The BESTBUY "Perfect Sale"

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

I only go onto someone elses property to receive a good or service. That is the only good or service I go there for. If there was any other way to obtain that good or service without having to deal with a company, I would. I can't call gorilla and buy a single bottle of glue. They only deal with companies who sell it for them. Ok fine, if they want to make that arrangement then I have no choice. By removing that choice from me the company has effectively invited me to deal with them in exactly the same manner as I would have dealt with the supplier - ie, just give me what I want and leave me alone. I will do anything necessary to see that it happens in that manner.

Actually, no. There are plenty of other places where you can order a bottle of Gorilla Glue without ever interacting with an employee. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-...es-50004/dp/B0001GAYRC

You are not entitled to shop at a store. You are given the priviledge. By choosing to have the convenience of getting your merchandise when you need it, you also choose to abide by the lawful rules that the store sets forth.

I don't shop at Kohls anymore because of the credit card hounding. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: Holy crap I keep on switching around employee and customer. I gotta stop posting and playing Civ 4 at the same time.

I get your point, but unfortunately it's far more complex than that - I was being simplistic for brevity. You are correct that at the very bottom line it's just up to me to choose someone I can deal with the best I can. I have done that. When I go into a store I make it clear that; A) I'm in control, and B) my first response is the only one I'm going to give and failure to accept it as such will result in consequences. IF anyone ever has a problem with that they can tell me to leave. I'm 35 years old, so far no one ever has.

I have had people actually try to drive a sale after I've drawn my line. Not often, but it happens. Do I actually hit them? No, of course not. But I make such an INCREDIBLE scene that all commerce effectively stops and nearly the total resources of the business are suddenly devoted to solving the problem. After that happens once at any given store it basically never happens again. Simple operant conditioning, and it works...even on corporations. The benefit of this way of doing things over yours is that I would still be shopping at Kohls (or wherever I wanted) and they would be providing better service to their customers. Everybody wins my way. Everybody loses your way.

Gotta love that entitlement attitude. If you made a scene like that, any manager with a pair of balls should have you out the door. It's funny that you're such an adamant supporter of the right to bear arms, but you willingly encroach on private property rights and those of business owners and would like to see them destroyed.

I call complete shens on princeofwands. I've been working retail for the last 4 years throughout college. I currently work at T-mobile and I throw someone out of the store atleast twice a month. You'd get thrown out in a heartbeat. If you threatened bodily harm you'd be trespassed for good and if you didn't leave right away I'd call the police on you.

Your views on 'morality' are simply ridiculous. How the fuck can you say that offering a warranty is 'morally' wrong? Thats the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a ripoff. But morally wrong? Do you actually believe the bullshit you're typing?

SaoFeng

Oct 25, 2006
man....there are some messed up people in this thread.

RSPs are simply doing their job.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I buy equipment from Best Buy once a week for work...I have never had this happen. They ask if I want the service plan, I say no (or yes if I'm going to be evil), and that's it.

I take the service plan on personal electronics like MP3 players. With items like that, they just credit you back the purchase price if something goes wrong. I haven't paid for an MP3 player since 1999 :)

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Exterous

I totally agree, and I don't have a problem with a short, simple offer to make people aware that it exists. I do have a problem when it's a sales pitch instead of an informational statement, and when my very first answer isn't accepted as absolute. That's all this is about.

Your arguments are confusing to me. You say in one instance that you threaten bodily harm ("Salesperson: Can I interest you in...
Me: No, and if you ask me again I will hit you so hard your great-grandkids will be born with a black eye. Are we clear? ")to someone and follow up with "when my very first answer isn't accepted as absolute" yet you later claim that you would never hit somone. So....you want us to take your lie as an absolute?

I really don't understand where the difficulty in understanding lies. Obviously I would never actually use violence, except in self defense - which is evident to everyone who hears me say things like that because of the overt pleasantness in my delivery. However lines like the one I originally mentioned have the effect of driving home my stance and almost always negate any further sales attempts. The operational portion of the statement is simply 'no'. The rest of it is just establishing my dedication to the 'no' stance. So yes, my 'no' is absolute.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Cuda1447

I only go onto someone elses property to receive a good or service. That is the only good or service I go there for. If there was any other way to obtain that good or service without having to deal with a company, I would. I can't call gorilla and buy a single bottle of glue. They only deal with companies who sell it for them. Ok fine, if they want to make that arrangement then I have no choice. By removing that choice from me the company has effectively invited me to deal with them in exactly the same manner as I would have dealt with the supplier - ie, just give me what I want and leave me alone. I will do anything necessary to see that it happens in that manner.

Actually, no. There are plenty of other places where you can order a bottle of Gorilla Glue without ever interacting with an employee. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-...es-50004/dp/B0001GAYRC

You are not entitled to shop at a store. You are given the priviledge. By choosing to have the convenience of getting your merchandise when you need it, you also choose to abide by the lawful rules that the store sets forth.

I don't shop at Kohls anymore because of the credit card hounding. It's pretty simple.

EDIT: Holy crap I keep on switching around employee and customer. I gotta stop posting and playing Civ 4 at the same time.

I get your point, but unfortunately it's far more complex than that - I was being simplistic for brevity. You are correct that at the very bottom line it's just up to me to choose someone I can deal with the best I can. I have done that. When I go into a store I make it clear that; A) I'm in control, and B) my first response is the only one I'm going to give and failure to accept it as such will result in consequences. IF anyone ever has a problem with that they can tell me to leave. I'm 35 years old, so far no one ever has.

I have had people actually try to drive a sale after I've drawn my line. Not often, but it happens. Do I actually hit them? No, of course not. But I make such an INCREDIBLE scene that all commerce effectively stops and nearly the total resources of the business are suddenly devoted to solving the problem. After that happens once at any given store it basically never happens again. Simple operant conditioning, and it works...even on corporations. The benefit of this way of doing things over yours is that I would still be shopping at Kohls (or wherever I wanted) and they would be providing better service to their customers. Everybody wins my way. Everybody loses your way.

Gotta love that entitlement attitude. If you made a scene like that, any manager with a pair of balls should have you out the door. It's funny that you're such an adamant supporter of the right to bear arms, but you willingly encroach on private property rights and those of business owners and would like to see them destroyed.

I call complete shens on princeofwands. I've been working retail for the last 4 years throughout college. I currently work at T-mobile and I throw someone out of the store atleast twice a month. You'd get thrown out in a heartbeat. If you threatened bodily harm you'd be trespassed for good and if you didn't leave right away I'd call the police on you.

Your views on 'morality' are simply ridiculous. How the fuck can you say that offering a warranty is 'morally' wrong? Thats the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a ripoff. But morally wrong? Do you actually believe the bullshit you're typing?

It's idiotic to you because we have an entirely different ethical basis. If it's a ripoff then offering it makes you a bad person. Period. Yes I absolutely believe that. Let me clear it up for you: If you try to sell someone something that they don't need, or if you mislead them in ANY way, YOU are a BAD PERSON. Clear enough for you?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

I totally agree, and I don't have a problem with a short, simple offer to make people aware that it exists. I do have a problem when it's a sales pitch instead of an informational statement, and when my very first answer isn't accepted as absolute. That's all this is about.

Your arguments are confusing to me. You say in one instance that you threaten bodily harm ("Salesperson: Can I interest you in...
Me: No, and if you ask me again I will hit you so hard your great-grandkids will be born with a black eye. Are we clear? ")to someone and follow up with "when my very first answer isn't accepted as absolute" yet you later claim that you would never hit somone. So....you want us to take your lie as an absolute?

I really don't understand where the difficulty in understanding lies. Obviously I would never actually use violence, except in self defense - which is evident to everyone who hears me say things like that because of the overt pleasantness in my delivery. However lines like the one I originally mentioned have the effect of driving home my stance and almost always negate any further sales attempts. The operational portion of the statement is simply 'no'. The rest of it is just establishing my dedication to the 'no' stance. So yes, my 'no' is absolute.

That clears nothing up - if you are saying that you will do something but have no intention of actually doing that - then it can not be an absolute. An absolute is a 'positive' or 'certain' A lie/fabrication or sarcasm is neither of these things

And I believe the assumption that people don't take your threat seriously due to your perceived pleasantness is a bad one to make

Furthermore - should you still consider the 'no' an absolute then it should not be included in the same statement as something that is not without proper qualifications. When done so - the true intention of the statement becomes muddled and unclear - possibly resulting in the recognition that a potential threat was made in regards to bodily harm upon the associate and the inability to distinguish truth from fiction

May 16, 2000

That clears nothing up - if you are saying that you will do something but have no intention of actually doing that - then it can not be an absolute. An absolute is a 'positive' or 'certain' A lie/fabrication or sarcasm is neither of these things

And I believe the assumption that people don't take your threat seriously due to your perceived pleasantness is a bad one to make

Furthermore - should you still consider the 'no' an absolute then it should not be included in the same statement as something that is not without proper qualifications. When done so - the true intention of the statement becomes muddled and unclear - possibly resulting in the recognition that a potential threat was made in regards to bodily harm upon the associate and the inability to distinguish truth from fiction

I agree with the semantics of your argument so I will consider modifying future statements. However, it works and it doesn't get me into trouble, so any modifications must maintain the original effectiveness.

Ideas on how to manage that?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JackRipper
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Customer: Yes, my daughter is reasonably attractive, and she's going to college. There will be plenty of geeky guys there willing to fix her computer for free if she just says "hello" to them. I don't need your service plan.

*1* If that fails, bring either a Taser or Mace. It's up to you if you prefer the pepper spray or the Medieval weaponry. Either is effective at dispatching annoying sales reps.

So which one is the Taser?
?
There is the Taser, then there is Mace.
The Mace may take on the form of either the spiked Medieval weaponry, or the more modern pepper spray version. The "either is effective" bit referred only to the latter two salesman dispatch methods.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If they did that, I'd walk out of the store so fast. It's a PC, not a car... And who'd take it to BB to get fixed anyway? Well, I guess the same people that'd buy the warranty. heh.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
This is why I don't shop at Best Buy for anything other then maybe a video game if I can't wait 2-3 days for it to come in the mail.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: videogames101
wow

thats official?

There is no way that an official company communication would include the typo, "Know here is a side by side comparison...". Either that, or Management there is even dumber than usual.

ZV

Never underestimate the stupidity of Management.