The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jimbotronics

Jul 4, 2018
Ridiculous how many games there are on that list. I thought I really wasn't going to buy any games this sale, wrong again. Clicked the recommendations list to get the cards each day, and up popped a pinball game - haven't played one for over a decade, but found one where much of its content was about to be removed so got Star Trek TNG pinball for £3.99 (was only available until 30th June). Day after I looked at other pinball games and got about 40% of the tables in Pinball FX 3 - that should keep me going for ages, topped it up with another Lego game, and then today came across a list of recommended game $5 or less and picked up Life is Strange, and The Swapper.

Still haven't got round to Deux Ex Mankind Divided that I got in the winter sale (though saying that I've still got 2 batman games from 2013 that I haven't started yet, maybe get to them in 2020!).

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'd like to take this opportunity to say if you want something different, if you want something genuinely fun, go get Subnautica right now.

Its only 20% off but its a bargain at any price.
Enjoy building a wonderful seabase and exploring a decent sized ocean in a submarine, a power suit, and a sleek little mini sub.

I completely agree with this. Subnautica is the best game I've played in years.

I have only one complaint about the game. It can get a little slow in the middle. Forward progression just stops in the middle of the game and you are left to wander around aimlessly until you stumble upon the next objective. There is a clue on what you are supposed to be doing, but it is a drastic change from what you have been doing the first half of the game and you are not really given any indication of that. They really need to add something else pointing you to your next goal after you have explored all the lifepods.

Reactions: Craig234

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Put stuff in my Cart last week, almost missed checking out, just 1 hour left. :eek:

Snagged
Tropico 5
ATS DLC New Mexico
ETS DLC France

Not much of a haul, but I'll get a lot of time wasted from these.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I completely agree with this. Subnautica is the best game I've played in years.

I have only one complaint about the game. It can get a little slow in the middle. Forward progression just stops in the middle of the game and you are left to wander around aimlessly until you stumble upon the next objective. There is a clue on what you are supposed to be doing, but it is a drastic change from what you have been doing the first half of the game and you are not really given any indication of that. They really need to add something else pointing you to your next goal after you have explored all the lifepods.

Completely agree with this.

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
I just saw this link posted at slickdeals. I wish I knew about this site earlier in the sale. https://steamdb.info/sales/?max_price=10&min_discount=80&min_rating=60&displayOnly=Game

That steamdb.info site lets you see how mediocre these Steam sales have been lately (well it did when the sale was on). You were more likely to see games selling for more than their historic lows than you were to see ones selling for less.
Old games shouldn't increase in price. They're not wine.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I picked up Resident Evil Revelations. I hadn't planned on it and have never played any of those games, but I discovered it by accident. I thought it was a solid game.

I also wanted to get Tomb Raider Rise but I think it's still too expensive.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
That steamdb.info site lets you see how mediocre these Steam sales have been lately (well it did when the sale was on). You were more likely to see games selling for more than their historic lows than you were to see ones selling for less.
Old games shouldn't increase in price. They're not wine.

I thought the sale wasn't 'bad' with a lot of good deals, but there were disappointing cases, such as No Man's Sky at $29.99 when it's been close to $20. It's probably not realistic to expect each title to go on sale for a week+ for the lowest it's been on any daily sale. Sale prices aren't meant to become the new common price.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I bought a single DLC, which is pretty surprising for me. I think part of that is because I subscribed to 12 months of the Humble Bundle Monthly, and I already get so many games from that. I considered picking up the Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel game as I heard good things about it, but I ended up not doing so. That's sort of the awkward part of having the monthly bundle... you have no idea what you'll get, so sometimes buying a game ahead of when you'll actually play it may mean that you'll get the game in a bundle.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I bought a single DLC, which is pretty surprising for me. I think part of that is because I subscribed to 12 months of the Humble Bundle Monthly, and I already get so many games from that. I considered picking up the Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel game as I heard good things about it, but I ended up not doing so. That's sort of the awkward part of having the monthly bundle... you have no idea what you'll get, so sometimes buying a game ahead of when you'll actually play it may mean that you'll get the game in a bundle.

Happened a lot. Current bundle, I got a game I'd almost bought for $10 in the sale - it's a great deal. I do have a lot of extra keys now... yeesh. Probably hundreds.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Happened a lot. Current bundle, I got a game I'd almost bought for $10 in the sale - it's a great deal. I do have a lot of extra keys now... yeesh. Probably hundreds.

I looked a couple weeks ago, and I have something like 56 pages of keys, and when I filter on unused keys, the number of pages "dwindles" down to 20-something. :eek:

I take it you're probably talking about A Hat in Time? I thought about buying that game before, but now... well, there's no need to worry about that!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I take it you're probably talking about A Hat in Time?

Naw, the one we just got - Titan Quest Ragnarok DLC. I'd looked a little at 'serial cleaner' also but not that interested. The next month is maybe the weakest yet so far for me.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, the Humble Monthly thing is why I started giving away keys here. Anything I already have or know I won't use I give to someone here who might want it. But I am noticing that it is slowing down my steam purchases because I keep thinking if I buy something it will be in the next bundle.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I didn't pick up anything. I almost picked up Stephen's Sausage Roll, but I feel like it'll show up in a Humble Bundle the day after I do so. I'm also interested in Ori and the Blind Forest as well as Tabletop Simulator, but I've been waiting a while for either of those to hit $5 and they still haven't. They also both feel like games that could pop up in a Humble Bundle as soon as I buy them (though Ori isn't available in the Humble store, so perhaps a bit less likely there).

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I also had Trails of Cold Steel in my Humble cart since I get an extra 10% off for being a subscriber and I have $20 credit from subbing for a year, but I forgot to check out. Woops.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I also had Trails of Cold Steel in my Humble cart since I get an extra 10% off for being a subscriber and I have $20 credit from subbing for a year, but I forgot to check out. Woops.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a fan of that 10% off. What's really nice is that it isn't a one-or-the-other sort of thing when it comes to other discounts... or in far less words, it stacks. :p For example, right now, Darksiders III is available for 21% off through a pre-order sale and the 10% discount. Another good example is Shining Resonance Refrain, which comes out today, and is available for 21% off as well... at least for a few more hours.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
In the end the only thing I bought was South Park: the Fractured but Whole, and I've already finished it. I had purchased Divinity OS 2, but then discovered that I already had it, I had kickstarted it and got the GOG key instead of the Steam, so I refunded it. Then I was about to buy the Pillars of Eternity White March DLC, but Twitch Prime gave it to me for free.

So, I bought one game, immediately installed it and played it to completion. This is the first Steam sale where I finished all the games I bought before the next sale.

Reactions: OCNewbie
May 11, 2008
I bought :
Unreal tournament 3.
Fear 2.
Bioshock 2and bioshock 2 remastered.
Bioshock 2 remastered looks very good and is smooth as hell and cpu + gpu activity is at an all time low but the game has some crashing issues.
That is why bioshock 2 is part of the package. If the remastered version is unplayable, you can still play the original.
The evil within 2.

For now i have enough games to play.

May 11, 2008
UT3 is garbage.

Well, in all honesty the game does look dated. I expected spectacular graphics but it is ok.
And to be honest the custom servers with custom levels with hidden corridors and having fun sniping is what i liked when playing the old unreal tournament back in 2000.
I hope to find that again.