The AT World of Warcraft Thread (Where do you play) and general BS

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Or perhaps they use race games to promote continuing to play AV? I mean AV is still good for honor even if you aren't getting full 600-ish. 300 for a 12 minute game is pretty damn sweet, especially when you get maybe 220 for a 30 minute AB game.

Exactly. Yet we still have horde turtling GYs causing Alliance to get 0 honor, causing Alliance not to queue for AV anymore, causing Horde to have 1-hr queue times. Everybody loses. If Horde would just race with us, give us our 300 and they get their 300 honor per game, we have insta-queues... but no... they'd rather get 600 honor since they play so few games now. Cycle of death.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Have 2 talent points left for my Aff tree, should I toss them in improved life tap, supression, or a mix of those?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
yes its depends on group makeup but that list s basicially based off the techniciality of the enrounters and how hard some of the mobs hit, Durnhold is a PITA because of the first boss, you either need a T6 geared tank or 2 dedicated healers, epoch hunter is a pain as well but nothing compaired to the 1st boss, i think 5 manning bosses in in kara is actually easier

I disagree with that a lot. I have beaten that whole instance many times with me as the only healer and a T4/T5 mixed MT. Granted, it is easily the hardest heroic. It is far more about execution than the gear though.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone play on an EST PVE that they would recommend? Horde or Alliance doesn't matter, I just feel like starting another alt.

Some that I was thinking about:

Elune
Drenden
Ghostlands
Trollbane
Thrall
Terokkar
Zul'jin

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MustISO
Anyone play on an EST PVE that they would recommend? Horde or Alliance doesn't matter, I just feel like starting another alt.

Some that I was thinking about:

Elune
Drenden
Ghostlands
Trollbane
Thrall
Terokkar
Zul'jin

I'd look at

Medivh
Zuljin
Thrall
Trollbane
Bloodhoof
Area52

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
Originally posted by: AntiFreze
/cheer

I got the Talon of Azshara from tidewalker last night, then picked up my S1 offhand sword. Still need to make some money for a 2nd mongoose on the offhand. can anyone provide me a link to the highest rogue dps PVE raid sword spec? Now I'm going to start doing arena since daggers utterly suck in there.

So we have downed hydross, lurker, tidewalker, and karethas in SSC and VR and A'lar in TK.

Next on the chopping block is solarian from TK (im guessing so our lock can build up FR gear for the blind)

tips? advice?

Armory my rogue dheriana, I have the cookie cutter sword combat spec. I've hit 1500+ on morogrim (when I wasn't graved).

Solarion is as easy as loot reaver once you get rid of the downs children from your guild.

Essentially you just have to run out when you're the bomb. Sounds easy, right? Take a pallie tank if you can, it makes it trivial.

Leo is a pita of a fight. It's really melee unfriendly (although I've learned to time when to go in and out, and I can now top DPS on wws on him finally to match the rest of the instance) so be prepared to run away from him a lot. Hopefully your hunters are good at misdirecting, it makes the fight so much easier. Have the shamans drop totems dead in the middle of the area to catch his attention while he's WWing.

Other than that, make sure your non-dps classes have some ability to kill, cause there's a chance for everyone to have to kill something solo, and if they can't the raid has to murder them.
It's always fun killing one of the holy priests or a pallie, fortunately we save our battle rezes for this fight.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think I had one of the hardest, most frustrating nights in my entire WoW history last night. I went to Dire Maul: West to get the horse for my Paladin's mount quest (damn you Horde for having an easy as hell quest line). As per a comment on wowhead, I just killed the protectors as supposedly that's all you had to do... wrong. So then I had to go back and kill all the stupid trees... not a big deal. I would've preferred the whole not dying part though.

Warpwood obviously wasn't that hard, so then I went on to taking down the beacon things as I decided I would do my warlock's final mount quest as well. The first one I just charged in... haha that was a bad idea. I didn't die but dang was it not so good. For the other 4 beacons, I just pulled 'em. Immol'thar obviously wasn't that hard... those eye things are worthless against my priest as a renew and prayer of mending out-healed his damage and both are insta-cast (so not affected by his eyes).

Then came the fun: the Warlock Dreadsteed ritual! Now, anyone that's done this before... let me tell you my "class matrix" so you can just cringe ahead of time. I had my 70 Enhancement Shaman and my 62 Affliction Warlock. First, I'll explain what you have to do to anyone that's never done it before. Essentially, you let an imp out of a jar and he sets up three items for you: a bell, a candle and a wheel. The bell restores health and mana, the candle damages foes and the wheel reduces all damage you take by 100. During the ritual, these items also periodically "break down" and are invigorated by the Black Lodestone, which requires a soul shard each time. Note that you perform a 2 second cast to fix them and it is interrupted on hit (not pushed back). If all three items break, you fail. Doesn't sound too bad right? Well, The game sends about 8 imps with around 4000hp at you in the beginning... then it sends more... and more... then it sends an elite felguard at you, which you need to try to enslave to help you out. Then you get more and more imps and start getting multiple elites.

It's fairly easy for a decent group of 5, but for a group with pretty much no AoE? Channeled spells are worthless here as the imps will completely destroy your channeling by the fact that probably 10 will be hitting you at once. So I needed to figure out how to do this!

I knew I had no way of killing all of the imps which would let my warlock revive the items that he needed to, so I had to use some shamanic trickery! Using a fire elemental totem, earth elemental totem and many stoneclaw totems, I was able to keep them off for my warlock to revive items enough times. Unfortunately though... I ended up dying near the end. Literally the only item left up was the candle, and in my experiences, the candle always broke the most, so I was literally praying to every god imaginable (even the pink unicorns (or whatever they are) in Anubis' sig!) for that candle not to drop. I was in luck, the last rune (there's 12 runes and the entire thing takes around 6-7 minutes) formed... I had completed the circle!!! But the fun was not over.

Next, I had to summon the Xorothian Dreadsteed, which I didn't suspect would be much of a problem with my Shaman just DPSing it down. Unfortunately, I found out the very hard way that it has a knockback... a very big knockback. I also wasn't smart enough to pull the Dreadsteed far enough off the pedestal so when Hel'nurath came, I think he aggro'd onto my 'lock. Well, that was a wipe. This time, I decided to wait for my earth elemental totem cooldown to come back. I did so, ran up and summoned my earth elemental. Unfortunately, if you wipe, you will have to fight both the steed and Hel'nurath at the same time, so my poor elemental had to tank both. I sat there DPSing the Dreadsteed while trying to also keep the elemental alive (wasn't an easy task). Eventually, I think after doing a bit of DPS and not being able to heal a lot, the elemental finally went down. I managed to kill the Dreadsteed and priority numero uno was to get the lock to that Dreadsteed to finish! :p Hel'nurath ended up killing my Shaman (seems he has a fun knockback too), but I found that he walks quite slowly. So my warlock just kited him around for the last 10-15%.

After about four hours in Dire Maul: West and one douchebag later, I was finally victorious! One douchebag referring to the fact that I let a 70 Paladin from my warrior's guild come in to get the horse for the Paladin quest and even after he asked what I was doing (the lock mount quest), he didn't even offer to help! He was just like, "Oh, so we'll do scholo next, right?" Yeah, sure bud.

Oh, but I did do scholo that night and I have a big fuck you to Blizzard for that fucking Paladin mount quest. It's not necessarily as difficult as the warlock mount quest, but the problem is... you can't do it over again! If you fail, the doors lock and you cannot retry the event. My warrior died against the shadowy soul things (I still have no idea how they did so much damage against him) and my Paladin was able to finish them off with a bubble, some judgements and a LoH. I finally failed against the first of the fourth wave (i.e. the 6 shadow bolt casting elite souls), which was the second last before the boss (I'd have to kill the super large shadowy soul thing too). It would've been beautiful if someone told me that those shadow bolt casting soul things are all linked. I also probably should've got out of my tanking gear and just went DPS on them since they're casters. Unfortunately, I found no easy way to group them as there was no great place to LoS (it's a mostly open room with some corners that can be used to some extent). So yeah, I cleared half of Scholo just to get one shot :(. Well, at least my priest got Lifestealing finally! :)

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: DarkRipper

Solarion is as easy as loot reaver once you get rid of the downs children from your guild.

:laugh:

We have a policy in our guild that anyone who blows up the group on Solarian will only do it once...

Have two or three paladin healers do nothing the entire fight but spam this macro when Solarian is up to negate arcane missiles, and use normal manual heals as needed when she is not up:

/target high astromancer solarian
/assist
/cast flash of light

Have one healer dedicated to healing wrath victims as they explode, preferably a druid pr priest so the HoTs can be applied before the bomb even goes off.

Have the remaining healers dedicated to your tanks (2 MTs and a prot pally ideally).

A rogue and enhancement shaman on each priest spamming interrupts when they spawn with a warlock putting up CoT the moment they spawn.

Have all ranged dps and healers pile up on the lock and prot pally the entire fight to make it easy for people with wrath to move away, and making it easier for the prot pally to pick up all the adds.

Lay down totems for decoys as well, Solarian likes to arcane missile on them for some reason.

And I like the Leo fight as a holy paladin, demons go down quick when you have 900+ spell damage :)

Judge crusader, seal of righteousness, lay down a consecrate, pop avenging wrath and both healing trinkets for the spell dmg, divine favor + holy shock, exorcise, holy wrath, judge righteousness, and hammer of wrath, and its dead in about 10 seconds. Most of the time you don't even need holy wrath and your healing trinkets are still active in time to heal your fellow cloth and leather healers.

It's usually hunters and prot warriors that have the most trouble killing their demons. It's important that healers not heal themselves, especially priests. Another healer who does not have a demon needs to watch out for the other healers.

But yeah, Leo is all about not being a tard and getting hit by whirl. If you can make it to the split at 15% without anyone getting hit by whirl, and people ignore the demon form and continue dodging whirls, it's yours. Common problem is people flipping out and trying to go for an all out burn on the split and forget that the human still whirls, which then proceeds to wipe your dps. Other than the warlock tank and 1 or 2 healers on that warlock and the fel hound, the rest of the raid needs to proceed from 100% to 0% exactly the same. Having a second lock who can soul stone your lock tank a second time helps if the lock tank gets unlucky more than once.

Make your dps responsible for their own health. When they have to pot/bandage through a bleed and get called out for dying early, they will learn not to get hit by whirls. You will know who is a dps meter whore by who doesn't get out early enough.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
theres a reason i didnt do my epic mount quest till i was 70, you kinda just described it

Haha, I was quite elated to finally get it done. The difficulty, combined with the fact that the guy left without even offering any help (this really torques me when people do that) and that some chick was going emo-tacular on me because the quest was putting me in a bad mood and I made that quite clear.

I guess I'll just try the Paladin mount quest again tonight. I'll probably just get some people to help. I'd rather do it myself, because I get a lot more out of it ( in my opinion ), but the fact that I can only do it once per instance makes me want to play it safe rather than try to "solo-group" it.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
theres a reason i didnt do my epic mount quest till i was 70, you kinda just described it

Haha, I was quite elated to finally get it done. The difficulty, combined with the fact that the guy left without even offering any help (this really torques me when people do that) and that some chick was going emo-tacular on me because the quest was putting me in a bad mood and I made that quite clear.

I guess I'll just try the Paladin mount quest again tonight. I'll probably just get some people to help. I'd rather do it myself, because I get a lot more out of it ( in my opinion ), but the fact that I can only do it once per instance makes me want to play it safe rather than try to "solo-group" it.

You know each wave is weak to certain judgments right?

I never completed mine until 70 either; went in with 2 other geared paladins starting in DM. I cant stand that an accomplishment so personal as your epic riding skill is dependent on needing others to help you in an instance that nobody wants to run.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: exdeath
You know each wave is weak to certain judgments right?

Yes, but I'd like to see you control an arms warrior and a prot paladin at the same time trying to take out 6-8 shadow bolt casting mobs while in tanking gear, because a bunch of previous mobs dealt around 1000 damage in 3 seconds when you weren't in said gear. A single heal easily pulls aggro onto the Paladin when you need to go back to the warrior to take out mobs and try to get control when you need to be DPSing them but you can't because you're not in the proper gear! You want to judge the mobs, but there's only 4 of them grouped together, but you need to heal or you'll die, so you can't judge.

EDIT:

I never completed mine until 70 either; went in with 2 other geared paladins starting in DM. I cant stand that an accomplishment so personal as your epic riding skill is dependent on needing others to help you in an instance that nobody wants to run.

Why didn't you solo it then? Also, I don't need help clearing the instance. My priest could clear Scholomance by himself at level 60 for God's sake, I don't need help doing it at 70.

I also prefer finding people that need the quest rather than asking for help in EVERY situation not just a mount quest. I've actually refused a lot of help on group quests for the fact that I don't burden people to do things that they don't need. But I'd like to see you clear Scholomance up to Rattlegore (45 minutes to 1 hour each time) just to get one shot at it. Frankly, I like a challenge, but I don't like getting frustrated at Blizzard's shitty, underhanded setups.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Make your dps responsible for their own health. When they have to pot/bandage through a bleed and get called out for dying early, they will learn not to get hit by whirls. You will know who is a dps meter whore by who doesn't get out early enough.

That is a really bad idea. Ultimately, you will waste more time that way. If the DPS needs to be put through that kind of forceful treatment to learn how to handle one aspect of one encounter then the problem is the quality of members that your guild decided to recruit.

My guild farms Leo but people still get hit by WW sometimes. They all survive because we act as a team which includes the healers.....you know....healing.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434

That is a really bad idea. Ultimately, you will waste more time that way. If the DPS needs to be put through that kind of forceful treatment to learn how to handle one aspect of one encounter then the problem is the quality of members that your guild decided to recruit.

My guild farms Leo but people still get hit by WW sometimes. They all survive because we act as a team which includes the healers.....you know....healing.

If they get heals great. But healers have primary responsibilities, which does not include leaving the tanks, or other healers with demons, unattended while chasing 10 persistently out of range people all across the arena during whirl to heal people too stupid to avoid whirls in the first place.

I'm not saying let them die. I'm saying they need to aid in keeping themselves up due to the range issues that are guaranteed to occur when people are running away in several directions at once. With few exceptions (dps warrior as we near 20% for example), dps is my last priority when healing. I will keep people up if they happen to be in range, but I will not chase people clear to the other side of the map, all the while not healing for several seconds because I'm running. Bubble/ice block/stone form/pot/bandage in those cases, or stay next to a healer when you run from whirl.

Any time I get hit by whirl it's because I chose to stay in range of the tank during whirl I and know that my bubble is up.

It's really not that hard. Our first night on Leo people were dying to whirl bleeds left and right. On the third attempt and first kill, just cold turkey nobody got hit by the whirl anymore all the way to the end.

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
Originally posted by: AntiFreze
can rogues pop evasion during a WW and stay in to DPS? or does the WW hit a bunch of times?

I've done so to get away, but the bleed is nasty enough that you don't want to stay in on him to dps when he's WWing.

Better to wait till he's done, he gets MDed onto the tank, and jump on him with a cooldown then.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Arena - Nerfing the rest of WoW since January 16, 2007.

fuck you blizzard, apperently 4000+ posts of feedback dont mean shit

my accnt runs out in 3 weeks

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I don't get why this is the end of your world? Does having your DPS lowered a little really matter to you that much?

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006

I don't get why this is the end of your world? Does having your DPS lowered a little really matter to you that much?

ALL of the nerfs, buffs, and class changes are due to Arena and PvP issues. They take very little consideration to how a class will perform in a raid than a 5v5 match.

So all the druid changes, warlock lifetap nerfs, priest changes, etc are due to balance PvP, NOT PvE.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

15% is a bit more then a little but i would just let that slide if they simply wanted to lower our DPS they could just do it but thats not the issue

lets see where to start

1) the are" fixing" something that was never broken
2) nerfing PVE because of something that has not been a PVP issue in 9 months
3) inverse gear scaleing, essentially upgradeing to my T6 set from T5 hurts me because it has a big stamina increase and ZERO int increase
4) asking for feedback getting thousands of posts with all the math and theroycrafting about why its 1) bad 2) unneeded and 3) hurts raiding more then PVP and then compleatly ignoring that
5) ignoring major issues with our class as well as other classes being vastly underpowered or overpowered

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I did both of the mount quest ally side in L60 5 mans. For the lock we had no real aoe as it was 2 locks and a hunter for dps.

Are the horde versions easier than the alliance? That would be nice.

The ally pally one does suck pretty hard when doing the scholo portion. When I did the lock one it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but we started before the body of the previous boss decomposed and he landed right in the center of the circle so you really couldn't see the imp working and the bell to ring it, not to mention difficulty is seeing all the incoming waves.

DarkRipper

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2000
Originally posted by: invidia

ALL of the nerfs, buffs, and class changes are due to Arena and PvP issues. They take very little consideration to how a class will perform in a raid than a 5v5 match.

So all the druid changes, warlock lifetap nerfs, priest changes, etc are due to balance PvP, NOT PvE.

I was just talking to my friend about this, and we agree, the arena changes have made too many bad pve changes.

We're not quitting over it, but it is BS.

I wish they'd just make pvp/arena only servers, where people can transfer to and pvp to their hearts content.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: invidia

Yes, I know that. Yet you're still not getting it. If having your DPS lowered (albeit not for a necessarily great reason) makes you want to quit, perhaps you shouldn't have been playing in the first place? I play a game to have fun... and sure, an unwarranted change is kind of unsettling, yet it doesn't necessarily remove my ability to have fun.

Originally posted by: lupi
Are the horde versions easier than the alliance? That would be nice.

The Horde Warlock quest is the exact same as the Alliance one. The Horde Paladin quest is not the same and in fact, it is much easier. Their final quest involves going to Stratholme Undead, extinguishing a flame in the chapel (that's right at the beginning...), killing the Paladin in there and then killing 4 more Paladins outside. It's a joke and a half. Even if you can't do it again if you fail, it's at the beginning of the instance and requires 1-2 pulls to get to! It took more effort to get the Stratholme Holy Water for my Ally Pally's quest than it would for that.

The ally pally one does suck pretty hard when doing the scholo portion. When I did the lock one it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but we started before the body of the previous boss decomposed and he landed right in the center of the circle so you really couldn't see the imp working and the bell to ring it, not to mention difficulty is seeing all the incoming waves.

It was going fairly decent until that Shadowbolt group. If I knew that I couldn't pull just one, I would've handled it differently and tried to get them when they were all grouped up.

EDIT:

I did both of the mount quest ally side in L60 5 mans. For the lock we had no real aoe as it was 2 locks and a hunter for dps.

However, two locks also means two Felguards and you have five actual people playing instead of just one. The hard part was simply getting the imps off my lock (and keeping any approaching ones off, which was hard because of the "use box" of the items is so damn large that I couldn't select the imp I wanted to half the time) so he could revive a broken item. That's why I started using Stoneclaw to help

Status
Not open for further replies.