The Intel Atom Thread

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
I could be a mixture of some or all of them, but it seems very suspicious that 1 alone can explain it.

I am in complete agreement and welcome the insight that may come from comparative testing in due course. Also, I would add one more factor to your list of possible explanations. Because ARM has not faced external competition for a long time, their ecosystem may have grown complacent. The rigors of competition may force all to up their game. That is good news for consumers notwithstanding who prevails.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I am in complete agreement and welcome the insight that may come from comparative testing in due course. Also, I would add one more factor to your list of possible explanations. Because ARM has not faced external competition for a long time, their ecosystem may have grown complacent. The rigors of competition may force all to up their game. That is good news for consumers notwithstanding who prevails.

China and the rest of the world have grown complacent except Intel??? Is that the big analysis!
Everyone and his brother is making a53 and soon a72. Adding Intel to the mix does not make a difference for the "complacent" i am pretty sure. Lol.

A lot of talk does not change the simple facts about 0.7mm2. The marginal cost is next to zerro. Intel is taking its toll on this. We can only guess if its 4 or 6b this year. They will not let us know.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
A lot of talk does not change the simple facts about 0.7mm2. The marginal cost is next to zerro. Intel is taking its toll on this. We can only guess if its 4 or 6b this year. They will not let us know.

They said the loss will decline by $800M this year and said at its most recent earnings call that the company was "on track" to that.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
They said the loss will decline by $800M this year and said at its most recent earnings call that the company was "on track" to that.

I think its fair they dont publish their mobile results forward on. No need to give that away for competitors.
Distributing fixed cost across the portfolio/secors and r&d is difficult - no matter the intentions. They can say they are on track - but we cant give weight to those words as it could be to eg distract compettitors. They need some numbers to back it up.
And imo single threadded performance that equals ct+ is not exactly that. Look at the perf again its crazy!
With Intels cost structure and brand - What are they doing in that red ocean segment?
What is the purpose?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
ASRock Beebox: fanless mini PC with Intel Braswell, USB type-C

17591053471_9363ee4ae9.jpg

ASRock plans to launch a small desktop computer with a low-power Intel Celeron N3000 dual-core processor and passive cooling (which means no noisy fans).

It’s called the ASRock Beebox, and according to Hungarian website iPon, it’ll probably be available in select markets starting in June or July.

The Beebox is about the same size as an Intel NUC mini-computer, measuring about 4.7″ x 4.3″ x 1.8″. But while most NUC systems feature fans to keep the processor from overheating, the Beebox uses a 4 watt Intel “Braswell” processor which doesn’t produce a lot of heat and features a case designed to dissipate heat without any fans. [...]

http://liliputing.com/2015/05/asrock-beebox-is-a-fanless-mini-pc-with-intel-braswell-usb-type-c.html
www.fanlesstech.com/2015/05/the-beebox-asrocks-fanless-nuc.html
http://ipon.hu/hir/usb_3.1_type_c_port_is_van_az_asrock_hangtalan_aprosagan/33555

Atom x7 Z8700 ''Cherry Trail'' Gaming Videos - Part 2

- League of Legends (@ 1080p)
- Tomb Raider (2013): 1, 2
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
- Grand Theft Auto V: 1, 2
- Dungeon Hunter 5
- Modern Combat 5
- Asphalt 8
- GTA San Andreas

- Counter Strike Go
- Civilization 5
- DiRT 3
- The Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006

Good stuff :)

It's pretty darn cool seeing a game such as CoD MW2 running on a lowly Atom.

Good move on Intel's part to focus on a big GPU jump with Cherry Trail.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Just bought a nas with bt celeron j1800 today for home usage. Qnap 251. Looking forward to get some more oomph than the usual arm a9 and try x86. Was going for the new synology series with dual core a15 but the qnap and atom gives opportunity to play with virtualization - hook up a screen and use mouse and keyboard. Had to buy 8gig extra ram to use for virtual machines. But the 2.4ghz bt atom just got enough cpu perf to make it usable i hope. For me the old atom was to slow in this use case and imo it shows where Intels lineup should start perf wise. Competing below is a hell. We are probably less than two years within a72 nas and they will effectively compete where any atom class cpu can be.

Qnap is one of the few big nas players that build their new midrange system on bt x86. Imo what synology does and eg netgear shows midrange nas is going arm way what would prior be atom land.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Perils of market segmentation and having a monopoly:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9219/the-surface-3-review/6

You can see from the difference that if Cherry Trail was merely on par with fastest mobile GPUs, it would also be on par with the Core Ms and U-class Core chips.

Because that would reduce sales to much more expensive Core lines, Intel obviously crippled it. Leads me more to think Intel settled with Nvidia on x86 license not just "because" but otherwise Intel would have had to reduce pricing on their cash cow chips significantly.

Right now the mobile graphics are on "Haswell U-class". This year starting with iPad 3 it should get at least "Broadwell U-class", if not Skylake U. All within a TDP that's competitive with Atoms.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Perils of market segmentation and having a monopoly:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9219/the-surface-3-review/6

You can see from the difference that if Cherry Trail was merely on par with fastest mobile GPUs, it would also be on par with the Core Ms and U-class Core chips.

Because that would reduce sales to much more expensive Core lines, Intel obviously crippled it. Leads me more to think Intel settled with Nvidia on x86 license not just "because" but otherwise Intel would have had to reduce pricing on their cash cow chips significantly.

Right now the mobile graphics are on "Haswell U-class". This year starting with iPad 3 it should get at least "Broadwell U-class", if not Skylake U. All within a TDP that's competitive with Atoms.

Intel venture into mobile is going to sink. And so is Atom (the small core concept - not the brand) in 5 years time.
No harm done. Intel is wasting ressources here competing with a cost structure that just doesnt fit market needs.
Atom is a fine product. But so what? So is apple a8 and arm a57.
Imo we will see more merging of tech. Atom will disappear and only bigger Intel cores will prevail.
What is the problem of reducing core line of sales? I cant see it. Prior to Atom Intel did fine. Just use different brands and features. There is really no alternative. Either you use the brand and perf to take the premium or ....what? Sell Atom at a loss?
This is not giving sales to amd. This is samsung apple and china taking the table if you dont react. Beat them or leave.
Dcg market is huge. Expand solutions here instead of all that low end consumer crap.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Mobile is the future. Intel really can't afford to let it go completely to ARM. They don't really have much of a choice.

What is the argument exactly? What future and where is the profit?

Mobile needs tons of server solutions. More than ever and its reflected in Intel dcg profit. Using 4b on mobile each year is money taken from developing b2b side and it opens Intel from atack if they dont have absolutely stellar product. Everyone wants the server and b2b profit and it needs to be protected. You do that by developing it. And it cost money.

There is zero meaning in selling atom cpu that is slower than older ct+ atoms. You cant even flood the market with it because its not wanted even if its free.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
krumme you forget that Intel buys marketshare currently. And they sit on 25% of the tablet market now and may end at 50% after this year.

That also means the R&D, marketing, support etc per chip is half after this year than it was in the start of this year. And the BOM keep going down. Volume is the key for everything.

Its working so great that Qualcomm stockholders are worried.

This is normal business practice and its done with all products in other segments too from anything from food to building materials.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
krumme you forget that Intel buys marketshare currently. And they sit on 25% of the tablet market now and may end at 50% after this year.

That also means the R&D, marketing, support etc per chip is half after this year than it was in the start of this year. And the BOM keep going down. Volume is the key for everything.

Its working so great that Qualcomm stockholders are worried.

This is normal business practice and its done with all products in other segments too from anything from food to building materials.

The BEST quarter I can find for Windows (Intel) tablets is 4%. A little less than the 25% you are claiming. And going to 50% in a year? Uh, it'll never happen. There's no compelling reason to go Intel on tablets. Especially with the price, and the single vendor lock in.

I know you love Intel. Heck, I like 'em too. Intel is what I buy for gaming rigs. But there's a difference between liking a product and rose colored glasses.

Tablets by OS per quarter.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The BEST quarter I can find for Windows (Intel) tablets is 4%. A little less than the 25% you are claiming. And going to 50% in a year? Uh, it'll never happen. There's no compelling reason to go Intel on tablets. Especially with the price, and the single vendor lock in.

I know you love Intel. Heck, I like 'em too. Intel is what I buy for gaming rigs. But there's a difference between liking a product and rose colored glasses.

Tablets by OS per quarter.

You forget the obvious part that Atom runs Android too. Intel shipped 46 million SoCs last year.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
You forget the obvious part that Atom runs Android too. Intel shipped 46 million SoCs last year.

And why would you think they all went into tablets? How many x86 Android tablets have you seen running around, let alone models for sale? There are a few, that are mostly sales flops. Chromebooks, NUC's and embedded systems took the lions share of those.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
And why would you think they all went into tablets? How many x86 Android tablets have you seen running around, let alone models for sale? There are a few, that are mostly sales flops. Chromebooks, NUC's and embedded systems took the lions share of those.

Yeaa and that brings me back to my nas story.

When synology is going to use some arm a15 core for their next midrange eg. Ds215+. what is the future market for atom then? I mean bt atom with virtual abilities is a really good product for that segment and when the leading smb/soho choses a far cheaper a15 its not good. Competing here is a mess. Next year its vs specialized a72.

Note here that the a15 in question is developed by an Israel company that was recently bought by amazon. Yes...scarring

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-03/synology-ds215-plus-ds715-plus-2-bay-nas/

Last edited: