The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
I think it has its own significance in that it has provided the right, with its penchant for minimizing racism, to argue that all other hate crimes are fake.

I pointed out in an earlier post that DA Foxx, who may be corrupt here, replaced DA Alvarez, who sat on and concealed the shooting of a black man by a police officer who was later convicted of murder for the incident. There is a pattern of corruption in Chicago politics. It's a wonder that Obama seems to have steered clear of it.

This case can be seen as another in a pattern of incidents involving political corruption and/or police racism in Chicago. But as I said earlier, the case also has its own significance as part of a national political dynamic, and it's not a good one.

Also galling is the fact the Smollett continues to lie and deny his guilt, and that he walks because of wealth and privilege. He damaged real hate crimes victims and he got off with nothing. He didn't even have to apologize.

As a liberal, this case offends me on multiple levels.

Get the fuck out of here. You need to be doing what others are doing and pulling straws and whataboutisms to justify Smugglettes innocence. It's the liberal way.

Reactions: blackangst1
Nov 8, 2012

I guess Trump is no longer off topic for this thread??

For the record, I think someone should be looking into what happened. I just think the irony of Trump being upset because Jussie got off easy is hilarious.

Yeah, I mean... it was only a GINORMOUS FUCKING HUGE story where celebrity dipshits of every size gave their outspoken stupidity opinion until it came back to bite them.

But let's just ignore facts like that you insignificant moron.

Nov 8, 2012
Systematic police abuse against minorities? GET OFF THE BACKS OF THE COPS.

Let a black guy off easy? SEND IN THE FBI.

Find me someone that said dipshit affluenza people like Brock Turner got an appropriate sentence? We're all in the same boat. Quit making this partisan.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Find me someone that said dipshit affluenza people like Brock Turner got an appropriate sentence? We're all in the same boat. Quit making this partisan.

I didn’t make this anything, I am simply pointing out the obvious that conservatives think the federal government getting involved when police act too harshly against minorities is bad and think the federal government getting involved when the police act too leniently against minorities is good.

Do you think for even a single second that if another Brock Turner happened tomorrow that Trump would try and send in the FBI?

Nov 8, 2012
See this from an actual legit practicing lawyer to see just how full of shit this is.

He holds no bias - Specifically, he has no idea who the hell Jussie is prior to him reading about this.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm not sure what that means here though.
Here's what it means. The President who wants the FBI to investigate what essentially amounts to a man lying and not serving time while he pardoned a man who committed frequent civil rights violations. And you have people incorrectly trying to claim that no one cheers when someone the right supports gets away with a crime, but they fucking cheered Trump pardoning Arpaio. Nobody on the left is glad Smollett got away with it. But in the end he told a lie, it's unfortunately hard to care much about that in a world where the President has increased to 20+ public lies a day and his cult cheers it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Get the fuck out of here. You need to be doing what others are doing and pulling straws and whataboutisms to justify Smugglettes innocence. It's the liberal way.
I didn't know anyone could be as bad at reading as you seem to be.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Don't act as if an image wasn't immediately painted by the simple 4 letters of "MAGA".

I don't think his actions were not pointed. I'm saying that false claims of racism are inherently racist. It depends on other things done.

Even targeting a specific race might not be racist in the technical sense. If the motivation is not because I've is better/worse then it's not racism. It's racial, but not racism.

That almost never happens though. Most of the incidents I have seen that were faked were done by racist because of their racism.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's what it means. The President who wants the FBI to investigate what essentially amounts to a man lying and not serving time while he pardoned a man who committed frequent civil rights violations. And you have people incorrectly trying to claim that no one cheers when someone the right supports gets away with a crime, but they fucking cheered Trump pardoning Arpaio. Nobody on the left is glad Smollett got away with it. But in the end he told a lie, it's unfortunately hard to care much about that in a world where the President has increased to 20+ public lies a day and his cult cheers it.

Who here cheered the Arpaio thing? Or are you saying outside of the forum? I can find cheers from outside of the forum for this.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I didn’t make this anything, I am simply pointing out the obvious that conservatives think the federal government getting involved when police act too harshly against minorities is bad and think the federal government getting involved when the police act too leniently against minorities is good.
This has nothing to do with the police. When police act too harshly or irresponsibly against anyone, they should be held accountable. It only becomes a national conversation when there is a racial component.

The FBI is being sent in because it is apparent that inappropriate connections were made between Foxx and Jussie’s family by a power broker.

Do you think for even a single second that if another Brock Turner happened tomorrow that Trump would try and send in the FBI?
Depends on the nature of the crime and how much publicity it gets.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Says the person still rockin' their #AllLivesMatter in their sig.

I keep it their because of what I stated in my post. All people are equally important. The lives of all people matter. It's really just that simple; no hidden meaning - total face value. Nice try though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This has nothing to do with the police. When police act too harshly or irresponsibly against anyone, they should be held accountable. It only becomes a national conversation when there is a racial component.

Of course it has tons to do with the police. When the police are found in criminal contempt of court for habitually mistreating the public and prisoners who are primarily minorities conservatives cheer their pardon. When the police are found to go too easy on a black guy they freak out.

So not only are they not held accountable, accountability is deliberately thwarted.

The FBI is being sent in because it is apparent that inappropriate connections were made between Foxx and Jussie’s family by a power broker.

I have a bridge to sell you.

Depends on the nature of the crime and how much publicity it gets.

Joe Arpaio got tons of publicity for his police misconduct. Odd how that turned out so differently. Do you have any thoughts as to why?

(The answer is extreme racism)

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Of course it has tons to do with the police. When the police are found in criminal contempt of court for habitually mistreating the public and prisoners who are primarily minorities conservatives cheer their pardon. When the police are found to go too easy on a black guy they freak out.
The police didn’t go easy on Jussie at all. The prosecutor did. Also, liberals only seem to care when police abuse also involves race. Police abuse tends to correlate strongly to the socio-economic conditions of their precincts.

I have a bridge to sell you.
What is your asking price, and is it a drawbridge?

Joe Arpaio got tons of publicity for his police misconduct. Odd how that turned out so differently. Do you have any thoughts as to why?
Are you referring to his pardon?

(The answer is extreme racism)
It’s a factor but not the only answer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The police didn’t go easy on Jussie at all. The prosecutor did. Also, liberals only seem to care when police abuse also involves race. Police abuse tends to correlate strongly to the socio-economic conditions of their precincts.

I was using 'police' as a broad idea of 'law enforcement'. Regardless, while socioeconomic factors definitely affect police activity they come nowhere close to explaining the racial disparities in policing. I see no evidence that liberals only care when race is involved, it's just that race and socioeconomic factors often strongly overlap with one another.

I do see evidence of affirmative conservative hostility to reigning in police abuses when they are directed against minorities. Joe Arpaio is a great example of absolutely egregious human rights violations where he was found in criminal contempt of court and conservatives not only accepted his pardon, they celebrated it. Do you really think they would have done so if he were a rogue sheriff in Kansas imprisoning tons of white farmers in tent camps?

What is your asking price, and is it a drawbridge?

Are you referring to his pardon?

It’s a factor but not the only answer.

Basically nothing has only one cause - for example I'm sure Arpaio wouldn't have been pardoned if he were a Democrat. Doesn't change the fact that his abuse of Hispanics was a feature, not a bug.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I was using 'police' as a broad idea of 'law enforcement'. Regardless, while socioeconomic factors definitely affect police activity they come nowhere close to explaining the racial disparities in policing. I see no evidence that liberals only care when race is involved, it's just that race and socioeconomic factors often strongly overlap with one another.
Bingo, and that overlap is where the focus should be.

I do see evidence of affirmative conservative hostility to reigning in police abuses when they are directed against minorities. Joe Arpaio is a great example of absolutely egregious human rights violations where he was found in criminal contempt of court and conservatives not only accepted his pardon, they celebrated it. Do you really think they would have done so if he were a rogue sheriff in Kansas imprisoning tons of white farmers in tent camps?
There is a sentiment among conservatives that supports stronger border enforcement. Arpaio is indefensible and also not representative of anything other than the bizarro era of Trump.

Basically nothing has only one cause - for example I'm sure Arpaio wouldn't have been pardoned if he were a Democrat. Doesn't change the fact that his abuse of Hispanics was a feature, not a bug.
And I often wonder how Democrats would respond if the migratory pattern was from our northern border instead of our southern one, and the federal government and local authorities increased the enforcement tempo.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Who here cheered the Arpaio thing? Or are you saying outside of the forum? I can find cheers from outside of the forum for this.
While the majority of people felt the pardon was wrong, there were indeed individuals in these forums who felt that Arpaio deserved to be pardoned, was the victim of a witch hunt, or was only "protecting our borders".

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bingo, and that overlap is where the focus should be.

There is a sentiment among conservatives that supports stronger border enforcement. Arpaio is indefensible and also not representative of anything other than the bizarro era of Trump.

And I often wonder how Democrats would respond if the migratory pattern was from our northern border instead of our southern one, and the federal government and local authorities increased the enforcement tempo.
Why would Democrats react differently to Canadians?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
While the majority of people felt the pardon was wrong, there were indeed individuals in these forums who felt that Arpaio deserved to be pardoned, was the victim of a witch hunt, or was only "protecting our borders".

"Every now and then a black person of means can take advantage of the system. When that happens we feel like it is some kind of win. Even I know OJ and Jussie were both likely guilty."

Would something like that qualify then?