The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
He said during some sort of interview this.
"Smollett, 36, who is gay, has said his attackers were white and that his story would not have been doubted if an attacker had been "a Muslim, or a Mexican, or someone black".

I can't find where he said it during that interview where he said the stuff about Muslim & Mexican. TMZ says he said it, but it was that they "were told twice, after we posted, it accurately reflected Jussie's version of events." Who told them that? Also their "Jussie sources" reaffirmed he said the were white.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/15/jussie-smollett-race-black-white-nigerian-attack/

So it certainly could be true, but it still seems to be reported stuff. Maybe my Google skills just need some honing.

Nov 8, 2012
The police are investigating two suspects with probable cause that they were involved. Enough probable cause that they were able to obtain search warrants. Another detail put out by the police is that these brothers worked on Empire in some capacity. I'm still waiting for the conclusion, but I think that some of you gleefully carrying on that this was definitely a hoax will have some crow to eat. This is starting to look quite plausible as a homophobic attack. Smollett did make the incorrect assumption that they were white, but basically everyone did that.

Lol it's pretty much a guaranteed hoax at this point. This is proving it further.

These guys not only worked on Empire - They are FUCKING FRIENDS with Jesse. They worked out together. The two that they are interviewing will have to give in and admit it was all a planned hoax.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
They were wearing masks. Knowing Trump's calls for physical violence and his years of attacking people of color, being one myself I might conclude that. 2 blacks from Nigeria would be my last guess.

We don't have copies of the police report so we don't what he said once he had time to calm down.

We have what he said in interviews. He said they were white, and that one of them punched him so he punched one back.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Lol it's pretty much a guaranteed hoax at this point. This is proving it further.

These guys not only worked on Empire - They are FUCKING FRIENDS with Jesse. They worked out together. The two that they are interviewing will have to give in and admit it was all a planned hoax.
Your definition and my definition of "proving it" aren't the same.

I'm not saying this happened, but if I was a black dude in a mask attacking someone who couldn't say my face, I might yell MAGA too in order to make the victim think I was white. Just saying...

Also, isn't being gay frowned upon in Africa? Like to the point that people have been killed over it?

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016

I know they worked on Empire, where are you seeing it that they were friends with him? I'm mostly sticking to details released by the police who continue to reiterate that they are not looking at this as a hoax and treating Jussie as a victim.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I can't find where he said it during that interview where he said the stuff about Muslim & Mexican. TMZ says he said it, but it was that they "were told twice, after we posted, it accurately reflected Jussie's version of events." Who told them that? Also their "Jussie sources" reaffirmed he said the were white.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/15/jussie-smollett-race-black-white-nigerian-attack/

So it certainly could be true, but it still seems to be reported stuff. Maybe my Google skills just need some honing.

It's from his GMA interview.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna971221

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

And this is what we all mean with your pre-disposition to assume black people are lying.

The police have already started "THIS IS NOT A HOAX" yet you are still claiming it is a hoax.

Nov 8, 2012
Your definition and my definition of "proving it" aren't the same.

I'm not saying this happened, but if I was a black dude in a mask attacking someone who couldn't say my face, I might yell MAGA too in order to make the victim think I was white. Just saying...

Also, isn't being gay frowned upon in Africa? Like to the point that people have been killed over it?
Yes but just add up all the facts... Imagine someone with a Nigerian accent saying that. That in or itself is hilarious. Anyone with half a brain would know they are black.

He already declared his attackers we're white as it he saw their skin.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes but just add up all the facts... Imagine someone with a Nigerian accent saying that. That in or itself is hilarious. Anyone with half a brain would know they are black.

We don't know yet if those are the suspects. We do know his attack was not a hoax as told by police.

But because JS is black you still are sticking to the claim this entire episode is a hoax.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
And this is what we all mean with your pre-disposition to assume black people are lying.

The police have already started "THIS IS NOT A HOAX" yet you are still claiming it is a hoax.

Once again - the police didn't say that, the Los Angeles Times said that as the headline of their piece. The police spokesman said "“While we haven’t found any video documenting the alleged attack, there is no evidence to say that this is a hoax.”

I don't know whether or not it is a hoax.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
0215-jussie-smollett-suspects-main-1.jpg

Why did he originally say the attackers were white. I think the headline of your article is deeply flawed.
He still says that. Police have not said arrested Nigerians were suspects. BTW - you should post link with these pictures

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't see anything anywhere in the link about him saying the attackers were white.

"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more, and that says a lot about the place we are in our country right now," Smollett told ABC News.

So logically it flows.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more, and that says a lot about the place we are in our country right now," Smollett told ABC News.

So logically it flows.
That is true. Trump responds on twitter when attackers are people of color or Muslim against white people.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That is true. Trump responds on twitter when attackers are people of color or Muslim against white people.

Trump responded to this saying it was as bad as it gets. Let's not devolve this into Trump. I get with the MAGA claim he is not totally irrelevant, but him as a topic will only make this thread flame.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Since the dude is Nigerian you are assuming he has a thick Nigerian accent? Have you heard him talk?

I also have tons of friends who are Spanish/Asian/Black yet if you talked to them on the phone you would think they are just white American.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

It's telling that you can't spell a man's name correctly.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
To the topic as a whole, I'm going to say anyone invested in the outcome of this investigation that's not related to or co-workers with anyone involved should probably ask themselves why it is they care so much. And be honest. And then realize you can't be honest with yourself about this and talk to a therapist.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

So logically it flows.

I can go with that, kind of. Thanks.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
To the topic as a whole, I'm going to say anyone invested in the outcome of this investigation that's not related to or co-workers with anyone involved should probably ask themselves why it is they care so much. And be honest. And then realize you can't be honest with yourself about this and talk to a therapist.

I'm invested because I care about the country. This has the potential to have very long term social implications. No matter which side politically you fall, I think anyone could reasonably have a interest here.

So maybe get off of your high horse?

Nov 8, 2012
He still says that. Police have not said arrested Nigerians were suspects. BTW - you should post link with these pictures

We don't know yet if those are the suspects.

It has been confirmed that these ARE the suspects. They are no longer persons of interest. The only thing is that they have not formally been charged with a crime - but the main point is that YES, the police have DECLARED these 2 are suspects. They were arrested and detained.

You're a moron. Police do not arrest people if they aren't suspects.

It's also (as I said) been confirmed that Smollett and the Nigerian brothers are friends.

The gym in Smollett's building is only open to residents. The brothers' lawyer said on Thursday that they worked out with the actor and were friends

Best source / gathering of all the details thus far:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ned-Jussie-Smollett-attack-says-innocent.html

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yes I've heard conservatives making that argument since I was in college in the 80's. They don't understand why we add to someone's sentence because the crime was committed with a racist motive.
What makes lynching different from any other type of murder? If a white man lynches another white man, is it a "hate crime?"

I'm pretty sure murdering someone for their race / gender / sexual orientation is already a hate crime, no matter which method the murderer uses to accomplish the murder.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Also, at the very least we now know that his original story about it being 2 white males was wrong. Yet to see if it was a lie, but, the more we get the less it seems he was telling the truth. At least, if the leaks about him modifying his phone records ect. This sucks.
If the attack happened as we were told, there's a good chance these guys that did it -- but at this point it's not 100% certain that they are the perpetrators. I don't think they've been charged or made a plea. Certainly not proven beyond doubt or convicted.