The Dolphins and Giants play in Wembley

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp
There is enough interest... Mind you alot of the ticket requests came from people who just want to see the new Wembley stadium (which is incredible btw) and figured they would use an American football game as a way to get tickets because not many people would be lining up for that (or so they thought)

They're mostly going to see the new stadium. There is zero buzz or news about the game.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
Originally posted by: dug777
AFL>NFL

lulwut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

no, i know what it is...i was just trying to comprehend the absurdity of the statement. ;)

Well, Footy doesn't involve blokes wearing ten tonnes of body armour, and it doesn't stop every three seconds for a commercial break, so yeah, I guess it is an absurd comparison ;)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Jawo
AFL>NFL

lulwut

Now Dug, Australian Rules Football is a pretty cool sport to watch (and I wish they would show more games here), but ATM its not better than good old American Football. Without a doubt I would say that ARF players are the most fit and physical players in any sport worldwide.

Footy fields are huge, and the distances players have to run in a game is staggering. Sure, they don't weigh 24 tonnes each, of which 10 tonnes of that is body armour, but in sheer fitness terms I highly doubt NFL players would be fitter than AFL players...

I could be wrong ;)

Oops :eek:

Some misread :eek:

:eek:

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
blah. I'd rather the game was here in Miami, 'cause then I would've been able to see the Giants play.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Tremulant
blah. I'd rather the game was here in Miami, 'cause then I would've been able to see the Giants play.

Plus you could have any seat in the house once all the other fans start packing it up at halftime ;)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You left off the poll option "I'm from N America, and I think its bad".

There are two major problems with regular season games overseas:
1) The "home" team loses a valuable home game. That's not fair to them, they now only have 7 home games in the season
2) The season ticket holders of that "home" team are also missing out on a game

Preseason games? Fine, no one cares anyway. Starting a league over there? Fine, but field it with players that aren't NFL outcasts - maybe actually develop LOCAL players, which is the only way to develop true interest in the sport anyway.

The biggest problem with this is the article I read about a possible Superbowl in London....if they held the Superbowl in London, when 99.9% of people there don't care, and millions of people here made the NFL a success, it would be a huge slap in the face to all of us that made the NFL what it is.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: rise
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

On the contrary, they are very much in favor of playing the Super Bowl overseas.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko

The biggest problem with this is the article I read about a possible Superbowl in London....if they held the Superbowl in London, when 99.9% of people there don't care, and millions of people here made the NFL a success, it would be a huge slap in the face to all of us that made the NFL what it is.

The international expansion of the NFL is the ONLY reason I'm interested in the NFL next week.

Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Deeko
You left off the poll option "I'm from N America, and I think its bad".

There are two major problems with regular season games overseas:
1) The "home" team loses a valuable home game. That's not fair to them, they now only have 7 home games in the season
2) The season ticket holders of that "home" team are also missing out on a game

Preseason games? Fine, no one cares anyway. Starting a league over there? Fine, but field it with players that aren't NFL outcasts - maybe actually develop LOCAL players, which is the only way to develop true interest in the sport anyway.

1) I'm sure the Dolphins are compensated somewhere for their "home" away from home. Regardless, the damage is minimized since the Dolphins have no chance of winning either at home or away.

2) Miami season ticket holders paid for seven home games.

There won't be a Super Bowl overseas until other countries have their own teams playing in regular league play with the existing teams. The NFL says 2020 at the earliest.

I'd love to see other countries take part in "American" sports. Baseball and basketball are very popular. Like soccer, they are only as complicated and expensive as you'd care to make it. John Cleese said it best: "When we hold a World Championship, we invite other countries to participate." That may be about a decade away.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You can disagree, but your poll is not legitimate without that option. Your poll acts as if every american either loves the idea, or doesn't watch football.

1) The dolphins aren't "compensated", not this year anyway. The plan is that its a different team every year, so in the LONG run it evens out. But that doesn't change the fact that in 2007, Miami is screwed out of a home game, which hurts you as a team. There's a reason Vegas automatically gives 3 points to the visitors.
2) I didn't say they were missing financially, they're missing as FANS. If you're a season ticket holder, its because you want to be at every game - not 7 games.

I have no problems with the NFL expanding internationally - starting teams in other countries, raising interest in American football internationally - that's all good, but playing NFL regular season (or post season) games internationally is a terrible idea.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
So what time/channel are we going to be able to watch this game? Are the announcers going to be American or Englishmen?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I believe 1:00pm on fox...we'll probably get American announcers here, but I'm just assuming.

Mar 10, 2005
"Your poll acts as if every american either loves the idea, or doesn't watch football."

That was deliberate. I have conceded to your wishes.

I think regular season games abroad are necessary to grow the game. It's obvious that preseason NFL and practice squad castaways are not going to attract the desired attention. They simply fail to win over savvy sports fans with second-rate play. btw, both the Dolphins and Giants volunteered to play in London, just as Kansas City and New England volunteered to play in Beijing. If their fans feel screwed, they should take it up with the respective owners. I think the majority of fans are happy to see their teams featured in showcase events.

correction: Seattle and New England were to play in Beijing. Kansas City still offers to play games abroad, which is consistant with the team's progressive history.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
NFL Europe clubs have failed, with the exception of Amsterdam and 5 German teams, which seem to be doing well.

Actually, they're not doing well, considering they no longer exist. NFL Europe (rebranded NFL Europa) ceased operations on June 29, 2007: link

Mar 10, 2005
Last I heard, the Germans were very enthusiastic about the game. This leads me to believe the closing of the league really is part of changing direction and marketing the real thing, as opposed to stopping the financial bleeding.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
AFL>NFL

lulwut

no, i know what it is...i was just trying to comprehend the absurdity of the statement. ;)

Well, Footy doesn't involve blokes wearing ten tonnes of body armour, and it doesn't stop every three seconds for a commercial break, so yeah, I guess it is an absurd comparison ;)

I've always thought that the ridiculous amount of TV breaks during a (American) football game would be a big deterrent to international interest. I don't really care about soccer, but I always enjoy watching the World Cup final on TV mostly because the clock never stops so the station doesn't have time to show you 5 million commercials.

AFAIK football is the only sport that actively allows TV stations to call timeout on the field when they need to show more commercials, and it's freakin' ridiculous! Games end up taking probably 30 to as much as 60 minutes longer than they should and TV timeouts are HUGE momentum killers since everyone in the stadium is just standing around waiting.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I can see how it makes sense from a business perspective, but I think all season and playoff games should be played here in the US (this coming from someone who grew up in Europe).

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Last I heard, the Germans were very enthusiastic about the game. This leads me to believe the closing of the league really is part of changing direction and marketing the real thing, as opposed to stopping the financial bleeding.

I'm sure those who attend are enthusiastic... but an average of only 14K-15K attend the Cologne and Berlin games last year, up to a maximum of 33K attending the Frankfurt games (link). Perhaps putting the "highest quality" players on the field may improve those attendance figures... but perhaps not.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Jawo
AFL>NFL

lulwut

Now Dug, Australian Rules Football is a pretty cool sport to watch (and I wish they would show more games here), but ATM its not better than good old American Football. Without a doubt I would say that ARF players are the most fit and physical players in any sport worldwide.

Footy fields are huge, and the distances players have to run in a game is staggering. Sure, they don't weigh 24 tonnes each, of which 10 tonnes of that is body armour, but in sheer fitness terms I highly doubt NFL players would be fitter than AFL players...

I could be wrong ;)

Oops :eek:

Some misread :eek:

:eek:

The pads they wear are pretty light, and the playing weight listed is actual body weight. If they did not wear the protective gear players would get killed or paralyzed with alarming frequency.

Rugby players have made it into the NFL, as punters lol. No comparision in size, strength, or speed to NFL players, but they might get them in endurance. NFL players are built for exceptional speed and power for a short period, over a small distance.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
It's obvious that preseason NFL and practice squad castaways are not going to attract the desired attention.

then why are the dolphins playing?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: rise
Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

He has absolutely floated that balloon... Wembly... Japan... Mexico City...

It's on his mind. And the owners are all about the money...
Wembly holds 100k+
This year's site... Arizona... 65k

The logic: The TV revenue stays the same no matter what so why not sell another 35k seats at $10k per seat? Sad but true.

Brace yourselves. It's quiet now but the rumble will grow.

I would think that would piss off a whole lot of American football fans.
I know it would be the end of football for me.