Tesla Model Y

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm glad that they finally considered removing the chrome for the black. I had my chrome pieces wrapped in black just to remove it, but it's not perfect. I wonder if a lot of the non-Chrome parts from the Y can be used on the 3? IT looks like the only one that shouldn't would be the long, top trim piece as that has to contain the curve for the taller roof. On the other hand, the door pieces are separate bits of trim. The mirror is one of the hardest parts to wrap, so it'd be interesting if that could be transferred over.

Although, it's kind of disappointing that the reveal event had a model with black wheels, but there's no option for that. Without the chrome trim, I feel like that would really finish that nice, two-tone look! There is over a year to wait for the car, so maybe the option will be available by that point. You can always change things after the fact up until close to when your car goes into production or they find a premade car that matches yours.

Having done the painted, chrome, polished, black, gray and now back to painted transition of rim finishes I feel that by late 2020 there will be a newer fad and the finish offered is pretty safe. When the Honda Pilot offers black rims it's now passe :)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
OK, it's growing on me...

U2dUhEb.jpg

Reactions: Herr Kutz

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I blame BMW with the X6. They started this ugly, impractical hi-belt CUV segment.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Having done the painted, chrome, polished, black, gray and now back to painted transition of rim finishes I feel that by late 2020 there will be a newer fad and the finish offered is pretty safe. When the Honda Pilot offers black rims it's now passe :)

Well, for me, it's not just about black wheels in and of themselves, but rather, I like the two-tone black wheels + black accents with a good paint color. If you add in a good window tinting, the car has a far more aggressive look to it that you'd expect of something sleek like that. I got quite a lot of compliments on my car with just the tinting done to it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well, for me, it's not just about black wheels in and of themselves, but rather, I like the two-tone black wheels + black accents with a good paint color. If you add in a good window tinting, the car has a far more aggressive look to it that you'd expect of something sleek like that. I got quite a lot of compliments on my car with just the tinting done to it.

I will be tinting them 25% on the sides and back and hopefully a dark grey colored rim option will become available. It is odd that the rims shown on the reveal are not an options.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Curious about the ground clearance & if they're going to be selling it with air suspension. Saw a Kia Niro today & figure it will be about the same size, but I think the Niro may have an inch or two of ground clearance over a Model 3.

Right now, I don't see the Model Y as a crossover, primary due to ground clearance & ride height...it's really just a Model 3 hatchback :p

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Curious about the ground clearance & if they're going to be selling it with air suspension. Saw a Kia Niro today & figure it will be about the same size, but I think the Niro may have an inch or two of ground clearance over a Model 3.

Right now, I don't see the Model Y as a crossover, primary due to ground clearance & ride height...it's really just a Model 3 hatchback :p

Looking at the side profile comparison, looks like the Y has more wheel gap over the 3 but it's hard to judge. The other thing that will help is the larger door that extends to the wheel arch and the higher roof line. I have had my daughter in the rear of the ZL1, Mazda 6 and now X3 and can appreciate how being up a little higher helps. Also, having a hatch makes life so easy.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I will be tinting them 25% on the sides and back and hopefully a dark grey colored rim option will become available. It is odd that the rims shown on the reveal are not an options.

imo they would have more Model Y pre-orders if they sold those rims as "Founder's Editions", like a special limited edition that you can only buy if you pre-order before the actual release date.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
imo they would have more Model Y pre-orders if they sold those rims as "Founder's Editions", like a special limited edition that you can only buy if you pre-order before the actual release date.

Knowing Tesla, the special "Founder's Edition" rims would hit a production snag and we would get our cars 2 months after the go on regular sale :)

Reactions: Kaido

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Looking at the side profile comparison, looks like the Y has more wheel gap over the 3 but it's hard to judge. The other thing that will help is the larger door that extends to the wheel arch and the higher roof line. I have had my daughter in the rear of the ZL1, Mazda 6 and now X3 and can appreciate how being up a little higher helps. Also, having a hatch makes life so easy.

At least with the Model 3, the Performance version includes the Performance Upgrade Package, which drops the car by half an inch. So, it's likely that the Model Y will lose a bit of height with the Performance version too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^egads--what happened to the front of that car? The rest looks so good, but did they just stop designed the front or something?

OK, it's growing on me...

U2dUhEb.jpg

all that skin cancer, tho! D:

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
^egads--what happened to the front of that car? The rest looks so good, but did they just stop designed the front or something?

I think the front looks fine. If you want to see weird, check out a side profile of the Model 3. That's probably its worst angle due to the very short trunk plateau combined with the larger "snout".

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My buddy was very generous & let me spend some quality time with his new Model 3. Even as a "Standard Plus" model, it's a beast, especially with Autopilot! Babysit-FSD is coming Christmas(ish) this year & then the Y is out next year. I'm sold on the idea now, but definitely would like the extra height (ground clearance, especially) & hatchback available on the Model Y, despite it being somewhat frumpy of a design. I'll give them a year to work out the kinks as well, so no reservation for me - I'll just plan on Christmas 2021, haha! They'll have 2 years of FSD by then as well.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Ugg. Looks like a focus or other cheap hatch. Given Tesla's history with options there is zero chance that it'll actually start at $39k. So many other cars I'd rather have near that price point.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think the front looks fine. If you want to see weird, check out a side profile of the Model 3. That's probably its worst angle due to the very short trunk plateau combined with the larger "snout".

It looks like a weird alien. I think it could be fixed with a proper grill. Yes, it doesn't need one of course....but it really needs one. This is sort of the uncanny valley for car aesthetics. Because there is a generations-long standard, you look at that thing, and say to yourself: "That looks pretty nice and all, but something about it just isn't quite right. I think I know what it is supposed to be, but my brain is telling me to keep a measured distance"

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ugg. Looks like a focus or other cheap hatch. Given Tesla's history with options there is zero chance that it'll actually start at $39k. So many other cars I'd rather have near that price point.

hFBvg8t.jpg

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Profiles are converging due to aerodynamics. Still immediately read as 'cheap econobox' to me. Probably mostly the taller greenhouse, but man those aero wheels photos aren't doing it any favors either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It looks like a weird alien. I think it could be fixed with a proper grill. Yes, it doesn't need one of course....but it really needs one. This is sort of the uncanny valley for car aesthetics. Because there is a generations-long standard, you look at that thing, and say to yourself: "That looks pretty nice and all, but something about it just isn't quite right. I think I know what it is supposed to be, but my brain is telling me to keep a measured distance"

The Model 3 does have a grill, but given that it doesn't need such a large radiator as in an ICE-powered vehicle, the grill is much, much smaller. It's positioned below the curved lip of the car and features dampers that can open or close depending on whether the car needs the air flow or not.

I know what you mean though... you'd want it to be more like the Model S whose grill opening is far more visible. It doesn't bother me though... mostly because I think the other front lines are pretty good. They remind me of a Porsche!

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Profiles are converging due to aerodynamics. Still immediately read as 'cheap econobox' to me. Probably mostly the taller greenhouse, but man those aero wheels photos aren't doing it any favors either.

Would you mind sharing your ideal 'tasteful/luxury' type of vehicle? Maybe Franz can steal your idea for next Tesla design to save them in a long run?

Really. Please enlighten this forum.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Would you mind sharing your ideal 'tasteful/luxury' type of vehicle? Maybe Franz can steal your idea for next Tesla design to save them in a long run?

Really. Please enlighten this forum.

You forgot the /s.

I think one of the biggest things that stands out for cheap vs premium in body style is the degree in which the body panels have been worked. Cheap cars tend to have very flat sides, more expensive cars can (but not always) have much more 3d body panels. The Y has pretty flat sides. Had they given it about 2 inches of track and deeper fenders it would change the look substantially. Alternately they could have made the hood depressed more in the center with raised light ridges similar to the 911. With no motor up front that should be possible. That would have given it a more interesting shape. However CUV's a just ugly cars in general.

As for what I like in the CUV segment, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all,
Jaguar e-pace is pretty cool looking
jag-fron-34.jpg

I like the BMW X1. better than the x3 visually
BMW_X1_xDrive25d_%28F48%29_-_Frontansicht.jpg

I saw an alpha on the road the other day and thought it looked nice. Looks a little weird in photos though.
Alfa_Romeo-Stelvio_Quadrifoglio-2018-1280-06.jpg