl back under the rock from whence he came?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Not sure what reputation he is trying to save. Investigations showed that he was lying, corroborated by videos/his alleged attackers/receipt in the store. And the penalty for lying to law enforcement officer/filing a false police report which is a federal crime can potentially result in serious jail time , last time I checked. Hopefully justice will be served.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Not sure what reputation he is trying to save. Investigations showed that he was lying, corroborated by videos/his alleged attackers/receipt in the store. And the penalty for lying to law enforcement officer/filing a false police report which is a federal crime can potentially result in serious jail time , last time I checked. Hopefully justice will be served.
Those charges got tossed promoting this new lawsuit as an attempt to recover the money. I don't think he is at risk of jail time if he loses this lawsuit unless he doesn't pay.

Nov 8, 2012
State Attorney Kim Foxx that dropped charges on Smugglette just lawyered up. Shit's about to get real yo.

It's time for an anal reaming on this dumb bitch.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
State Attorney Kim Foxx that dropped charges on Smugglette just lawyered up. Shit's about to get real yo.

It's time for an anal reaming on this dumb bitch.

I wish conservatives were as concerned with the prosecution of police officers who fake crimes and the DAs that protect them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
QUICK!

DIVERT! DIVERT!

WHAT-ABOUT! WHAT-ABOUT!

Take your shills elsewhere.

It's directly on topic, you just don't want to address it. It is vastly more frequent and more consequential when law enforcement fabricates crimes against citizens and DAs routinely gloss over it yet I see no outrage threads about it and certainly people not keeping up with the intimate details.

I wonder why that is. Why do you think?