The Dolphins and Giants play in Wembley

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Are they still gonna sing The Star Spangled Banner before the game?

i think they're going to sing god bless america with alternative lyrics

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
Well, Footy doesn't involve blokes wearing ten tonnes of body armour, and it doesn't stop every three seconds for a commercial break, so yeah, I guess it is an absurd comparison ;)

Yeah, uh the football field isn't completely wrapped in advertisements either.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Jawo
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
AFL>NFL

lulwut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

Now Dug, Australian Rules Football is a pretty cool sport to watch (and I wish they would show more games here), but ATM its not better than good old American Football. Without a doubt I would say that ARF players are the most fit and physical players in any sport worldwide.

Footy fields are huge, and the distances players have to run in a game is staggering. Sure, they don't weigh 24 tonnes each, of which 10 tonnes of that is body armour, but in sheer fitness terms I highly doubt NFL players would be fitter than AFL players...

I could be wrong ;)

Oops :eek:

Some misread :eek:

:eek:

Yeah, but some of those 24 tonne linebakers can outrun you. Looks can be deceiving, especially when you have no idea on what you are talking about.

MrMajestyk

Apr 8, 2003
There is a small following for the NFL here in the UK. But it is tiny. Most people don't know the rules or understand it.

Channel 5 shows live Monday Night Football every week during the season. Sky have coverage via sattellite.

Bearing in mind they don't kick off until 0130 here, Channel 5 still deem it worthwhile. However they did show both Sunday and Monday live games last season. They have an American pundit, Mike Carlson, who's knowledge is encyclopaedic. He is by far the best expert/pudit of any sport I have seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Carlson

Things might be looking up though. The BBC have signed a deal to show the Superbowl in 2008/2009. I don't think the BBC have ever shown an NFL game, but do usually take a radio feed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h...n_football/7018632.stm

Dec 27, 2001
Yeah I can't wait until the penalty calls for "illegal motion" and "intentional grounding" start coming in and the crowd collectively yells, "Wha?"

But, anyway, I wish for these Intl games they'd pick better teams. The Dolphins are the worst team in the league and The Giants stand to run a lot of Brandon Jacobs and have a couple old receivers. We need some high flying passing attacks and Miami just traded away their only star receiver. Last time in Mexico City, it was the rebuilding Niners versus the perennial fops the Arizona Cardinals.

I'm sure it's because they're on the east coast but so is New England......although it may have been a little on the nose to send the Patriots over there. :)

Can we give LT to Miami for this game?

Maybe we should play the Pro Bowl in a different country every year. Those end up being high scoring games with fewer penalties called and more stars.

I'm just not sure Britain will swoon over Cleo Lemon and Plaxico Burress. Send Brady over there. He can knock up a couple dozen Londoners and maybe a Spice Girl or two and give the press something to talk about.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Alistar7
AFL>NFL

lulwut

Now Dug, Australian Rules Football is a pretty cool sport to watch (and I wish they would show more games here), but ATM its not better than good old American Football. Without a doubt I would say that ARF players are the most fit and physical players in any sport worldwide.

Footy fields are huge, and the distances players have to run in a game is staggering. Sure, they don't weigh 24 tonnes each, of which 10 tonnes of that is body armour, but in sheer fitness terms I highly doubt NFL players would be fitter than AFL players...

I could be wrong ;)

The pads they wear are pretty light, and the playing weight listed is actual body weight. If they did not wear the protective gear players would get killed or paralyzed with alarming frequency.

Rugby players have made it into the NFL, as punters lol. No comparision in size, strength, or speed to NFL players, but they might get them in endurance. NFL players are built for exceptional speed and power for a short period, over a small distance.

:thumbsup:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: foghorn67
AFL>NFL

lulwut

I could be wrong ;)

Yeah, but some of those 24 tonne linebakers can outrun you. Looks can be deceiving, especially when you have no idea on what you are talking about.

:confused:

You seem to be screaming hypocrite here, since you don't seem to have the slightest idea what an AFL game involves.

I (personally) rather doubt that vast NFL players could last four quarters of 20 mins of solid running over a huge field, but that's just me ;)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
AFL>NFL

lulwut

I could be wrong ;)

The pads they wear are pretty light, and the playing weight listed is actual body weight. If they did not wear the protective gear players would get killed or paralyzed with alarming frequency.

Rugby players have made it into the NFL, as punters lol. No comparision in size, strength, or speed to NFL players, but they might get them in endurance. NFL players are built for exceptional speed and power for a short period, over a small distance.

Rugby is not AFL. AFL is some weird Australian game that nobody else plays. As for rugby players playing in the NFL...who would that be and why would they be punters? I'm a huge rugby fan and I don't recall any big name rugby stars in the NFL. These rugby players that "made it in the NFL" are probably either washed up hacks or nobodies that never made it in pro rugby.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: rise
Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

He has absolutely floated that balloon... Wembly... Japan... Mexico City...

It's on his mind. And the owners are all about the money...
Wembly holds 100k+
This year's site... Arizona... 65k

The logic: The TV revenue stays the same no matter what so why not sell another 35k seats at $10k per seat? Sad but true.

Brace yourselves. It's quiet now but the rumble will grow.
i think the owners never will go for it, until there are international teams, because it is all about the money. the money generated in the SB hosting city is huge and all of these teams ask for, and usually receive, funds from their state to build new stadiums or improvements. the owners group will never allow that to be jepoardized.

why can't i spell jeapordized?

*cough* Where are the Giants and Dolphins playing this weekend? Never say never.

The money generated from a regular season game is nothing compared to the money that flows in for a Super Bowl.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
AFL>NFL

lulwut

I could be wrong ;)

Rugby is not AFL. AFL is some weird Australian game that nobody else plays. As for rugby players playing in the NFL...who would that be and why would they be punters? I'm a huge rugby fan and I don't recall any big name rugby stars in the NFL. These rugby players that "made it in the NFL" are probably either washed up hacks or nobodies that never made it in pro rugby.

I have no idea if this guy was any good or if he was considered old by the AFL (he was 32 when he signed with the NFL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Graham_%28football%29

Ben's just one example. There have been others and yeah all (or anyone in a starting position that I know of) have been punters.

And people should stop comparing AFL to NFL. Two completely different games going on here.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
So what time/channel are we going to be able to watch this game? Are the announcers going to be American or Englishmen?
I hope they are English. Otherwise the home folks would need a translator to understand it.

:evil:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

Wembly holds 100k+

The logic: The TV revenue stays the same no matter what so why not sell another 35k seats at $10k per seat? Sad but true.

i think the owners never will go for it, until there are international teams, because it is all about the money. the money generated in the SB hosting city is huge and all of these teams ask for, and usually receive, funds from their state to build new stadiums or improvements. the owners group will never allow that to be jepoardized.

*cough* Where are the Giants and Dolphins playing this weekend? Never say never.

local revenue is an entirely different issue. The super bowl generates so much cash for the host city outside of ticket sales. this will never happen.

The people buying tickets to the Wembley game are
1) expats
2) don't exist (corporate gifts and the like)

American football will never overtake the number one game in the world.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: oddyager
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
AFL>NFL

lulwut

I could be wrong ;)

I have no idea if this guy was any good or if he was considered old by the AFL (he was 32 when he signed with the NFL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Graham_%28football%29

Ben's just one example. There have been others and yeah all (or anyone in a starting position that I know of) have been punters.

And people should stop comparing AFL to NFL. Two completely different games going on here.

Like I said, AFL is not rugby. They're totally different sports!! It makes sense that AFL players would be punters as their entire game is based on kicking goals. Not so for rugby.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
he said that??

Wembly holds 100k+

try again.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
We realized there was another part of our culture we could forcibly export to the rest of the world.

Enjoy!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
what do you want to talk about, how's the weather over there?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
We're trying to take over the world by subjecting you to our tastes. Nascar is coming soon to an oval track near you.