The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Her ass should have been in jail too. And for the record I don't care what color they are.

That seems to be your job.
I'm sure an easy search of history can find your objection to Ashley Todd. I'll let someone else find that elusive unicorn.

Know what I care about? Equal treatment under the law. I understand why you don't.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Jussie got 150 days in jail over a false accusation initially accusing 2 white guys of assault. White girl makes a false accusation of a black teen committing a crime and assault him. How much jail did she get?

Wait for it...

ZERO days in jail

Miya Ponsetto, who falsely accused Black teen of stealing cellphone, receives no jail time following plea deal (msn.com)

Fortunately, Keyon Harrold Jr. had a prominent jazz trumpeter father Keyon Harrold Sr who could make sure her white ass went to trial.

Equal treatment under the law? Who are we kidding?

Reactions: skyking

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Jussie got 150 days in jail over a false accusation initially accusing 2 white guys of assault. White girl makes a false accusation of a black teen committing a crime and assault him. How much jail did she get?

Wait for it...

ZERO days in jail

Miya Ponsetto, who falsely accused Black teen of stealing cellphone, receives no jail time following plea deal (msn.com)

Fortunately, Keyon Harrold Jr. had a prominent jazz trumpeter father Keyon Harrold Sr who could make sure her white ass went to trial.

Equal treatment under the law? Who are we kidding?

I mean sure but....these really aren't that comparable tbh. Smollet made sure that his thing went viral, and essentially took most of Chicago PD hostage while they focused all attention on solving this horrible crime that was perpetuated against his fragile self.

His punishment was more about the monetary cost in time and distraction (other serious crimes supposedly being committed, going un-investigated), while the city was devoted to smoking out his hallucinations.

And also the irreparable damage to any kind of social and civil rights movement, both for blacks and LBGTQ, that his nonsense did to those communities.

I mean, the guy just went out and gave a lifelong rallying cry to the mouth-breathing sister-fucking pieces of shit that vote Orange and only ever claim that every minority community is somehow less oppressed than their pure white brethren. His punishment was too light, imo.

You're not wrong in some way here, but the cause of justice between these two cases isn't the same.

Reactions: hal2kilo and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I mean sure but....these really aren't that comparable tbh. Smollet made sure that his thing went viral, and essentially took most of Chicago PD hostage while they focused all attention on solving this horrible crime that was perpetuated against his fragile self.

His punishment was more about the monetary cost in time and distraction (other serious crimes supposedly being committed, going un-investigated), while the city was devoted to smoking out his hallucinations.

And also the irreparable damage to any kind of social and civil rights movement, both for blacks and LBGTQ, that his nonsense did to those communities.

I mean, the guy just went out and gave a lifelong rallying cry to the mouth-breathing sister-fucking pieces of shit that vote Orange and only ever claim that every minority community is somehow less oppressed than their pure white brethren. His punishment was too light, imo.

You're not wrong in some way here, but the cause of justice between these two cases isn't the same.

Yeah, those two cases don't seem comparable to me. The Smollet case was about manufacturing a fake _hate crime_, which gets a lot of attention (and creates a lot of fear). The other one was a false accusation of petty theft. Arguably, making such a false accusation itself had elements of a hate crime because it seemed to involve racism, but it wasn't the huge song-and-dance pantomime that Smollet carefully manufactured.

Personally I find Smollet's behaviour so odd that I'm inclined to wonder if he needs psychiatric help more than jail time. In any case I don't see any great general conclusions can be drawn from such an idiosyncratic and unusual case. The guy's just weird.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yeah, those two cases don't seem comparable to me. The Smollet case was about manufacturing a fake _hate crime_, which gets a lot of attention (and creates a lot of fear). The other one was a false accusation of petty theft. Arguably, making such a false accusation itself had elements of a hate crime because it seemed to involve racism, but it wasn't the huge song-and-dance pantomime that Smollet carefully manufactured.

Personally I find Smollet's behaviour so odd that I'm inclined to wonder if he needs psychiatric help more than jail time. In any case I don't see any great general conclusions can be drawn from such an idiosyncratic and unusual case. The guy's just weird.
She should have done some jail for the assault

Reactions: SKORPI0

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
2 years probation. :rolleyes:
Under the agreement, in two years, Ponsetto’s charge will be reduced to aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, if she continues counseling and avoids any interaction with the criminal justice system by leading a “law-abiding life” the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

She pled guilty to a hate crime.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
She pled guilty to a hate crime.

OK, but it's still not hugely analogous to Smollet's antics.

Just stumbled on this story (that I didn't before know about) which seems a bit more analogous, in terms of the degree of contrivance and police time-wasting involved - it's not clear to me what sentence she got.

Edit - I mean I don't disagree with HomerJS's wider point, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of it, just that the Smolllet case seems so odd and unusual it's hard to find an exact analogue.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Despite your constant whining about the Justice system I can guarantee that it will continue to favor certain people who have status or money.

This occurs in all countries.....not just America.

Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Despite your constant whining about the Justice system I can guarantee that it will continue to favor certain people who have status or money.

Kind of funny the person with status and money in this thread ended up in jail.

In the recent example the person with arguably less status in society is spending no time in jail as part of her sentence.

Yet somehow the person of color is in jail and the white person isn’t.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Think it's just status and money? Let see if any of hose white people in the Florida community get anywhere near the time of Crystal Mason or Pamela Moses

But according to you we black people should shut up and be glad we live in Merica where whitey calls the shots in the 2 tiered justice system. Doesn't matter if us spooks are punished harsher for the SAME offenses