The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Heads up all new alpha coming out for 7 days to die in a month or two. Game is stupid cheap right now.
Crafting survival game, I know The genre is getting tired but I still find it fun.
Much more fun with friends

Reactions: OCNewbie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Heads up all new alpha coming out for 7 days to die in a month or two.

Haven't they been saying that for a year now? It is a good game, but the Dev team is super slow with updates, and there are game breaking bugs that have been in it for years now.

Anyway, All I bought this Steam Sale so far is: Divinity OS 2, South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

I'm still considering picking up Everspace. It look like a wing commander type space shooter with random elements? Anyone give a recommendation on it? Is the DLC worth getting?

Feb 4, 2009
Haven't they been saying that for a year now? It is a good game, but the Dev team is super slow with updates, and there are game breaking bugs that have been in it for years now.

Anyway, All I bought this Steam Sale so far is: Divinity OS 2, South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

I'm still considering picking up Everspace. It look like a wing commander type space shooter with random elements? Anyone give a recommendation on it? Is the DLC worth getting?

Regarding 7 Days yes it’s been close to a year. I think the new alpha work began in October 2017. They did say there would be a long gap.
You do bring up a good point. The game is perfectly playable to me right now but it’s not complete. Updates do happen at a slow rate.
It is under $10 right now if I remember correctly.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Heads up all new alpha coming out for 7 days to die in a month or two.

I bought the game in early 2015 when it was in Alpha and they boasted to have the game in a playable beta by the end of the year for a 2017 full release. I don't get excited for these new releases because there's hardly anything of substance in them anymore.

Feb 4, 2009
I bought the game in early 2015 when it was in Alpha and they boasted to have the game in a playable beta by the end of the year for a 2017 full release. I don't get excited for these new releases because there's hardly anything of substance in them anymore.

It’s eight dollars...

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I can comment. It's sort of like that, but really it's a rogue-like... It's very similar to Rogue Legacy or Immortal Redneck if you've played those, where a given 'run' provides you with permanent upgrade capabilities for future runs ($ multiplier, weapon power, movement speed, etc). You then run missions based on relative power level iirc, but they're fairly simple. Kill stuff, blow up stuff, steal things, etc. It does have a rough plot though, so there's some meat to chew on. All-in-all fun if you enjoy rogue-likes and spacey shooters.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Not a good sale, Sniper Elite 4 season pass is too expensive for the little content you get. Wolfenstein 2 Colossus Deluxe is $40 I don't know if I should get it, how is the length of the game?

But I got Red Alert 3 bundle and Shadow Warrior 2, fun games

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It’s eight dollars...
And your point is? I guess I'm one of those people who prefer to use my money for games that are actually complete and not games that have spent the last three to four years in alpha with no end in sight.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I guess I'm one of those people who prefer to use my money for games that are actually complete and not games that have spent the last three to four years in alpha with no end in sight.
What does "complete" mean really though (to you)? If "complete" means that there will be no more added content, then Minecraft, six and a half years after the 1.0 release, is not complete. I can't imagine anyone thinking a game they really enjoy playing getting continual updates/additions is a bad thing. That'd be akin to thinking modders adding new content to games is a bad thing. Sometimes games get a "complete" stamp on them, but are clearly still riddled with bugs and a lack of features. No Man's Sky is probably a good example of that. I think "complete" tends to be a fairly insignificant label, especially so for sandbox games. For linear, story-driven games with a defined ending, I suppose that's not the case. 7 Days to Die isn't that type of game though.

PS - Can you name what you consider a "game breaking bug" that currently exists in 7 Days to Die?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What does "complete" mean really though (to you)?
You didn't ask me this, but the game breaking bug comment was mine, so I'll replay to it all.

To me 'complete' is the company being willing to stand behind their game and call it complete. Sure that does not always mean much, but early access is an excuse to sell the game but still be able to claim that it is not finished so don't expect much, while at the same time marketing it with expectations that might or might not ever happen. It is a marketing tactic. They get to sell their game on claims of things that don't exist, and in truth might never exist. It gets splashed on the front page of Steam.

If the devs keeps their claims reasonable, and uses early access as a way to beta test their game before release, that is fine. When the devs uses it as funding to develop a game for years, it is dishonest. There needs to be a new name for that.

PS - Can you name what you consider a "game breaking bug" that currently exists in 7 Days to Die?

Sometimes if you die your backpack will fall through the world.
Sometimes when you load the game the game forgets all your levels and equipment and you load into the game at level 0 with starter equipment.
Planting plants in some patterns can slow a server down so bad that it can become unplayable.

Feb 4, 2009
You didn't ask me this, but the game breaking bug comment was mine, so I'll replay to it all.

To me 'complete' is the company being willing to stand behind their game and call it complete. Sure that does not always mean much, but early access is an excuse to sell the game but still be able to claim that it is not finished so don't expect much, while at the same time marketing it with expectations that might or might not ever happen. It is a marketing tactic. They get to sell their game on claims of things that don't exist, and in truth might never exist. It gets splashed on the front page of Steam.

If the devs keeps their claims reasonable, and uses early access as a way to beta test their game before release, that is fine. When the devs uses it as funding to develop a game for years, it is dishonest. There needs to be a new name for that.

Sometimes if you die your backpack will fall through the world.
Sometimes when you load the game the game forgets all your levels and equipment and you load into the game at level 0 with starter equipment.
Planting plants in some patterns can slow a server down so bad that it can become unplayable.

The backpack thing still happens, the other two don’t. Not sure when they were fixed but they definitely don’t happen now.
*the level thing may happen in single player, I never play single player long enough to notice that*
My point is yes it’s an early access game and it’s priced more than appropriately for what you get out of it.
I’m fine with someone not liking early access, I’m fine with someone wanting a complete game and not wanting to deal with any problems. That’s all personal choices. I don’t like drama over something that costs about as much as a fast food lunch.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The backpack thing still happens, the other two don’t. Not sure when they were fixed but they definitely don’t happen now.
*the level thing may happen in single player, I never play single player long enough to notice that*
My point is yes it’s an early access game and it’s priced more than appropriately for what you get out of it.
I’m fine with someone not liking early access, I’m fine with someone wanting a complete game and not wanting to deal with any problems. That’s all personal choices. I don’t like drama over something that costs about as much as a fast food lunch.

I'm glad they fixed the plant issue. Farming had become a PITA. It had to have been in the last 2 months because when I had my private household server for my family running last and it had that problem, and that was about 2 months ago. Right now we have decided to wait for Alpha 17 to restart. The new vehicle system should be awesome for our 4 player game.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yea, I've mostly stopped bothering with early access titles. To me, EA means 'we haven't finished it like we intend to'. Missing content is not the same as patching or adding content beyond what was intended. This mostly applies to single player only games. This holds especially true for any game that has an end game. Unless I'm willing to play said game more than one time through to the end, it makes zero sense for me to play a game that is still in development. These 'companies' have zero accountability if they suddenly just decide to change said game completely or abandon it all together.

Sandbox games such as Minecraft don't fit that mold. Neither do multiplayer online only games. We're used to those changing constantly. Typically while it still can have some of the same negatives, they are less impactful if the game is functioning as expected.

That does bring up another complaint. I am REALLY sick of esports dictating the constant meta changes in online gaming. So much so I've basically stopped bothering with any game like that. Unless you're playing 100's of hours on end they change way too much to keep track of.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm glad they fixed the plant issue. Farming had become a PITA. It had to have been in the last 2 months because when I had my private household server for my family running last and it had that problem, and that was about 2 months ago. Right now we have decided to wait for Alpha 17 to restart. The new vehicle system should be awesome for our 4 player game.

You are a good resource, I am going to pm you a couple of questions about setting up a home server. I'm assuming you used the dedicated server files correct?
The one machine runs the game and others join isn't practical for more than 2 people.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Haven't picked up anything yet but I keeping checking on it every night. Anyone want to gift a copy of New Colossus? :D

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ended up getting Lumines Remastered. It isn't on sale, but I guess it still counts? :p It just released yesterday, and is a remaster of the original PSP game. There was a PC release of Lumines that came out about eight years ago, but since I own it, I can attest that it was pretty lackluster of a port. The new port has a little awkward button controls, but all in all, it's good so far. The most awkward part is probably when you try to exit, and the only option is to go back to the title screen, which just says "press any button". However, I think it's if you press B or back from that screen, it will ask if you want to quit.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And your point is? I guess I'm one of those people who prefer to use my money for games that are actually complete and not games that have spent the last three to four years in alpha with no end in sight.

I agree, i bought 7 days to die when they were advertising a 2017 full release, then when 2017 rolled around they stopped even trying updates became non-existent and im now pretty sure the game will never see the light of day. Another failed early access game. Its actually the main reason i stopped purchasing early access games.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Via humble bundles and such, I find myself owning dead rising 2 and 4 but not 1 and 3. Do those games have any meaningful overarching story that I need 1 and 3? I'm looking to prune my wishlist.

Also, is there any reason to have both Anno 2070 and Anno 2205 wishlisted?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
What does "complete" mean really though (to you)?
Oh come on, don't be that guy.

If "complete" means that there will be no more added content, then Minecraft, six and a half years after the 1.0 release, is not complete. I can't imagine anyone thinking a game they really enjoy playing getting continual updates/additions is a bad thing. That'd be akin to thinking modders adding new content to games is a bad thing. Sometimes games get a "complete" stamp on them, but are clearly still riddled with bugs and a lack of features. No Man's Sky is probably a good example of that. I think "complete" tends to be a fairly insignificant label, especially so for sandbox games. For linear, story-driven games with a defined ending, I suppose that's not the case. 7 Days to Die isn't that type of game though.
If you honestly believe that "complete" is insignificant, then you're exactly the target that early access developers look for because you're more than happy to pay AAA price for a fraction of a finished game. Just because it's fun doesn't mean the game is complete nor does it mean the developers aren't charlatans who will eventually pull a Chucklefish and just give you a somewhat stable beta build and call it a full 1.0 release.

As for the game breaking bugs, SMOGZINN did a really good job, but to add to that list:
You can still set the landscape in a certain way which will let you shoot under the ground under certain conditions - effectively removing the range cap and letting you spy on other players as well as kill them (assuming they are within sight).
During the last major update that was released a few months back, some friends and I did some testing and you can still make a 100% floating landmass which effectively keeps you safe from everyone but the late-night hackers.