The Dolphins and Giants play in Wembley

Mar 10, 2005
I have no idea how many AT people may be from the UK, but here goes:

The Miami Dolphins and New York Giants are playing in Wembley Stadium, London next Sunday. For scoring purposes, this is considered a home game for Miami. There have been several exhibition games in Mexico City, Tokyo, Berlin, Monteal, Dublin and Wembley 20 years ago. This will be the second regular season game outside of the US, the first being Mexico City in 2005. NFL Europe clubs have failed, with the exception of Amsterdam and 5 German teams, which seem to be doing well.

Is there a genuine interest in American football? Or, have all 100,000 UK fans puchased their tickets and that's that? Are the spectators expected to be from the UK, or are the Gemans invading? Will Jeremy Clarkson be attending? I'd like to see him in a luxury box, twitching and vomiting during the Star Spangled Banner, and I'm one of his fans.

I have little doubt the game is more interesting as a regular season (points scoring, if you'd like) contest. Do you think there is interest in baseball, or would that be an affront to your baffling cricket?

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
My friend in NY told me it was happening. I had no idea as I haven't read, seen or heard it mentioned anywhere.

In other words, 99.9% of the country don't care.

Jun 27, 2005
WTF are they playing a regular season game in europe? You give up a home game to fly half way around the world to play a game? Jesus...

Good thing it doesn't matter this time. (The Dolphins are playing) Imagine if they had scheduled a real game.

Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Somebody needs to put a muzzle on Goddell... He's already thinking about holding the Super Bowl over there...

WTF :confused:

I presume they normally play in the late afternoon/early evening so it'll screw up the timing for a start. Plus as mentioned previously, the UK has no interest in it, like the US doesn't care about rugby.

I vote they move the Superbowl to Canada and it's one team versus a bunch of grizzlies. I'd pay to watch that.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I saw the picture of Christian whatshisname in front of the big statue on the BBC news website yesterday, and that was the first I knew about a game being played at Wembley.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

WTF :confused:

I presume they normally play in the late afternoon/early evening so it'll screw up the timing for a start. Plus as mentioned previously, the UK has no interest in it, like the US doesn't care about rugby.

I vote they move the Superbowl to Canada and it's one team versus a bunch of grizzlies. I'd pay to watch that.

I like the way you think... But that game would have to be between the two teams with the worst records... y'know... to keep them from sandbagging for the first pick in the draft.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: rise
he said that??

i can't imagine the owners allowing the SB to be played outside the US, at least in my lifetime.

He has absolutely floated that balloon... Wembly... Japan... Mexico City...

It's on his mind. And the owners are all about the money...
Wembly holds 100k+
This year's site... Arizona... 65k

The logic: The TV revenue stays the same no matter what so why not sell another 35k seats at $10k per seat? Sad but true.

Brace yourselves. It's quiet now but the rumble will grow.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
he said that??

Wembly holds 100k+

The logic: The TV revenue stays the same no matter what so why not sell another 35k seats at $10k per seat? Sad but true.

i think the owners never will go for it, until there are international teams, because it is all about the money. the money generated in the SB hosting city is huge and all of these teams ask for, and usually receive, funds from their state to build new stadiums or improvements. the owners group will never allow that to be jepoardized.

why can't i spell jeapordized?

Jun 27, 2005
he said that??

Wembly holds 100k+

i think the owners never will go for it, until there are international teams, because it is all about the money. the money generated in the SB hosting city is huge and all of these teams ask for, and usually receive, funds from their state to build new stadiums or improvements. the owners group will never allow that to be jepoardized.

why can't i spell jeapordized?

*cough* Where are the Giants and Dolphins playing this weekend? Never say never.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Waterloo Tube station is plastered on the inside with a full vinyl wrap promoting it. I still don't give a crap.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Waterloo Tube station is plastered on the inside with a full vinyl wrap promoting it. I still don't give a crap.
:)

i haven't heard "tube station" since the jam song.

i don't get out much though :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
There is enough interest... Mind you alot of the ticket requests came from people who just want to see the new Wembley stadium (which is incredible btw) and figured they would use an American football game as a way to get tickets because not many people would be lining up for that (or so they thought)

AFAIK channel 5 still broadcasts a weekly NFL game on Sunday night, and all of the playoff games are still broadcast live... I just could never stand the in-break announcers they used...

I travel to London quite often, and the house I stay at is a five minute walk from Wembley... Wish I was there for this... I could have worn my Cowboys jersey to a Giants game and not get popcorn/beer/etc thrown at me like I would at the Meadowlands!!

Apr 17, 2005
the nba will be the first league to expand to worldwide. i dont think the rest of the world cares for our football but basketball is already huge in europe, parts of south america, and china.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: dug777
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
Originally posted by: dug777
AFL>NFL

lulwut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

Now Dug, Australian Rules Football is a pretty cool sport to watch (and I wish they would show more games here), but ATM its not better than good old American Football. Without a doubt I would say that ARF players are the most fit and physical players in any sport worldwide.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
he said that??

Wembly holds 100k+

I would think that would piss off a whole lot of American football fans.