Tesla Model Y

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If it's anything like the Model X, though, it'll strictly be an option for those people who somehow need to haul seven people. Realistically it'll just be extra cargo space for everyone else.

The optional last row in the Model X is pretty worthless for anyone that isn't a child... or has very, very small legs. My friend has the last row in his X, and if any adult gets stuck back there, they usually have to put their feet up as they just won't fit. I'm pretty sure I tried to sit back there once out of curiosity, and it was just a big "NOPE!" from me. :p

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The optional last row in the Model X is pretty worthless for anyone that isn't a child... or has very, very small legs. My friend has the last row in his X, and if any adult gets stuck back there, they usually have to put their feet up as they just won't fit. I'm pretty sure I tried to sit back there once out of curiosity, and it was just a big "NOPE!" from me. :p

Thought that might be the case! So, if I'm fortunate enough to order a Model Y, the five-seat option it is. :D I very much like the thought of it, my partner and I would love an EV that has good cargo capabilities, yet isn't a huge boat.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The Y is for Tesla Chonky lol

j01ZnPN.jpg
that would look so much better as a coupe with a lower rear roof line but then I'm currently driving one of these:

2013_nissan_altima_coupe_2_5_s-pic-1084895304997764918-640x480.jpeg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Here's front parked picture of Model 3 and Model Y. You can see the slight height difference between the two. Tesla is going to sell boatload of Y.

zj6nvf5919a41.jpg

Reactions: bigi

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Here's front parked picture of Model 3 and Model Y. You can see the slight height difference between the two. Tesla is going to sell boatload of Y.

zj6nvf5919a41.jpg

I think my only real complaint with the Model 3 is how low it is to the ground. It feels even lower to get into than my Mustang. While that's not an issue for me, I think the Y will sells truckloads just because it will be easier to get in & out of, both for older people (like with joint problems) & for people with kids who have to load & unload the kids & their gear.

I definitely want to see the 7-seater in-person, because that could be handy when you're in a pinch & need to move lots of people, but given my experience with existing 7-seater SUV's, I suspect it's gonna be pretty meh lol.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Don't forget the hatch vs trunk aspect. That alone makes it 100% more appealing from a practicality stand point.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Don't forget the hatch vs trunk aspect. That alone makes it 100% more appealing from a practicality stand point.

I'm curious to see how much added space the Y has...the 3 has a surprisingly large amount of storage haha!

Dec 10, 2005
I definitely want to see the 7-seater in-person, because that could be handy when you're in a pinch & need to move lots of people, but given my experience with existing 7-seater SUV's, I suspect it's gonna be pretty meh lol.
Honestly, I never understood the point of getting a car for the rare use case, such as a 7-seater for the 1-2 times per year you might want to move more people a short distance. It seems like instances like that, you'd be better off either taking 2 cars or using a ride share for the extra people.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Honestly, I never understood the point of getting a car for the rare use case, such as a 7-seater for the 1-2 times per year you might want to move more people a short distance. It seems like instances like that, you'd be better off either taking 2 cars or using a ride share for the extra people.

I know it may blow your mind, but some people need the space more than a couple times a year.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think my only real complaint with the Model 3 is how low it is to the ground. It feels even lower to get into than my Mustang. While that's not an issue for me, I think the Y will sells truckloads just because it will be easier to get in & out of, both for older people (like with joint problems) & for people with kids who have to load & unload the kids & their gear.

Even with the Model X, most people are likely better off getting the five- or six-seat configuration. The seats in the very back aren't exactly spacious, and many people are more likely to need cargo space than a clown car.

Dec 10, 2005
I know it may blow your mind, but some people need the space more than a couple times a year.
It doesn't blow my mind that there are people where that use exists. I think those people aren't as prevalent as they believe. If you actually need the space, sure, go for it. But generally, I think my fellow Americans have this insane notion of overbuying vehicles, both financially and size-wise, to cover 1% use cases.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you want to seat 7, minivan is the way to go. Even on my Lexus LX470, the back 2 seats are really only suitable for small kids. And even for them, it's uncomfortable. You want the Y for the extra cargo room, not for the 7 seating.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm curious to see how much added space the Y has...the 3 has a surprisingly large amount of storage haha!
That's why Y is going to be so great. Even the 3 has large storage. Y is next level.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
tbh I can't wait to see what the Cybertruck has IRL, space-wise!

Any particular reason you would feel it'll be much different than a standard crew cab truck? Outside of the taller head room than some models, I doubt it will be.

Also, I'm not understanding the Model Y space reactions. It has the same total cargo space as many other vehicles in it's class. Ya, it's a mid sized CUV so it's going to have low to mid 60cuft storage. Is it because it's the first cheap Tesla with decent space?