The Intel Atom Thread

Page 149 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
No more USB2? finally.

the X5-Z8300 does not impress me very much, that is the reemplacement to Z3735D/Fs, and it has the same amount of max ram, a minor bandwidh increase, a 100mhz base freq boost, still SC(i can understand that), and the max gpu freq is a whole 100mhz below the next tier cpu, thats kinda a lot compared to the 20mhz of the Z3735F to Z3740.

I smell a HUGE igp perf difference in Z8300 to Z8500, 100mhz less and less than half the bandwidh.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
@sweepr - these are surface 2 specs. we need more than this. plus 399 should be with keyboard

Surface 2 started at $449 with 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, Windows RT (keyboard not included). I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but if they can do better than that, why not? :p

From WinBeta's Zac Bowden:

Got a few more Surface 3 tidbits, looks to be an ATOM Cherry Trail CPU. Likely to have an LTE / 4G option

https://twitter.com/ZacB_/status/581440017505083392

That's an important design win for Cherry Trail. Intel (and Microsoft) needs a properly designed product to show off the possibilities enabled by an efficient mobile x86 chip + full Windows. I hope OEMs like Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, etc follow this move by M$ with better tablets/convertibles.

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/31/microsoft-surface-3-design/

The Surface 3 is a 10.8-inch device with an Intel Atom x7 CPU and a starting price point of $499, which gets you a 64GB model with 2GB of RAM. However, the main feature of the tablet, and for good reason, may be that it supports x86 Windows 8.1 -- and, in the not-so-distant-future, Windows 10. But there's more to Surface 3 than this, both inside and out (it now charges via micro-USB, for one), and Microsoft's hoping that these changes are bold enough to erase the bittersweet memories left behind by the device's two predecessors -- Surface with Windows RT and Surface 2. Aside from that, the Surface 3 now boasts a display with a 3:2 aspect ratio and a 1,920 x 1,280 resolution, as opposed to the 16:9 found on previous models.

Glad to see the 3:2 ratio. Glad to see a surface quality device at a lower price point running full windows.

I wonder now if surface pro 4 will really have core M or a broadwell U. Maybe they can have a middle device with core m.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hmmm nice so these Surface tablets can run full desktop PC games natively smoothly? If that's the case than at $499,its a great deal. Although with only 2GB Ram, i don't understand how that's possible? Why not provide 4gb ram.If Surface tablets are supposed to be portable Windows machines, then specs need to be bumped up a bit more no?

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Although with only 2GB Ram, i don't understand how that's possible? Why not provide 4gb ram.If Surface tablets are supposed to be portable Windows machines, then specs need to be bumped up a bit more no?

Does 4GB RAM waste more battery/power than 2GB? I think it does, because more electricity has to flow through more 0s that are probably going to off most of the time. Maybe they're trying to get it to last 12 hours instead of 11 hours and 51 minutes. Hmmm :hmm:

Last edited:

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
Hmmm nice so these Surface tablets can run full desktop PC games natively smoothly? If that's the case than at $499,its a great deal. Although with only 2GB Ram, i don't understand how that's possible? Why not provide 4gb ram.If Surface tablets are supposed to be portable Windows machines, then specs need to be bumped up a bit more no?

there is a 128gb / 4gb ram version for 599.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Does 4GB RAM waste more battery/power than 2GB? I think it does, because more electricity has to flow through more 0s that are probably going to off most of the time. Maybe they're trying to get it to last 12 hours instead of 11 hours and 51 minutes. Hmmm :hmm:
Then how come smartphones with 3GB Ram can last for 2 days? (Sony Z3)So obviously RAM doesn't affect battery life much at all.
there is a 128gb / 4gb ram version for 599.
That's much better. Ability to natively run full desktop applications and games on the go is a good thing.Hope it outsells Android and iPad tablets which is never going to happen.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/31/microsoft-surface-3-design/

Glad to see the 3:2 ratio. Glad to see a surface quality device at a lower price point running full windows.

I wonder now if surface pro 4 will really have core M or a broadwell U. Maybe they can have a middle device with core m.

surface-3.jpg

They finally got it right. The regular Surface now feels like a ''light'' version of the Surface Pro instead of a gimped product.

It's also beautiful and I really like the 3:2 format. 1920x1280 should provide good enough pixel density without hurting battery and the overall experience.

Thank god they opted for the Atom X7, at least we're getting full 16 EUs iGPU in all models. I just wish they had gone 64GB, 4GB RAM, WiFi for $499 and 128GB, 4GB RAM, LTE for $599. Other than that, I hope this device sets a benchmark for other Cherry Trail tablets and 2-in-1s. There's market for both cheapo and better build products.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
The Surface 3 can finally do what Surface RT and Surface 2 couldn't do: run DOOM

The Surface RT did run Doom just fine. In fact you could just recompile most Win32 Apps for ARM (if the sources were available)

The regular Surface now feels like a ''light'' version of the Surface Pro instead of a gimped product.

Unfortunately with Cherrytrail it will be a mid range product performance wise. I would have preferred an high end ARM chipset by a long shot. Would also made have the product somewhat unique and not a me-too-device within a sea of Windows tablets.
Stupid decision by Microsoft, which will hit them back in the long run.

Last edited:

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
The Surface 3 can finally do what Surface RT and Surface 2 couldn't do: run DOOM :)
What about posting a video of you playing it with touchscreen only, I want to hear you curse the Surface 3 :biggrin:

I don't see how PC games can be played without proper controls (joysticks, pad, mouse). I bet that those that can be played with touchscreen, already have a port to or come from iOS/Android.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Unfortunately with Cherrytrail it will be a mid range product performance wise. I would have preferred an high end ARM chipset by a long shot. Would also made have the product somewhat unique and not a me-too-device within a sea of Windows tablets.
Stupid decision by Microsoft, which will hit them back in the long run.

Most people are praising Microsoft for ditching RT and offering x86 Windows. Better performance doesn't trumph being able to run all conventional x86 programs and new mobile-foccused apps in a single device - meant not only for data comsumption but also real productivity.

Honestly another ARM Surface would stand not chance next to the iPar Air 2 and Nexus 9, just like the Surface 1 and 2 before, Windows RT is a bust.

With 16 Gen 8 EUs iGPU the Surface 3 will be able to play hundreds of hardcore PC titles just fine (with lowered settings and resolution) - just plug in a X360 controller and you're good to go. A8X and K1 are very interesting from a technical POV, but their shiny GFXBench scores don't matter much if you're restricted to Android/iOS games.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Better CPU performance than 15W TDP AMD A4-5000, average power comsumption of 0.8-1.2W running CB11.5
These quads are both slow, ST performance is just as bad, Atom is still Atom after all, lol. My 90nm dual-core 10-year old Toledo can compete. Other than super-nice power numbers, meh. Just boring.

this_is_just_sad.png

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Most people are praising Microsoft for ditching RT and offering x86 Windows.

Does not make an argument.

Better performance doesn't trumph being able to run all conventional x86 programs and new mobile-foccused apps in a single device - meant not only for data comsumption but also real productivity.

It is not one or the other, but having the option. Now for Windows the option is lost. I for myself i do not need any legacy x86 programs on my tablet with possibly the exception beeing MS office. So an Atom Windows tablet only comes with disadvantages for me.
But as i said, it was the last option to choose an ARM device with Windows.
For real productivity i have more than enough options and for real productivity i have no use for an Atom device either.
So 1.5 years after the Surface 2 release they putting a "Baytrail+" in the Surface line? This must be a joke. Thats yesterdays technology while the mobile world is moving to A57/A72/A9x + nice GPUs.

Honestly another ARM Surface would stand not chance next to the iPar Air 2 and Nexus 9, just like the Surface 1 and 2 before, Windows RT is a bust.

The Surface RT/2 line sold just fine, disrespecting the mainstream press, which only quoted the "write down" as evidence. In fact both Surface RT tablets were the single most sold Windows 8 tablets, with distance. And for Microsoft they were the main drivers of marketplace downloads. So very far from beeing a bust.
Besides having full featured Windows running on ARM, more fluid than any Android device always was putting a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Does not make an argument.

It is not one or the other, but having the option. Now for Windows the option is lost. I for myself i do not need any legacy x86 programs on my tablet with possibly the exception beeing MS office. So an Atom Windows tablet only comes with disadvantages for me.

I for myself wouldn't think twice before picking up this new Surface 3 if I wanted an all around device for media and productivity. For the record, I'm on my third iPad by now but I recognize I would love to have a realiable device to carry around that could sometimes replace both the iPad with the popular mobile apps I use daily and the Ultrabook to do some real work when I need x86 compatibility and a physical keyboard.

So 1.5 years after the Surface 2 release they putting a "Baytrail+" in the Surface line? This must be a joke. Thats yesterdays technology while the mobile world is moving to A57/A72/A9x + nice GPUs.

If you look past Geekbench you will find out a slower 2.3GHz Moorefield is still competitive with some of the latest ARM SoCs CPU-wise. 2.4GHz Cherry Trail should be able to deliver even better performance via higher sustained clocks and slightly better IPC. Doesn't look like yesterday's technology to me, perhaps compared to Broadwell/Skylake but not ARM SoCs. I wouldn't mind better graphics performance (>60 FPS @ T-Rex would do wonders inside a Windows gaming device) but 2x Bay Trail is still a solid improvement.

www.anandtech.com/show/9034/the-dell-venue-8-7000-review/2

The Surface RT/2 line sold just fine, disrespecting the mainstream press, which only quoted the "write down" as evidence. In fact both Surface RT tablets were the single most sold Windows 8 tablets, with distance.

Perhaps tablets but if you include some of the most popular x86 2-in-1s like the ASUS T100 I wouldn't be so sure. It was the most sold Windows device for months @ Amazon. Surface 2 is a solid device but Surface 3 is probably going to be a lot more succesful.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

That's true. Intel and Microsoft gets free reign since basically no one else exists in the x86 world and its still in high demand.

Even Mooresfield is last generation performance. Business always trumps technology.