The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Which one are you more obsessed over?

Saying both should be tried in the court is not saying they are of equal magnitude. We would do a trial for murder or robbery even though those are nowhere near being equal in magnitude. What a dumb thing you said.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is more to the story than has been released. Give it a few weeks and we'll find out how he got a 16 count indictment tossed. It will be interesting.
I'd also not that 16 felony's was way over the top. This is a fine and 30 days kind of crime.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Saying both should be tried in the court is not saying they are of equal magnitude. We would do a trial for murder or robbery even though those are nowhere near being equal in magnitude. What a dumb thing you said.
Yawn. Good thing actions speak louder than words.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You speak of hypocrisy of Trump defenders, how bout yourself? Do you feel both Trump and Jussie should be tried in the courts?

I do.
Go back and read what I said. Jussie needs to do jail time. I've been consistent.

I talked to someone with additional info, seems his crime was the lowest class of felony. Having a clean record the harshest sentence would have been 1 year probation. Paperwork not worth the time of CPD so they cut a deal to make it go away. That involves sealing the record.

So that probably ends it.

Remember the woman who walked into a bar with a MAGA hat and claimed she was attacked? If her record is clean she is unlikely to do jail time either.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...st-anthony-anderson-hopes-he-wins/3298234002/

Smollett is nominated for the 2019 NAACP Image Awards, scheduled for Saturday. Six-time host and "Black-ish" star Anthony Anderson told Variety on Wednesday that he hopes to see the controversial actor there.​
“I hope he wins," Anderson added. "I’m happy for him that the system worked for him in his favor because the system isn’t always fair, especially for people of color. So I’m glad it worked out for him."​

Would be epic, hope he wins this thing. :D

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Of all the things they could fuck up...

This is going to stoke the fire of many people including racists. Its like people want to make a 2nd Trump term easy.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Damn that email looking for examples is pretty....uh....revealing. If Jussie was a poor black man that nobody heard of his outcome would certainly be more severe. The wealthy live by different rules, there’s no way around it.

That reminds me, IIRC the magazine with the letters cut out that were in the snail mail letter were found in the brothers apartment.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Go back and read what I said. Jussie needs to do jail time. I've been consistent.

I talked to someone with additional info, seems his crime was the lowest class of felony. Having a clean record the harshest sentence would have been 1 year probation. Paperwork not worth the time of CPD so they cut a deal to make it go away. That involves sealing the record.

So that probably ends it.

Remember the woman who walked into a bar with a MAGA hat and claimed she was attacked? If her record is clean she is unlikely to do jail time either.

Jail time is not what Jussie needs. He needs to be exposed. His crime was one of vanity. He put all this in motion, dozens of cops, lawyers, etc. spending undoubtedly hundreds of thousands in public expenses, and creating a national political drama, all based on a false narrative. All so he could preen and say, look at me. Oh, and he might get a raise out of it too.

His punishment should be exposure for the fraud he is because it takes away what he sought in committing the crime: respect and prestige. That, and a hefty fine to Chicago. Had I been DA here, I would have agreed to no jail time and plead to a misdemeanor in exchange for a public admission of guilt with a detailed allocution explaining why he did it and exactly how he did it.

A trial where he's found guilty would have essentially the same effect. Minimal court imposed punishment but total exposure. The public would see all the evidence and that a jury found him unanimously guilty.

I have a hard time believing they dumped such a high profile case entirely to save on paperwork. They didn't inform the police or mayor's office, setting them into a rage, likely because they knew that both would oppose the deal and try to talk them out of it. They risked this kind of friction with the cops and mayor to save on paperwork? Nah.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If you want to be sure you are on the right side of this story you are in luck cause our true south, Donald Trump, has tweeted in.
Just do a 180 from there, or as it is coined in Drumpf circles, a crazy Ivan, and you will be facing true north. Moral compass easy when you have a Drumpf tweet to navigate by.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Well, he should win. He's shown that black people can get to the point where enough money, celeb status, and friends in the right places gets you into that class where you get that special brand of justice that the peasant class doesn't get.

This is progress, baby.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...st-anthony-anderson-hopes-he-wins/3298234002/

Smollett is nominated for the 2019 NAACP Image Awards, scheduled for Saturday. Six-time host and "Black-ish" star Anthony Anderson told Variety on Wednesday that he hopes to see the controversial actor there.​
“I hope he wins," Anderson added. "I’m happy for him that the system worked for him in his favor because the system isn’t always fair, especially for people of color. So I’m glad it worked out for him."​

Would be epic, hope he wins this thing. :D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a black man finally gets a taste of privilege and half the country loses its mind.