The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Tune came in today. It'll add 30hp and 60 ft-lb torque, while keeping the factory 3y/36k warranty. Little silly spending about 1k for fairly minimal gains. But word is shifting in sport is much better, and it disables the idiotic auto start "feature". I've already disabled it with forscan, along with seat belt ding, double honk when getting out of the vehicle with the key and it running, and other things.20230106_131125.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think it's BS you have to buy anything that's a software problem. It doesn't require more cost or sophistication than a cheap android phone. If they're worried about warranty, they can log out of spec tuning, and refuse warranty when checked at the shop. Leave it for the buyer to decide.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think it's BS you have to buy anything that's a software problem. It doesn't require more cost or sophistication than a cheap android phone. If they're worried about warranty, they can log out of spec tuning, and refuse warranty when checked at the shop. Leave it for the buyer to decide.

Pretty sure you can buy third party tune for any car. Just voids factory warranty. This does not.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What I'm saying is you shouldn't have to buy anything. It should be built into the infotainment system. You should be able to go into "BIOS", and change anything you want.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
What I'm saying is you shouldn't have to buy anything. It should be built into the infotainment system. You should be able to go into "BIOS", and change anything you want.

There are very few people capable of modifying engine control software in any way that makes sense, and even fewer who can do it and still play by emissions control and pollution rules. I’m all for open source but the end user should almost never be touching ECU software. Engineers at Ford spent thousands of hours with millions of dollars worth of specialized equipment making that software, seems fair to charge for it.

See: coal rolling for what happens when the average moron changes ignition timing and fueling tables

Reactions: igor_kavinski

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Ordered a 75” TV. On delivery I asked to unpack it. It looked good to me. Then the driver said it is damaged. He pointed out the back and front were separating along the top edge. Replacement being delivered on the 18th when new units come from the manufacturer.

Will take a REAL close look at it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ordered a 75” TV. On delivery I asked to unpack it. It looked good to me. Then the driver said it is damaged. He pointed out the back and front were separating along the top edge. Replacement being delivered on the 18th when new units come from the manufacturer.

Will take a REAL close look at it.
I decided to never order a TV for delivery after I had some bad luck. I thought it over and figure it's just unwise to have a TV delivered. So many times someone along the line is careless. The last 2 TVs I bought I got at Costco. I figure nobody handled them at all. They were boxed and on a pallet. I figure they left the factory on that pallet. I picked my 2 right off that pallet.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah a TV is something I rather buy local. We actually have a local electronics store here, which is a rarity these days, so I tend to try to give them business for these type of items.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ordered 6 pairs of Zenni glasses. 2 each of computer, distance and my special self-designed intermediate Rx (interpolation).

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
That is the problem, it's going to geyser and make a big mess.

i have the ridgid version that is variable speed and it's fantastic. nice and smooth delivery with the variable speed setting. saves some hand pain when you are doing all the joints in a driveway or sealing something with cold caulking.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
I prefer delivery just for the reason that happened to me. I have no responsibility for the TV until it is in my house and inspected.

If you pick it up it is your responsibility when you walk out of the store.

Plus I don’t think a 75” would fit in myFord Edge. :)

I decided to never order a TV for delivery after I had some bad luck. I thought it over and figure it's just unwise to have a TV delivered. So many times someone along the line is careless. The last 2 TVs I bought I got at Costco. I figure nobody handled them at all. They were boxed and on a pallet. I figure they left the factory on that pallet. I picked my 2 right off that pallet.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
I bought local. BestBuy off their website. Came from local store.

Yeah a TV is something I rather buy local. We actually have a local electronics store here, which is a rarity these days, so I tend to try to give them business for these type of items.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I prefer delivery just for the reason that happened to me. I have no responsibility for the TV until it is in my house and inspected.

If you pick it up it is your responsibility when you walk out of the store.

Plus I don’t think a 75” would fit in myFord Edge. :)
Yeah, mine were 43". I brought two home at the same time in my coupe's back seat. I prefer trusting myself to any delivery service. I can take my time, those guys are so often in a god awful hurry. A lot of them leave packages in plain view on my porch when 2 seconds more would have had them put them out of sight. Numbskulls.

Look... even if a TV looks fine and works fine after unboxing and setting up that's no guarantee its box wasn't tossed around. That may not cause an obvious problem but it is very definitely apt to contribute to its eventual demise. Connections are weakened, solder joints stressed. I want my electronics handled as little as possible when it's handed over to me.