The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
This thread is 62 pages long and I still don't care.
I don't care who this guy is, what acting he has done, or if and how much he lies.
For all we know, unless we personally know him which is highly doubtful, he could be a total nut case.
After all, we have one for president so why not some unknown lame actor as well?
I really don't care, but the true story in all of this is that anyone does care.
Now THAT issue is worth 62 pages.

Reactions: hal2kilo

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Poor boy can't take what he dishes out. Best we leave him be. Solomon, Twain, Einstein, and others have warned us of the perils of arguing with fools. Peace out, sir.

Its pretty clear. Someone accused you of being racist, and you responded by asking them to show evidence of something racist you have said. You accuse me of being racist, so I ask you what I have said that is racist. Your response to me is that you don't care enough to provide evidence of your claim. That should seem to be the same response to you when you ask someone else to do the thing you are unwilling to do.

Again, we see you in this thread not talking about the topic, but, getting into an argument about something totally unrelated. This seems to happen a lot with you.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Jussie's brother JoJo sticking to it, Jussie was assaulted that night and has been the victim of character assasination

https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2019/04/20/jojo-smollet.html

IT HAS NOT YET BEEN 90 DAYS since my younger brother, Jussie Smollett, was assaulted on a cold winter night in Chicago. Within less than three months, his life has been turned upside down as my family and I have witnessed him endure unrelenting attacks to his character and reputation. Like so many others, this entire process quickly devolved from a focus on him as a victim of assault, to him being falsely accused and held responsible for a crime that was perpetrated against him. To define this experience as unjust would be an understatement.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Jussie's brother JoJo sticking to it, Jussie was assaulted that night and has been the victim of character assasination

IT HAS NOT YET BEEN 90 DAYS since my younger brother, Jussie Smollett, was assaulted on a cold winter night in Chicago. Within less than three months, his life has been turned upside down as my family and I have witnessed him endure unrelenting attacks to his character and reputation. Like so many others, this entire process quickly devolved from a focus on him as a victim of assault, to him being falsely accused and held responsible for a crime that was perpetrated against him. To define this experience as unjust would be an understatement.
I don't see the point in stirring this particular pot. Smollett is done. He's branded himself as mentally ill at best, and an ignorant, self aggrandizing fool at worst. He needs to either go away or run for president.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Who the F is Jojo? Another asswipe in need of fake fame.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't see the point in stirring this particular pot. Smollett is done. He's branded himself as mentally ill at best, and an ignorant, self aggrandizing fool at worst. He needs to either go away or run for president.

Well, let's step back and examine the issue.

Smollett told a lie, got caught, but not prosecuted. He still has support / followers who believe him. Who are, might I say, using feelings not facts, and are detached from reality? P&N would describe them as typical Republicans, Trumpanizes even. Except for one small problem. They probably all vote Democrat.

So let this be a case study of not all Democrats being above feelings and faith based devotion, even if it means insular thinking in stark contrast to factual reality. This story contains its own microcosm where a new demographic is proven to have joined an alternative reality bubble. If nothing else, that makes for an interesting subject matter as we increase our understanding of the limits of the human mind.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
In today's episode of As the Stomach Turns:

Osundairo Brothers Sue Jussie Smollett’s Attorneys, Mark Geragos And Tina Glandian, For Defamation

"Ola and Abel Osundairo, the brothers who were involved in the alleged hoax attack on Jussie Smollett, are suing two of the “Empire” actor’s attorneys for defamation, accusing Mark Geragos and Tina Glandian of falsely accusing them of an actual hate crime.

Last month, Cook County prosecutors dropped disorderly conduct charges against Smollett, who had been accused of paying the Osundairo brothers $3,500 to stage a homophobic and racist attack on him on Jan. 29.

Although prosecutors insisted they do not believe Smollett is innocent, Glandian and Geragos have maintained the Osundairo brothers actually attacked Smollett.

“Defendants made these comments knowing they were untrue to distract from Mr. Smollett’s farce and to promote themselves and the Geragos & Geragos Law Firm,” the Osundairo brothers’ lawsuit alleges. “Statements indicating Plaintiffs actually criminally battered Mr. Smollett without his consent are patently false and defamatory, as Mr. Smollett originated, planned, and orchestrated the attack.”

In an interview on The Today Show, Glandian suggested the Osundairo brothers may have been wearing “whiteface” during the attack, and that might have been why Smollett told police his attackers were white.

The Osundairo brothers’ lawsuit alleges Glandian “falsely submitted that Plaintiffs may have been wearing “whiteface” while attacking Mr. Smollett – again stating Plaintiffs battered Mr. Smollett and adding the implication that this battery was a hate crime.”

The lawsuit claims Glandian’s and Geragos’ statements “have caused considerable damage to Plaintiffs’ careers, as they have lost talent agent contracts and career opportunities.”

“Thus, Ms. Glandian’s statements have caused Plaintiffs irreparable financial damage,” the lawsuit adds.

The brothers also claim they have suffered “significant emotional distress and feel unsafe and alienated in their local Chicago community.”

The lawsuit also claims Glandian publicly suggested Ola Osundario and Smollet had engaged in homosexual acts together on the podcast “Reasonable Doubt.”

According to the lawsuit, Glandian’s suggestion that Ola Osundairo is homosexual puts him and his family in Nigeria in danger, noting that homosexual activity is illegal in Nigeria, and is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, or death by stoning if the accused is married.
“As a result of Ms. Glandian’s false and defamatory statements concerning Bola Osundairo’s sexual activity, Plaintiff suffered and will continue to suffer damage, including economic damages and damages to his reputation.

Although the brothers were born and raised in Chicago, their lawsuit states they are Nigerian Americans, and often visit family in Nigeria.
The lawsuit also alleges Glandian falsely accused both brothers of being involved in illegal steroid trafficking.

“These statements were unnecessarily made publicly to numerous third parties to advance Ms. Glandian’s reputation and fame and to undoubtedly ruin Plaintiffs’ business,” the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages."

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
In today's episode of As the Stomach Turns:

Osundairo Brothers Sue Jussie Smollett’s Attorneys, Mark Geragos And Tina Glandian, For Defamation

"Ola and Abel Osundairo, the brothers who were involved in the alleged hoax attack on Jussie Smollett, are suing two of the “Empire” actor’s attorneys for defamation, accusing Mark Geragos and Tina Glandian of falsely accusing them of an actual hate crime.

Last month, Cook County prosecutors dropped disorderly conduct charges against Smollett, who had been accused of paying the Osundairo brothers $3,500 to stage a homophobic and racist attack on him on Jan. 29.

Although prosecutors insisted they do not believe Smollett is innocent, Glandian and Geragos have maintained the Osundairo brothers actually attacked Smollett.

“Defendants made these comments knowing they were untrue to distract from Mr. Smollett’s farce and to promote themselves and the Geragos & Geragos Law Firm,” the Osundairo brothers’ lawsuit alleges. “Statements indicating Plaintiffs actually criminally battered Mr. Smollett without his consent are patently false and defamatory, as Mr. Smollett originated, planned, and orchestrated the attack.”

In an interview on The Today Show, Glandian suggested the Osundairo brothers may have been wearing “whiteface” during the attack, and that might have been why Smollett told police his attackers were white.

The Osundairo brothers’ lawsuit alleges Glandian “falsely submitted that Plaintiffs may have been wearing “whiteface” while attacking Mr. Smollett – again stating Plaintiffs battered Mr. Smollett and adding the implication that this battery was a hate crime.”

The lawsuit claims Glandian’s and Geragos’ statements “have caused considerable damage to Plaintiffs’ careers, as they have lost talent agent contracts and career opportunities.”

“Thus, Ms. Glandian’s statements have caused Plaintiffs irreparable financial damage,” the lawsuit adds.

The brothers also claim they have suffered “significant emotional distress and feel unsafe and alienated in their local Chicago community.”

The lawsuit also claims Glandian publicly suggested Ola Osundario and Smollet had engaged in homosexual acts together on the podcast “Reasonable Doubt.”

According to the lawsuit, Glandian’s suggestion that Ola Osundairo is homosexual puts him and his family in Nigeria in danger, noting that homosexual activity is illegal in Nigeria, and is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, or death by stoning if the accused is married.
“As a result of Ms. Glandian’s false and defamatory statements concerning Bola Osundairo’s sexual activity, Plaintiff suffered and will continue to suffer damage, including economic damages and damages to his reputation.

Although the brothers were born and raised in Chicago, their lawsuit states they are Nigerian Americans, and often visit family in Nigeria.
The lawsuit also alleges Glandian falsely accused both brothers of being involved in illegal steroid trafficking.

“These statements were unnecessarily made publicly to numerous third parties to advance Ms. Glandian’s reputation and fame and to undoubtedly ruin Plaintiffs’ business,” the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages."

This may be a good thing, as a civil lawsuit will reopen all the evidence that was buried when the DA declined to prosecute.

However, I think the plaintiffs will face a challenge based on what is called litigation privilege, that an attorney can say things publicly to protect her client when the client is facing possible prosecution, even if those things turn out to be false.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
This may be a good thing, as a civil lawsuit will reopen all the evidence that was buried when the DA declined to prosecute.

I was thinking the same thing about Chicago's lawsuit to collect investigation costs. Smollett's criminal charge was dropped but ANY lawsuit thereafter would just open the book to a chapter in his life that he would like to forget. I believe that this is one (of many) of the reasons why the city sued for costs. If you can't get his in criminal court ... go for him in civil where the damning evidence will (hopefully) expose the truth/facts.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Well, now we shall see what we shall see. The case file is going to be unsealed. Should be interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/entertainment/jussie-smollett-judge-unseals-case-file/index.html

I wouldn't want to be Jussie Smollett right now. The facts are going to come to light ... and expose him and his deeds. Glad to see that a judge had the mind/guts to open the file. Heck, a LOT of this info would probably have been exposed during the civil case against him.

What was he thinking?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Netflix needs to do an original content movie once we know what really happened. They could get Smollett to play the lead. Then he would have a job. :p

Mar 11, 2004
Prosecute a person who orchestrated a cover up. Can we quote you with this at a more opportune time??

Look dude, he doesn't even like Turmp. He just loves the taste of his cum so much he can't unlatch his mouth from Turmp's dick (so much so that he's super ok with sucking it through Turmp's asshole). But Turmp totally didn't do anything wrong ever and its just a witch hunt. And even though Turmp is a piece of shit, well he's saying things that make a lot of sense to SuckTurmp'sDick. Clearly he's awful, but like, nothing he does is actually awful. Do you get it yet you fucking idiot, dumbass liberal moron? Also his family doesn't want to go out to eat with him and talk to him. Its because smartphones and totally not because he's a raging lunatic that is immune to the zombie outbreak because he has no brains. But he's an expert on everything, he just, you know doesn't know anything about any subject that he ever posts about, except when its some no name black actor that he didn't know anything about but now hates more than anyone. That guy being attacked, he knew immediately was completely false, even before he knew anything about it. Because duh, there isn't actual racism. There's not white supremacists posting on 4Chan so all the white supremacist shit on there is just them trolling! Which is totally fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong at all with using racism and similar bigotry to troll people. That should be accepted and social media should be forced to publish all the people posting that stuff, and no one should have a problem with it, because its just trolling. But now the SPLC are total evil and should be banned from existing!

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I wouldn't want to be Jussie Smollett right now. The facts are going to come to light ... and expose him and his deeds. Glad to see that a judge had the mind/guts to open the file. Heck, a LOT of this info would probably have been exposed during the civil case against him.

What was he thinking?
It was a staggering disappointment to see those charges dropped, not only did he cost the CPD a considerable chunk of $$, his punk antics will now make it tougher for those who do suffer this type of attack to be taken more seriously.