The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm invested because I care about the country. This has the potential to have very long term social implications. No matter which side politically you fall, I think anyone could reasonably have a interest here.

So maybe get off of your high horse?
That is ridiculous. This episode will not have long term social implications no matter how it plays out. Conservatives only care so much because if it does turn out to be fake they can use it to dismiss the hundreds of other instances of magatards doing similar shit as all fake news.

If it turns out not to be fake half of conservatives will still think it is fake and the other half will dismiss it as a couple of insane people not representative of conservatives. Everyone else won't give a shit because behavior like this is just expected by magatards at this point.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That is ridiculous. This episode will not have long term social implications no matter how it plays out. Conservatives only care so much because if it does turn out to be fake they can use it to dismiss the hundreds of other instances of magatards doing similar shit as all fake news.

If it turns out not to be fake half of conservatives will still think it is fake and the other half will dismiss it as a couple of insane people not representative of conservatives. Everyone else won't give a shit because behavior like this is just expected by magatards at this point.

Well, I disagree.

So if none of it matters, why are you here?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, I disagree.

So if none of it matters, why are you here?
I saw a magatard friend of mine posting some shit on FB about how this is a hoax so I decided to check the last page of this thread to see what the real deal is since it would be faster than googling and trying to figure out on my own. It's actually the first time I entered this thread because I just don't care all that much.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Unless I'm missing something Smollett said they were wearing masks.

Also ... Trump does have black supporters....

From the link I provided earlier.

9864382-6708821-Among_items_police_seized_from_the_home_were_black_ski_masks_It_-m-4_1550249972288.jpg

Among items police seized from the home were black ski masks. It is not known if they were the same as those shown above which the brothers sell online. Smollett said one of his attackers was wearing a ski mask when he was attacked
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ned-Jussie-Smollett-attack-says-innocent.html

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
To the topic as a whole, I'm going to say anyone invested in the outcome of this investigation that's not related to or co-workers with anyone involved should probably ask themselves why it is they care so much. And be honest. And then realize you can't be honest with yourself about this and talk to a therapist.

LOL. That's almost every thread in ATPN and the internet and social media.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
LOL. That's almost every thread in ATPN and the internet and social media.
Um, what our leaders decide to do regarding economic policy kind of affects our lives at least. The outcome of this story? Yeah, no.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That’s a good write up by the daily mail, also those two guys are frikcin huge. So they definitely appear to be acquaintances with him.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What if masks covered their faces and he never actually saw them? Based on what was said and the simulated lynching I would assume white. However if he didn't see their faces he should have said so in the interview.

I don't recall there ever being a case of lynching where a black man lynched another black man in this country.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm invested because I care about the country. This has the potential to have very long term social implications. No matter which side politically you fall, I think anyone could reasonably have a interest here.

So maybe get off of your high horse?
The only important social implications of this incident are that racist pieces of shit look forward to pointing at it as proof that racism doesn't exist.

That's it. Otherwise, it's about an actor that I've never heard of before claiming he was assaulted. If he faked it as a publicity stunt, then I hope he is prosecuted for that. If he didn't fake it, then I'd like to hope some of you would have the decency to apologize (but we know that won't happen).

I do admit to being somewhat appalled by the reactions of some people to this though. Not surprisingly, they're the same ones most likely to be freaked out and starting threads at any rumors of black-on-white violence. But white-on-black? Why that's always just a hoax, right? Never happened. Ever. And this proves it, right?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://abc11.com/police-2-persons-...ollett-case-released-without-charges/5139942/

Chicago police said Friday night two persons of interest in the alleged attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett are being released without charges.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi released a statement saying, "Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete."

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I don’t want this story to end.

Ok so in the last hour we’ve learned that Jussie has lawyered up biggly and the two Nigerian princes were released and as a result of their interrogation new evidence has come to light the police need to investigate.

I’m thinking they definitely sang, Jussie knows this, and there’s even more to this story (it’s like bonus episodes). My theory is that the letter with he powder that was sent is tied to Jussie and these two guys, they broke a deal with the PD and told them about it, and now Chicago PD is working the case from that angle. The guy coming out saying no evidence of a hoax etc is the police trying to control the investigation and let Jussie keep digging his hole.

This needs to be a movie. Possible starring Jussie Smollett as Jussie Smollett.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
What if masks covered their faces and he never actually saw them? Based on what was said and the simulated lynching I would assume white. However if he didn't see their faces he should have said so in the interview.

I don't recall there ever being a case of lynching where a black man lynched another black man in this country.
...but lynching should be a hate crime, right?

If someone lynches another person just because of that person's race, it's already a hate crime. Same if it was stabbing, burning, shooting or whatever.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
...but lynching should be a hate crime, right?

If someone lynches another person just because of that person's race, it's already a hate crime. Same if it was stabbing, burning, shooting or whatever.

Cory and Kamala have a good "see look what we’ve done" piece of fluff though to help run on since they were the bills sponsors. I mean ok we have a new tool to go after those that lynch somebody, I don’t think anybody thinks thats bad. My issue is Cory and Kamala are fanning racial tensions for political gain. When was the last lynching? I’m sure whomever perpetrated it would get life if not the death penalty. This is nothing more than political fluff to fan racial tensions in an effort to energize the base, the same thing Trump is using his wall for.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So it turns out he’s familiar with his two attackers, on the same show and go to the same gym and they’ve been to his apartment and follow each other’s YouTube etc. Jussie just went out for a footlong. What are the chances he runs into these two people that he knows in the middle of the night in absolutely bitterly cold weather and they don’t live around there. I’d say pretty damned slim. The much much more likely scenario is they knew to meet up for whatever (drugs, sex, baseball cards, whatever). So let’s assume it’s not a hoax and those two really did rough him up, why did Jussie lie to the police about not knowing who his assailants were? I don’t think it likely they were staking him out at 2 in the morning in negative temps hoping that he’d leave his place to go get somehing to eat, and the police could easily identify two people sitting there staking out an apartment on all the surveillance vids.

The Nigerian princes fessed up during the police interview, and it’s something bigger than a fake attack. I’d absolutely bet he’s tied to the letter with the powder that was sent because the high octane lawyer he got is for federal crimes not just filing a false police report.

Oh Jessie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
OTOH, what if the police simply arrested the wrong people? It's still early, maybe they'll be let go.

Called it.
As for the implications... who the !@#$ knows. If he actually knows, and I mean KNOWS, these two men... how the hell did he mistake their identities? This makes the pieces that do not add up, REALLY start to look bad. Next thing the police would do is arrest Jessie.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
So, it looks like either A) the brothers helped Jessie perpetrate a hoax but rolled over on him while in custody in return for immunity, or B) at least successfully sold that story to the police or C) something much, much stranger stranger is going on that's 180 degrees from what anyone has speculated so far. For what it's worth, my money is on the third option, with a small chance of A and very little chance of B.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
https://abc11.com/police-2-persons-...ollett-case-released-without-charges/5139942/

Chicago police said Friday night two persons of interest in the alleged attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett are being released without charges.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi released a statement saying, "Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete."

The more we know the weirder it gets. Be sure to tune in for the next episode. I'm going back to watching it unfold.

Last edited: