The Intel Atom Thread

Page 216 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
And the last one seems to be a Dual Core... but it makes no sense since the uArch states that the bare minimun is being a Quad Core.
According to what? It would be quite silly if they can't disable cores within a cluster.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Mmm... and there are 4 of them.

Maybe the 1st one is the Octa Core going up to 3.5 Ghz single core and 3.2 Ghz all of them? because having 35W boost is higher than expecting. Is the Pentium Silver this time.

The mobile oriented Pentium Silver N6000 using Tremont has a PL2 of 20W. The laptops reviewed never reach that, so it might as well be a placeholder.

The 10W N6005 system out there is also configured to have PL2 of 10W.

I think the PL1 figure is more important. Since it has max config of 15W for the first part, it's plausible it's a full fledged two cluster, 8 core part. But it might also be a desktop chip.

Dual cores would be silly due to performance, 2C/2T is a huge NO today.

Depends on what you do. I don't have more than 5 tabs open. I honestly think a modern single core not being able to handle more than few browser tabs ridiculous as it shows how inefficient modern software has become. That's virtually zero progression since 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Depends on what you do. I don't have more than 5 tabs open. I honestly think a modern single core not being able to handle more than few browser tabs ridiculous as it shows how inefficient modern software has become. That's virtually zero progression since 20 years ago.

A lot of things changed. There is a lot of added overhead due to security stuff. The os also have lots of extra overhead. For example you can use a hdd in win7 it's usable at least. Good luck with that on 10/11.

And websites can also be cpu heavy due to js. Etc etc etc.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
The mobile oriented Pentium Silver N6000 using Tremont has a PL2 of 20W. The laptops reviewed never reach that, so it might as well be a placeholder.

The 10W N6005 system out there is also configured to have PL2 of 10W.

I think the PL1 figure is more important. Since it has max config of 15W for the first part, it's plausible it's a full fledged two cluster, 8 core part. But it might also be a desktop chip.

Mmm... you mentioned the wattage versions, so... it might be possible that... the mobile Pentium Silver might be low clocked octa core (max. 3.0 Ghz single core and 2.5 Ghz multi one) while the desktop one goes full 3.5 Ghz at that PL?

While the Quad Core parts might be clocked higher (ex. 3.2 Ghz all cores) and if there are Dual Core parts it might go the full 3.5 Ghz.

About modern software I have to agree. But not 20 years ago, but just 10. Seems that the developers got more and more lazy with the easyness of the programming. However going Dual Core at this moment is not recommended at all. Not even basic POS deserves that.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Mmm... you mentioned the wattage versions, so... it might be possible that... the mobile Pentium Silver might be low clocked octa core (max. 3.0 Ghz single core and 2.5 Ghz multi one) while the desktop one goes full 3.5 Ghz at that PL?

While the Quad Core parts might be clocked higher (ex. 3.2 Ghz all cores) and if there are Dual Core parts it might go the full 3.5 Ghz.

I think with Gracemont it'll get to Pentium Gold territory. But based on the clocks Tremont is running at, an 8 core won't even reach 2GHz at 6W. Of course single thread they can go over 3GHz whether you are talking 6W or 15W.

About modern software I have to agree. But not 20 years ago, but just 10. Seems that the developers got more and more lazy with the easyness of the programming. However going Dual Core at this moment is not recommended at all. Not even basic POS deserves that.

Might all be managing expectations and the fact that we all got used to the performance. Once you use a faster system for few years, previous ones will feel slow.

By the way my parents use a Core 2 Quad Q9400. Before it was Core 2 Duo E6400. When I upgraded the chip for them, I honestly felt no difference.
The biggest upgrade will be going from HDD to SSD, and then upgrading the RAM.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I think with Gracemont it'll get to Pentium Gold territory. But based on the clocks Tremont is running at, an 8 core won't even reach 2GHz at 6W. Of course single thread they can go over 3GHz whether you are talking 6W or 15W.

Might all be managing expectations and the fact that we all got used to the performance. Once you use a faster system for few years, previous ones will feel slow.

By the way my parents use a Core 2 Quad Q9400. Before it was Core 2 Duo E6400. When I upgraded the chip for them, I honestly felt no difference.
The biggest upgrade will be going from HDD to SSD, and then upgrading the RAM.
Actually is impossible to see an octa core at 6 Watts. I was meaning to 15 Watts. It can reach that speed.

Meanwhile having more room for improvements are always good. The SSD upgrade is great, but the processor one leaves more room for future developments.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Actually is impossible to see an octa core at 6 Watts. I was meaning to 15 Watts. It can reach that speed.

Meanwhile having more room for improvements are always good. The SSD upgrade is great, but the processor one leaves more room for future developments.

I don't know if they can reach 3GHz with 8 cores even at 15W PL1. Tremont 10W is at 3GHz under multi-threaded workloads like Cinebench but that's with 4 cores. Gracemont is 30% faster per clock plus they'll have to double cores.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't know if they can reach 3GHz with 8 cores even at 15W PL1. Tremont 10W is at 3GHz under multi-threaded workloads like Cinebench but that's with 4 cores. Gracemont is 30% faster per clock plus they'll have to double cores.

Base for this 8 core is probably 900 Mhz.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Actually I was meaning:
- 1 core at 3 Ghz
- 8 cores at 2.5 Ghz or even 2.4.

But considering the improvements, even by 2.4 Ghz at 15 W it can be interesting to see it at least.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
By the awesome FanlessTech:

Exclusive: Alder Lake-N TDP
Intel Processor N100 4/4 6W
Intel Processor N200 4/4 6W
Intel Core i3 N300 8/8 7W
Intel Core i3 N305 8/8 15W

Finally we'll see truly efficient Gracemont setups without being hobbled by the interface and the I/O requirements. And I am not surprised to see it encroach the Core i3 line.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
By the awesome FanlessTech:

Finally we'll see truly efficient Gracemont setups without being hobbled by the interface and the I/O requirements. And I am not surprised to see it encroach the Core i3 line.

Man. 4 cores at 6 watts. What a time to be alive!

I actually still use the older Atom chips quite a bit in my work, especially as thin clients for stuff like VPN WFH machines & for digital signage with cheap 4K televisions. I use these little fanless dudes rocking the Z8350 chip from 2016 for $89: (I've had better luck with them than the stick PC's)

They're great for single-monitor setups or for people who just want a little box to plug into their TV to VPN into work with a wireless keyboard & mouse. The low-end Celeron & Pentiums are still useful as well. I use these dual-HDMI Celeron J4125 units for when I need dual screens:

Then these triple-display Intel Pentium Silver J5005 units for when I need triple screens:

I've also been buying a lot of Gateway laptops from Walmart lately. The prices are bonkers. It's like back to Netbook times haha. They have 11.6" Celerons for $89 right now:

The 14" Pentium Silver laptops are $139:

Which is funny given the law of supply & demand, because the Raspberry Pi 4 is going for $175:

And yet you can get an i5 renewed ultra-micro desktop for $120:

And yet the Atom marches on! lol

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It isn't the number of cores but the quality of the core; having said that i have no clue if this processor is any good. Hopefully it is faster than my phone cause the older processors kind of sucked.

Reactions: scineram

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
With this news...
- Dual Cores are officially dead. The Big Celerons are the last Dual cores it seems.
- Quad at 6 watts will be a new standard... considering that the Orange Pi wich is an Octa (Ok, a Big Quad, Small Quad) are around 75 dollars for 8 GB RAM (and I am tempted), this is interesting to watch
- Meanwhile the performance has been leaked and despite ST wise is not that great, MT wise is interesting.

Makes me wonder how will fare with a dGPU. And also what if we will see a 16 small core design.

Reactions: Kaido

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've also been buying a lot of Gateway laptops from Walmart lately. The prices are bonkers. It's like back to Netbook times haha. They have 11.6" Celerons for $89 right now:
Unfortunately, all of their Celeron and Pentium (Silver) are all Atom-lineage CPUs, and they still have a bit of an IPC deficit. They just don't handle Windows Update very well, even with an SSD, in my experience (although, better an SSD than a HDD).

That said, I've purchased like 4 Gateway laptops within a span of as many weeks, all of them a relative bargain (if you can live with the fact that they are more or less "disposable" (non-upgradable, except for possibly the storage).

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Unfortunately, all of their Celeron and Pentium (Silver) are all Atom-lineage CPUs, and they still have a bit of an IPC deficit. They just don't handle Windows Update very well, even with an SSD, in my experience (although, better an SSD than a HDD).

That said, I've purchased like 4 Gateway laptops within a span of as many weeks, all of them a relative bargain (if you can live with the fact that they are more or less "disposable" (non-upgradable, except for possibly the storage).
Gracemont/ADL-N should be a very large upgrade over any N-series currently in the market. Looks like those Gateway laptops are running 2c Gemini Lake, so that would be a massive improvement.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Yeah, and even Youtube is generally pretty crappy on them lol. But great for things like RDP & Powerpoint kiosks, haha!

I'm surprised at the quality of the Gateway laptops, like...they're not bad! I have a handful of them setup primarily as cheapo VPN laptops for WFH users. I really hate dedicated thin client equipment & would take a crappy Windows computer over one of those dedicated nonsense computers any day!

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Has anyone found out if that rumor or patch was accurate that Alder Lake-N has the integrated Thunderbolt hub(2xThunderbolt 4) from Alder Lake-M?
"Default board ADL-P has 4 typec ports, while ADL-M/N has only 2 typec ports."

Hopefully, if so Intel makes some cheap eGPU/eGFX pucks. (ADL-N + 1x16 GB DDR5-5600(also rumored?) + 2 TB NVMe + eGFX[eGPU] => NS's ideal new rig)

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008

The 14" Pentium Silver laptops are $139:

I was looking at those earlier today, also noticed they have Qualcomm Windows on Arm Laptops for $129. I wonder how bad those devices are for that price.