The BESTBUY "Perfect Sale"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Oh and we have this 350 dollar laptop. We have 20 in stock. Down to ...3-6? Somewhere around that.

People love it.

75% of people buy the Accidental Protection plan.

..Also I don't appreciate people like Prince of Wands

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: wetcat007
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I've taken a new route when dealing with salespeople:

Salesperson: Can I interest you in...
Me: No, and if you ask me again I will hit you so hard your great-grandkids will be born with a black eye. Are we clear?

So far I've had very good luck at getting them to leave me alone.

I'd love to get a customer like you.

:cool: I say it very politely. Just don't want there to be the feeling that they're going to sell to me. I decide what I need, then I go somewhere and buy it. If I need help I'll directly ask for it. Otherwise do not speak to me.

Best case scenario, you'd still be trespassed and removed from the store.

Problem with that is you might still get asked in hope that you will strike the person, so they can sue you.

"I warned him and he continued to violate my privacy and space. The employee put his hand in his pocket and looked to be going for a weapon. I feared for my personal safety and reacted accordingly" ;)

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Me: No, and if you ask me again I will hit you so hard your great-grandkids will be born with a black eye. Are we clear?

:cool: I say it very politely. Just don't want there to be the feeling that they're going to sell to me. I decide what I need, then I go somewhere and buy it. If I need help I'll directly ask for it. Otherwise do not speak to me.

Problem with that is you might still get asked in hope that you will strike the person, so they can sue you.

"I warned him and he continued to violate my privacy and space. The employee put his hand in his pocket and looked to be going for a weapon. I feared for my personal safety and reacted accordingly" ;)

Now if only there weren't those meddling video cameras ;)

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

I've worked in a few food service joints. If people attack we detain.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: TruePaige

You would not be detaining me anywhere, for anything (attacking or anything else). My CCW does not take kindly to kidnapping.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

You would not be detaining me anywhere, for anything (attacking or anything else). My CCW does not take kindly to kidnapping.

If you attack someone it's not kidnapping. It means you committed assault. I'm sure pulling a gun would make it better.

That answer is so..crazy though I'll assume it's sarcastic.

I don't know why you guys WANT to be asses to people that work in retail. Some of it either A) Pays Decent enough to cover the bills or B) is the only thing open at the moment or C) is Relevant experience in your field.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006

If you attack someone it's not kidnapping. It means you committed assault. I'm sure pulling a gun would make it better.

I don't know why you guys WANT to be asses to people that work in retail. Some of it either A) Pays Decent enough to cover the bills or B) is the only thing open at the moment or C) is Relevant experience in your field.

It was sort of sarcastic, but if you did try to tell me I could not go anywhere, you would have a serious problem. Me > you.

But like if best buy tried to say I could not leave because I did not show a reciept - they are not going to be sucessful and the CCW WILL come into play in that situation if it has to. CCW may not be allowed in some of those stores, but that is the beauty of it - it is concealed and they have no idea and absolutely zero chance of preventing it.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

It was sort of sarcastic, but if you did try to tell me I could not go anywhere, you would have a serious problem. Me > you.

But like if best buy tried to say I could not leave because I did not show a reciept - they are not going to be sucessful and the CCW WILL come into play in that situation if it has to. CCW may not be allowed in some of those stores, but that is the beauty of it - it is concealed and they have no idea and absolutely zero chance of preventing it.

Just re-read what I said and step back for a second. =p

I said if you ASSAULTED an employee. I'm talking PHYSICAL ASSAULT for trying to sell you a PSP or something, then security would hold you until the cops get there.

If you pull a gun on someone after beating them, I guarantee you'd have a very-very-jail filled future.

Mar 15, 2003
Reminds me of the time I went to sears to help my parents pick a vacuum cleans. There budget was $200 and avery highly rated (better than the Dysons) Kenmore vacuum cleaner was available as a store model for $150, that's about $100 off of the regular price. The salesperson told us that all open box merchandise was sold as is and told us that we couldn't return it, even if it was broken. She then said that we basically have to get the extended warranty, as it would be a gamble otherwise. I was pissed off, because I knew that wasn't true (sears accepts returns of open box products) I walked up to the manager and told him what just happened and requested that he explains the store's return policy to her...The salesperson wasn't very happy after that.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Exterous
Originally posted by: Judgement

Shens on OP. Who gives physical threats because someone offered you an extended warranty? It may be annoying but what you said is beyond excessive.

Anytime I've been asked about a warranty at best buy I've always said no thank you and it has always ended there. I guess YMMV.

edit: typed my post while you were defending your original post

It's rare, but it has happened. Not just warranty stuff, all sales pitches.

Phone rings: "Hi, this is blah from blah, will you give me money for blah"
me: if you call me again I'll murder your children and force you to eat their reproductive organs
Result: no more calls

salesperson: we've got great deals on blah
me: if I'd wanted blah I'd have blah in my hand; if I needed your help I'd hire you as an assistant and then you'd have a real job...but you don't, so just ring up what I want and let me get on about my business
Result: no more badgering

I just skip all the middle bs that companies force employees to do. I save time, I make things functions quickly and efficiently, and I retain power to the buyer/customer/individual. I really don't see the problem.

Heh - I would go out of my way to make you experience less than stellar. Checkout technical problems up the wazoo - or maybe the system says we have it but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe thats why I don't have a real job.

If you told me you were never shopping there agian I would say "Good - do you know where our competition is located? I can give you directions." Wouldn't be the first time - won't be the last

im sure your higher up's like you sending customers off to their rivals, even if they are twats... good job. you'll be at the CEO level in no time.

Jun 14, 2003
as long as i dont feel like im being badgered or harrassed ill usually play along, but if they are incessantly pushing something on me that i just dont want ill have a few stern words.

still the only service plan i have ever bought is apple care becuase it was soooo cheap with the HE discount. heavily discounted doesnt even come close to describing how cheap it was.

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Customer: Yes, my daughter is reasonably attractive, and she's going to college. There will be plenty of geeky guys there willing to fix her computer for free if she just says "hello" to them. I don't need your service plan.

*1* If that fails, bring either a Taser or Mace. It's up to you if you prefer the pepper spray or the Medieval weaponry. Either is effective at dispatching annoying sales reps.

So which one is the Taser?

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: loup garou
Jeez, I didn't think the PSP was selling THAT bad...I wonder what they have to do to sell you a PS3?!

:p

Picture the scene from A Clockwork Orange where they hold his eyes open...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
Originally posted by: Judgement

Shens on OP. Who gives physical threats because someone offered you an extended warranty? It may be annoying but what you said is beyond excessive.

Anytime I've been asked about a warranty at best buy I've always said no thank you and it has always ended there. I guess YMMV.

edit: typed my post while you were defending your original post

It's rare, but it has happened. Not just warranty stuff, all sales pitches.

Phone rings: "Hi, this is blah from blah, will you give me money for blah"
me: if you call me again I'll murder your children and force you to eat their reproductive organs
Result: no more calls

salesperson: we've got great deals on blah
me: if I'd wanted blah I'd have blah in my hand; if I needed your help I'd hire you as an assistant and then you'd have a real job...but you don't, so just ring up what I want and let me get on about my business
Result: no more badgering

I just skip all the middle bs that companies force employees to do. I save time, I make things functions quickly and efficiently, and I retain power to the buyer/customer/individual. I really don't see the problem.

Heh - I would go out of my way to make you experience less than stellar. Checkout technical problems up the wazoo - or maybe the system says we have it but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe thats why I don't have a real job.

If you told me you were never shopping there agian I would say "Good - do you know where our competition is located? I can give you directions." Wouldn't be the first time - won't be the last

im sure your higher up's like you sending customers off to their rivals, even if they are twats... good job. you'll be at the CEO level in no time.

Its good that you pretend to know what my higher ups are like having never met them. I actually got that habit from the current District manager. Our store is currently #1 in the company for total % sales/customers and has been for some time. We are not too worried about sending a few asshats to the competition. Besides - they do the same thing to us. When someone actually takes us up on the offer we call and warn them and vise versa

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Guys, does this thread really need to be about the passive-aggressive tendencies of PrinceofWands? ;)

By posting this comment regarding PrinceOfWands, you're committing theft of his time and disruption of his tranquility, things he values far more than bodily comfort.

:cool:

May 16, 2000

I totally disagree. Trying to handle me is stealing my time and causing me pain. You don't have the right to do that. Ever. My going into a store doesn't transfer those rights to someone else, I retain them.

Obviously if anyone ever told me to leave because of it I would. That's not a problem. Thing is, it's never happened. In my opinion most employees don't want to be bastards about this stuff, but they need the money. They usually seem thankful that they've got a way out of the corporate bs. Most employees I've ever been around would LOVE for every customer to just come in and buy their stuff and never ever have to say one word to them. People like me are a relief to them, not a problem.

:laugh: It's your right to not be solicited by an employee on a company's own property :laugh:

Oh that's a good one.

And it's funny that you're calling employees bastards because of they way they react when you just threatened them, real rich. It's bad enough an employee has to deal with a person that doesn't know their ass from their head, but now they have to deal with some whacko off the street that's threatening them.

And sure, not talking to an employee is a good way to avoid the bs. It's also a great way to get fired when you don't meet plans for PSPs and Credit Cards.

Again, they're operating within their rights when they solicit you on their property. If you don't like it, you can get out.

I don't care about plans, and neither should anyone else. People should care about what's right, not what's profitable. If someone wants to fire me because I won't be a bad person (push credit and unwanted merchandise) then I'm better off for it. Period.

I only go onto someone elses property to receive a good or service. That is the only good or service I go there for. If there was any other way to obtain that good or service without having to deal with a company, I would. I can't call gorilla and buy a single bottle of glue. They only deal with companies who sell it for them. Ok fine, if they want to make that arrangement then I have no choice. By removing that choice from me the company has effectively invited me to deal with them in exactly the same manner as I would have dealt with the supplier - ie, just give me what I want and leave me alone. I will do anything necessary to see that it happens in that manner.

But herin lies a problem. May people DO consider warranties a good thing. Right or wrong they do - they actually want the plan. More people want the sales item or warranty then don't want, so to them it is what is right.

As for what is right vs profitable - the two are not mutually exclusive and should not be treated as such. Where the line exists, I believe, is a topic for another thread

I totally agree, and I don't have a problem with a short, simple offer to make people aware that it exists. I do have a problem when it's a sales pitch instead of an informational statement, and when my very first answer isn't accepted as absolute. That's all this is about.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
why i don't shop there. i've seen employees trying to sell old women $50 gaming mice:p

May 16, 2000

I only go onto someone elses property to receive a good or service. That is the only good or service I go there for. If there was any other way to obtain that good or service without having to deal with a company, I would. I can't call gorilla and buy a single bottle of glue. They only deal with companies who sell it for them. Ok fine, if they want to make that arrangement then I have no choice. By removing that choice from me the company has effectively invited me to deal with them in exactly the same manner as I would have dealt with the supplier - ie, just give me what I want and leave me alone. I will do anything necessary to see that it happens in that manner.

Actually, no. There are plenty of other places where you can order a bottle of Gorilla Glue without ever interacting with an employee. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-...es-50004/dp/B0001GAYRC

You are not entitled to shop at a store. You are given the priviledge. By choosing to have the convenience of getting your merchandise when you need it, you also choose to abide by the lawful rules that the store sets forth.

I don't shop at Kohls anymore because of the credit card hounding. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: Holy crap I keep on switching around employee and customer. I gotta stop posting and playing Civ 4 at the same time.

I get your point, but unfortunately it's far more complex than that - I was being simplistic for brevity. You are correct that at the very bottom line it's just up to me to choose someone I can deal with the best I can. I have done that. When I go into a store I make it clear that; A) I'm in control, and B) my first response is the only one I'm going to give and failure to accept it as such will result in consequences. IF anyone ever has a problem with that they can tell me to leave. I'm 35 years old, so far no one ever has.

I have had people actually try to drive a sale after I've drawn my line. Not often, but it happens. Do I actually hit them? No, of course not. But I make such an INCREDIBLE scene that all commerce effectively stops and nearly the total resources of the business are suddenly devoted to solving the problem. After that happens once at any given store it basically never happens again. Simple operant conditioning, and it works...even on corporations. The benefit of this way of doing things over yours is that I would still be shopping at Kohls (or wherever I wanted) and they would be providing better service to their customers. Everybody wins my way. Everybody loses your way.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Sounds like something made up by some mad best buy employee. There are multiple grade school spelling errors in that document. Now I think to myself that someone just made a mistake copying it over and had to retype it in. But with the correct spelling right in front of their face how would they make such mistakes as

Roll Playing instead of Role Playing
using till instead of until (who the f' would use till)
Know instead of now

Give me a break, obviously something made up to rile people up.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'm not so sure all the BB's do this. I've never been gang banged at the one here. Recently bought a new upconverting DVD player. I went over to the players, found the one I was looking for, grabbed a box off the shelf and took it to the register to be rung up. The person at the register offered me a $40 warranty on the $75 dollar player and I just laughed and said no thanks. That was all. Maybe it's the associates on the sales floor that do this? Like if you ask for assistance? I dunno. I bought my PSP at a BB too and had to get a floor associate to take it out of the locked cage. They tried to sell me a memory stick duo which I would need to save any games which was actually useful information. I knew I could get one online cheaper though so I turned them down. They took it to the register for me and the person there rung me up. No one really harping on the warranty stuff.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Heh, I actually expected this when I went with my Dad to help him get a new HDTV from Best Buy a couple of months ago and told my Dad to be prepared. I was shocked when the sales kid didn't once mention the PSP. That was actually a first for me.

Once, I had a sales kid tell me that I really needed to get the PSP for a Sony DV camera because the Sony camera has more parts than DV cameras from other manufacturers. :confused: