• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question The FX 8350 revisited. Good time to talk about it because reasons.

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I fixed a couple, but I still have a 6(3?)00 here where the kid was having trouble so he decided to follow some Internet guides and that included reseating his CPU (which had been working fine for years) so he "does" that but when he put it back on, he did it with the lever down - not up - so the CPU was sitting mainly on top of the socket. He then proceeded to put the heatsink on and when he was tightening it down the HS just moved to the side so a tremendous amount of the pins squished down.

I was really optimistic I could make it work when he said bent pins. A couple hours and a few railed posts later I decided he was right and that new keychain dongle had been created instead ;)
Here we go, worst one I've attempted so far.
DSC03683.JPGDSC03682.JPG

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
I did find this:

RX5700
That is the video I posted in the OP :D

Only game in common looks to be BFV. Phil is MP, other vid is Campaign or Benchmark? Interestingly, MP is harder on the CPU, and the 3080 is obviously a faster card, but the avg fps look to be low 80's for both. Might be looking at the expected performance improvement using AMD, but it not being apples to apples benchmarks = ?

DAPUNISHER

Aug 22, 2001
I paired the 8350 with a 2070 Super and 2x8GB DDR3 1333 CL9, everything is stock - 4.2GHz boost, for starters. I have 2x4GB 1866 I will use later, the 1333 does 1600 simply changing it to the speed so that will be next. Using the wraith Prism for these stock tests. I have the same board as RA Tech - GA- 990FXA-UD3 with a HyperX fury SSD.

Fallout 4 1440p maxed out everything except motion blur, stays at the 60 capped most of the time, but then there are drops into the 40 and 30s once in a while. Adaptive sync keeps it smooth with the exception of a rare 1/4 sec hitch in the more stressful parts of the city.

Tomb Raider 2013 1440p maxed out including TressFX, adaptive sync on, stays locked at my monitor's 75Hz with a rare drop of a few frames, but you'd never know it without checking the frame counter due to Gsync compat.

Modern stuff is boring in the sense of - I know it is going to run everything great, and not have a problem with my TV or monitor's refresh rates. But old stuff is mysterious and interesting aka the box of chocolates.

• Love
Reactions: therealmongo

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I was expecting much worse from the description. If none of them break off, I think you got this. Real question is - whether or not it is worth your time? For fun and challenge, I vote yes. Otherwise back to the keychain idea.
I'm going to give it to a friend to upgrade his computer that he uses for desktop/business use. Probably will take 30m-1hr to get right. If it had broken pins I probably wouldn't even bother.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I paired the 8350 with a 2070 Super and 2x8GB DDR3 1333 CL9, everything is stock - 4.2GHz boost, for starters. I have 2x4GB 1866 I will use later, the 1333 does 1600 simply changing it to the speed so that will be next. Using the wraith Prism for these stock tests. I have the same board as RA Tech - GA- 990FXA-UD3 with a HyperX fury SSD.
How are the old motherboards holding up with the high power consumption/heat of the FX generation? I think AMD had to deal with the tdp issue with mb manufacturers for the first time when mb's were throttling.

DAPUNISHER

Aug 22, 2001
How are the old motherboards holding up with the high power consumption/heat of the FX generation? I think AMD had to deal with the tdp issue with mb manufacturers for the first time when mb's were throttling.
The board is a rev. 3.0 and is easily handling the stock 8350@4.2GHz boost. However, it does lack the heat pipe between the NB and VRMs that RA Tech's rev. 4.0 has. So as a precaution, I will actively cool everything when I get to overclocking.

The FX 6100 that was in it, did not run hot at all. I can see why reviewers like Phil and RA Tech like the 6 thread so much. It responds well to overclocking without burning down the house, and was sitting at a very sweet price point, for years.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
If anyone here has a spare FX processor - 6 or 8-core - with bent pins, I'd be happy to try fixing it.
If you aren't going to use it for more demanding gaming or heavy crunching I highly recommend looking for an AM3+ Opteron on ebay. I got an 3365 for under $40 and am very pleased. These are starting to become old retired server chips, and they are tuned to a TDP of 65W. The Opteron 3365 has a top non-boost frequency of 2300 MHz at which it only draws 0.975 V and matches top bin FX like 8300 and, I'd guess, consumes somewhat under 40W all cores under full load. At all core boost of 2600 MHz it's almost the same (in voltage or wattage) as what an 8350 would draw. At 3.3ghz boost it's overvolted like a lower bin 8320 would be. So they picked silicon that worked very well at the speeds where the system would get peak perf/watts.

ASK THE COMMUNITY