TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Hard to believe I'm finally playing TF2 after all these years. I'd started to consider it vaporware at some point.

This is so much fun! The changes to classes seem good.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'm downloading it right now. Taking forever, even at 470K/sec. I played Lost Coast in the meantime.. only lasted like 15 minutes.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I'm downloading it right now. Taking forever, even at 470K/sec. I played Lost Coast in the meantime.. only lasted like 15 minutes.

its supposed to be an hdr demo

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
Originally posted by: joshsquall

its supposed to be an hdr demo

Yep, I know.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Anyone having problems? Once I get to the start screen, it just stutters forever and I have to ctl-alt-del out of it. :confused:

I can't even find an official forum. Heck, I didn't even know this was a demo, I just hit download on STEAM and it said nothing about it being a beta.

KT

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I played for about 20 minutes. It seems to run a bit slower than HL2 or CS:S, but no complaints as I'm sure dropping 4x AA to 2x or off will get me back up to better fps. Just to run 1680x1050 at mid or high details on a game released in 2007 is great in my book, given my rig that got rather outdated quickly, especially the video card.

But yeah, it is pretty awesome. Playing 2fort... it brought back rather vivid memories of playing the original TF, and that was like 1997 or 1998... surprised I'd remember it that well. I was getting weird lag spikes for a while even with a ping under 50. Might be some people running these 20-24 player servers on a connection not able to handle it.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Anyone having problems? Once I get to the start screen, it just stutters forever and I have to ctl-alt-del out of it. :confused:

I can't even find an official forum. Heck, I didn't even know this was a demo, I just hit download on STEAM and it said nothing about it being a beta.

KT

Yeah, my download just finished and I tried to start it up.. I heard the Valve intro music then it just went black and crashed. Great start.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
played it...love it!

the spy is the best character so far... nice to be able to change to look like the opposite team!

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: msi1337
played it...love it!

the spy is the best character so far... nice to be able to change to look like the opposite team!

You must not have played TFC then.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Played it all night, my reaction in general is negative. And I want to love this game. I think it needs some tweaking

1. Medic + HW combo is stupidly strong. Most games I played devolved to each team having at least two or three of these combos slugging it out. Whichever team had the better doc + HW combo won. Horribly unbalanced.
2. Scout: Double jump is nifty, but without a smg has no way to take out sentry guns. Pretty much useless.
3. Pyro: Good for a laugh, but also useless. Range is VERY short and fire does little long term damage and doesn't blind well. They're supposed to own at close range and most of the maps are wide open.
4. Soldier: Still one of the best all around, but rocket jumping is difficult. The game has a lot of ledges that have invisible walls and you can't jump up to them.
5. Spies: Very powerful, if not overpowered. Invisibility is a super ability and unbalanced.
6. The new Well stinks. Where's the well?

It's fun, but frustrating. I didn't play sniper or demoman, so I can't say anything about those classes. They look pretty much like the old versions. I would make the medic ray MUCH shorter in range, so it's actually possible to kill a medic. Invulnerability should be gone. All classes should have some long range weapon, even if it's weak, like the scout's old SMG or the old fire rockets. Removing the grenades took out the great equalizer of the game. Before each class could have a chance in a given situation. The way the game is shaping up now, it seems that HW, Medic, Engy and Spy will be 90% of the population and the others left to rot.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Played it for 3 hours. It is definitely a fun mod, but doesn't feel like TF. Dave lists some good reasons, in my experience every class but scout feels like you are controlling a fat man. After 3 hours as Soldier I was able to rj through the hole in 2fort4. Soldier works better as defense than offense because it is largely an immobile class. You'll notice Soldier is listed as offense because usually they could move around the map pretty fast in their own respect, not really true now. I managed to make some offensive plays, but it was usually when the entire other team wasn't watching middle.

Sentry guns are friggen insane now. - Engineers are 1 man wrecking crews because of the lack of grenades. Even if you know where their turrets are and nobody is even defending with them, they are very hard to deal with. Which is an awkward scenario, turrets shouldn't be build and forget.

I was shocked at the amount of melee, melee kills in old TF were something to be proud of, but they happen around every corner in TF2. I saw scouts getting people on their dominated list with the bat.

As far as defending, I fought A LOT of spies. Most popular class for the entire 3 hours. Mainly because they are the only class with a decent shot at getting past turrets which makes them the premier offensive class. Scouts were pretty popular, but I was surprised to see the 3rd offensive class as *drumroll* HW guys. Hey, shouldn't you be back at base defending you freaking tank. 1 HW guy and a medic plowed through a whole bunch of turrets. But for the most part me and a demoman kept them at bay.

Firing the rocket launcher in TF2 is equivalent to firing the rocket launcher in Quake1 with a 400-500 ping. Aim way ahead. It took me about 15-30 minutes to get the timing down good, but I noticed a lot of players almost expected you to miss, when they saw soldiers they'd keep running at or around you with the assumption that you'd miss. Once my aim got decent they'd step into the fire most times, but the feeling of having a sluggish rocket launcher never really disappeared completely.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Most popular class I saw was definitely the HWGuy (partnered with a medic, imagine that). I played as a spy for most of my 3 hours, and I fricken LOVED it. Outsmarting people and blending in well enough to confuse them is so satisfying. As for spies being overpowered: Not on your average map they aren't, and can't be. Simply friendly fire everyone you see and you're bound to kill a spy, since as far as I can tell, there is no friendly fire and if there is then there isn't a way to tell on the server listings.

JorynnRace

Sep 7, 2007
Well I got suckered. I broke down and bought the pre-order. I had to admit that $45 really isn't that much considering the amount of content that comes with it, and I'm only including HL2ep2 and TF2.

So now I just have to find time to acctually play TF2...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i just purchased the pr-order of the orange box. it says hl2: episode 2 is in it but it's only allowing me to install hl2: episode 1...does that have to be installed before i can install episode 2?

I don't really give a crap about the episodes because i thought HL2 was mediocre at best anyway.

nvm, i see it but its not out yet so you can't install.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
i just purchased the pr-order of the orange box. it says hl2: episode 2 is in it but it's only allowing me to install hl2: episode 1...does that have to be installed before i can install episode 2?

I don't really give a crap about the episodes because i thought HL2 was mediocre at best anyway.

Episode 2 is not out yet. I have the Black Box and it shows Episode 2 (and Portal) as unavailable right now, but TF2 is available.

KT

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

Episode 2 and Portal get release on Oct 10th, 2007 at 12:01PDT

I highly recommend playing Portal, EP2, TF2, and Peggle!!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
My hope is that once people get used to the new features and class changes, it will seem more balanced to everyone. If not, maybe Valve will do some tweaking to even things out a bit.

For example: Soldiers and spies are pretty much the only sentry-killing class now. Spy has a sapper-charge and soldiers need to find a LOS to the sentry that is out of its range that they can spam rockets from. Once they realize that I hope sentries won't seem as overpowered as they do now. Sentries track much faster now (begin firing the millisecond they see you) and seem to have a longer range.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
My favorite class in TFC was the Pyro, and now in TF2 he seems to be useless. I try my best to play the same way I did in TFC with him but I can't kill more than ten players or so in an entire round, when I could kill 30+ in TFC with a Pyro, and that's without a Medic support. I need practice that's for sure, but I think I'll try to find a new class to play as, I don't like the Pyro much anymore (and the actual range of the flame thrower is too short for my tastes, and I agree that it doesn't do much long-term damage).

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I played for a little while and although the gfx are nice I didn't like the gameplay much but I'm use to CS:S so thats probably why. I've never played TFC though I just thought I would give it a shot. I am certainly gonna give it a few weeks to see if it grows on me I actually am a little clueless when it comes to playing.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I started playing TF2 also. It's kind of fun, but frustrating too.

I'm not sure which class i like the best yet. I seem to play sniper, demo, or engineer the most so far though. the spy sounds really cool but I suck with him. i guess i just need practice.

i never played TFC btw, so I have nothing to base it off of.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Finally got it working and played for a couple of hours on Thinking Man.

I had a tonne of fun and I never really fouind one class to be particularly dominant over another, though I did find the Pyro to be sort of weak. Best class for me was Sniper, then Scout and Heavy, though it really depended on the map and game type being played.

No clue what to do as a Spy or Engineer yet, but I guess that will come with time. An instruction book would be very useful now that I think of it.

One thing I hate is Sudden Death. If you happen to die right away, you are stuck watching for 3 minutes, and nothing ever seems to get accomplished during it anyway.

I never played TFC, but I could definitely see myself getting into this. :thumbsup:

KT

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
First server I played on must have had some real good players. Tried another one just now and really enjoyed the game the players on there seemed more at my level since I'm new to this type of game. Definitely fun if you can find a server with ppl on your skill level. CS:S has ruined me :D its gonna take me a month of playing to get use to these run and gun games again. Its been at least 3 years since I was into these shoot em ups.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Does anyone have this running at 1920x1200? Everytime I try to change to any 16:10 resolution, the game freezes, with stuttering sound, then I have to shut it down. I'm stuck playing at 12 x something. :frown:

If anyone know of a solution, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
KT