The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Any suggestions for good family friendly local co-op or Multiplayer games?

My daughter and I are playing through Castle Crashers. She's 6 and just introduced to videogames but she's so enthusiastic and we have so much fun that I want to think ahead a but while a sale is on.

Hell I'm even open to electronic board games if steam has any good ones available.

I have a couple wired 360 controllers if that makes a difference.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Any suggestions for good family friendly local co-op or Multiplayer games?

My daughter and I are playing through Castle Crashers. She's 6 and just introduced to videogames but she's so enthusiastic and we have so much fun that I want to think ahead a but while a sale is on.

Hell I'm even open to electronic board games if steam has any good ones available.

I have a couple wired 360 controllers if that makes a difference.
Can't go wrong with Overcooked if you haven't played it.

Reactions: CuriousMike

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Neverwinter Nights Enchanced sounds interesting - $17 or $46 with DLC (though $13 less 15% of that is soundtracks).

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm not typically into platformers or metroidvania-style games. Given that, I wasn't sure why I was buying Hollow Knight, other than it having stellar reviews and getting me up to my $30 total to use my $5 off coupon. Well... I've sunk 21 hours into it already in just a couple days (I'm on vacation). Safe to say I'm loving it. Super challenging, very satisfying gameplay, and interesting story, if not a little incoherent/hard to follow (at least to me anyway). Highly, highly recommended unless you hate, hate, hate, platforming games. And really, calling it a platformer really mischaracterizes it, or oversimplifies what it is anyway. It has a great sense of progression, fun exploration, and is super challenging/difficult. Also, seems to have quite a long play length, as I still seem to have quite a bit more game left at 21 hours in. Definitely worth checking it out if it's at all been on your radar.

PS - I very, very, very rarely use a controller on PC, but this kinda game I think almost demands one.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
An offer I'm not sure if it just ended this morning for the Humble Monthly includes Hollow Knight, Hearts of Iron IV, Blackwake and other games not announced for $12... (their referral code system is silly - it gives the referrer $8 but the person who uses it nothing).

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
An offer I'm not sure if it just ended this morning for the Humble Monthly includes Hollow Knight, Hearts of Iron IV, Blackwake and other games not announced for $12... (their referral code system is silly - it gives the referrer $8 but the person who uses it nothing).
That looks like Portal Knights, not Hollow Knight.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I picked up Slime Rancher, Command Modern Air/Naval Operations, and Rocket League.

I need to get back into that game with all the extra stuff they added as the slimes are so cute and breeding monster hybrids were fun times.

Finally got around to getting fallout 4 goty version for just $30 as I have been meaning to getting into it so I can see if it will hype me enough to ponder about 76.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Now is a good time to get into FO4 since there are plenty of really good mods out. I still haven't finished all the DLCs yet and I've sunk a solid 700 hours into the game.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Now is a good time to get into FO4 since there are plenty of really good mods out. I still haven't finished all the DLCs yet and I've sunk a solid 700 hours into the game.
Indeed as a lot of videos I watched about it awhile ago showed them off and I honestly like the building version in this game also unlike some people hated so this will be even better.

I am used to the mods with skyrim / nexus so it will be great again here and have a few selected but will have to look into them a bit more in a bit but nothing naughty... I swear. ;)

Just need to get ready for hoarder mode again just like skyrim.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
bah! against my better judgement, I picked up the Final Fantasy XIII games, all three of them. I read horrible things, they all looked horrible, I hate the direction the games went at 10 and after, but I did it anyway. I guess the 12 year-old in me is still attached to FF1-3 so much....and 7.

Anyhoo, this an awful game. just terrible. Well, for FF. but still, I'm enjoying at least, despite the agonizingly terrible story and characters that I want to punch in the face constantly.

but here's the real problem: game just stops. dead. I read all the horror stories about this port with terrible FPS and cutscene freezes, but I have none of that. After ~10 hours, I get to chapter 5, where it's just the useless child jerk and the main lady character. After every battle in this place (tree world), the game just stops when a battle ends. They put their weapons away, no music or end battle stats. It just freezes on whatever toon ended the battle and nothing. sits there forever. Disabled cloud saves and worked back from a non-corrupted save, assuming that was it, but no dice. The game just stops dead. I tried window mode and dropping the resolution. Nothing. Every battle, running through all enemy groups, seems to do this. No idea what is going on. This specific problem of game locking on end-of-battle doesn't seem to exist on the internet, and I'm not sure what it is a function of--failure to load the end battle card, memory issue somewhere? I don't know, it just suddenly started happening in this one map: the trees...whitewood somesomething.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Final Fantasy took a downturn in gaming quality starting with 8. They spent too much time on the FMV and music and stuff.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Final Fantasy took a downturn in gaming quality starting with 8. They spent too much time on the FMV and music and stuff.

Amen, brother. I absolutely hated 8. Well, I enjoyed it most of the way through because I was heavily invested in the Flavor-Aid at that time, still, but I finally realized that by disc 3, this game is just crap. I hate all of these characters, this story is meandering, senseless garbage, and battle system is only getting worse (I thought magic being channeled from enemies was clever, and tying into your stats, so, kudos for the idea--but in practice, it was just terrible. You never wanted to use magic! No, I am not going back into that stupid sub just to grind more Gravity 3 channels or whatever the crap, because my strength dropped 2 points when I cast it that last time...)

I like 10 OK, except that it was on rails and again, the characters were mostly terrible (well, just the main two. the others were alright. Auron was one of the best in the series, IMO) The story wasn't outright terrible, if not a bit silly, and the villain was awful. That isn't good. BUT--it is still the best battle system of the series. Loved it.

The weird thing about the music is that they really do not know how to edit it properly. None of it makes sense with any of the scenes. But then, these are now mostly japanese cartoons, and those were always the worst kind of nonsense content anyway, so it isn't too surprising. eh.

Anyhoo--I fixed my (current) problem with this crappy game--finally did the thing I should have done first, and checked game file integrity through steam. FML. Now onto more emo BS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Final Fantasy X/X-2 remastered is marked down to 15 bucks. Its not bad, you can skip most of the cutscenes.

Also, Evil Within 1 and 2 are marked way down. And they have demos.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Grabbed a couple of things this morning, including Steam Link because it was so darn cheap and I can use my controller with it.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I re-bought Might and Magic Heroes VII... no doubt it will be as broken and I'll hate it as much as the last time I bought it (and refunded it). I'm hoping having a new laptop means it'll work better but I don't have my hopes up.

Also bought the Age of Wonders 3 DLC, although I can't even remember playing the game... I probably gave it a few hours then quit as I tend to do.

At 70-75% off, I would highly recommend the King's Bounty game. They get less fun as the series progresses but still worth the under 5$ price. Also hearing rumors that there may be another one coming with a new art style.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I like the kings bounty games, trouble is they don't run gracefully on modern systems. (Some weird low resolution issues.)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I like the kings bounty games, trouble is they don't run gracefully on modern systems. (Some weird low resolution issues.)

Shame. I love all the Kings Bounty titles. Loads of fun. A good compromise since most of the recent HOMM games are not much fun.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Spintires: Mudrunner is only $2.99 if you already own Spintires otherwise it is $17.99.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd like to take this opportunity to say if you want something different, if you want something genuinely fun, go get Subnautica right now.

Its only 20% off but its a bargain at any price.
Enjoy building a wonderful seabase and exploring a decent sized ocean in a submarine, a power suit, and a sleek little mini sub.

Reactions: OCNewbie