Techreport 7950 vs. GTX 660 Ti "Smoothness" videos

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I believe only TR shows frame time data in their reviews so we don't have much data to compare.But going through that review it seems that AMD driver team needs to do some extra work.If they indeed traded "smoothness" for raw "fps" they should give a choice to the end user to choose one.

I agree that some more research needs to go into the issue. If indeed AMD has an issue with smoothness compared to Nvidia, then it needs to be corrected.

I just get tired of blanket statements about either manufacturer based on so little data and than exaggerated to the nth degree.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I agree that some more research needs to go into the issue. If indeed AMD has an issue with smoothness compared to Nvidia, then it needs to be corrected.

I just get tired of blanket statements about either manufacturer based on so little data and than exaggerated to the nth degree.

I concur.Perhaps this is the reason "PC" gaming is dying due to so many variables.I beilve at this point both camps are pushing out really good drivers and choosing a brand comes down to one's personal preference rather than "drivers".

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007
If they indeed traded "smoothness" for raw "fps" they should give a choice to the end user to choose one.

Again, the first TechReport article says that they didn't observe that the newer, faster drivers were less smooth. Not sure why this rumor keeps coming up, but it's exactly the opposite of what the testing showed.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Again, the first TechReport article says that they didn't observe that the newer, faster drivers were less smooth. Not sure why this rumor keeps coming up, but it's exactly the opposite of what the testing showed.
Which review you are referring to?
So far I have read 7950 vs 660Ti in win 8,7950 vs 660Ti in win 7 and the camera comparison.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Keys made it up and all the trolls are perpetuating it.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Scott Wasson also stated that while the 12.8's were slower, they exhibited the same latency issues.
And Vulgar display, I know you stated that you like to get a rise out of people, but lets not resort to outright lieing please.

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
If Scott Wasson,the god of videocard testing says it is true then it must be true.

I'm still waiting for the tons of other sites to investigate this 'issue'.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
If Scott Wasson,the god of videocard testing says it is true then it must be true.

Oh you mean Scott Wasson the established and well respected (see Anand's tweet) hardware reviewer? Yes he does seem to know what he is talking about.
And yes, we are all hoping to see more sites jump on this testing methodology. Would be Awesome.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

HardOCP noticed something going on as well.

And over time I think we will see more high-speed footage of different games at various settings and resolutions.

If it is a problem, I want it identified and fixed, not for people to sarcastically dismiss it.

Any non-biased gamer would agree.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

And over time I think we will see more high-speed footage of different games at various settings and resolutions.

If it is a problem, I want it identified and fixed, not for people to sarcastically dismiss it.

HardOCP has only commented on SLI vs CFX for smoothness as far as I've seen. I've never seen them say that Nvidia is more smooth than AMD in single card configurations. They have actually said that cards from both camps are smoother than the other depending on the game but usually it's equal. HardOCP also has commented that they don't feel like there is any way (including frame times) to accurately benchmark smoothness right now and so they will only continue to publish their fps through time graphs and subjective comparisons.

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007
So? It's speculation whats the problem?

What you fail to understand is, I don't care what you, or I, or anyone in a forum posts regarding frametimes. Times are different now, forums are corrupt and stealth marketing is rampant, sooooooo, at this point, I'll only "hear" accredited review sites on this issue. Sorry man, just the way it is. For me anyway. Not speaking for everyone of course.

I think you've answered your own question here.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
If this problem is so wide spread, why aren't these guys throwing up all kinds of videos of it in a variety of games? Instead we get a video of Skyrim. I naturally hitchy, buggy game. I game which I love never the less.

I'm all for exposing shoddy practices and what not so I would like to have more proof. So where are the videos?

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012

I don't want it sarcastically dismissed either, but neither do I want rumours to end up as fact. [H] did NOT comment on the same issues TR have alleged, TR is specifically mentioning single GPU use. [H] do mention it for CF configurations only.

I tested Skyrim and Hitman AB and found my 7970 did stutter excessively in Skyrim and saw a similar experience to what TR said about Skyrim. Though others have tested and saw no such problems.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2289641&highlight=

HitmanAB on the other hand was perfect, even when set at lower than 7950 speeds.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34376473&postcount=550

I certainly now feel that more testing is required but so far it most certainly isn't a Nvidia is always smoother than AMD as some seem to imply.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

If we need to shoot it and then play it back at 3fps to notice it, what's the big concern? You take even the worse results from the 7950 and they are miles better than the 6970 and an order of magnitude better than the 570 (mild exaggerations for impact). Did anyone complain that they stuttered? I don't recall it if they did. This is why the statement, "Making mountains out of molehills" was used.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
If we need to shoot it and then play it back at 3fps to notice it, what's the big concern? You take even the worse results from the 7950 and they are miles better than the 6970 and an order of magnitude better than the 570 (mild exaggerations for impact). Did anyone complain that they stuttered? I don't recall it if they did. This is why the statement, "Making mountains out of molehills" was used.

OMG you know damn well why that video was slowed down.

What's the big concern.....
Listen to the podcast. I guarantee it will ruin your day. Cause then you'll know what the concern is.

Last edited:

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
What's the big concern..... W....O....W.... the determination to blow this off is astounding. Makes me want to shout if from rooftops all that much more dude. Keep it up.

Equally, the determination to make it seem like a general AMD = stutterfest while Nvidia = smooth is getting tiresome. TR got some contradictory results compared to their own previous testing, so it might be drivers or CAPS or a bad card but it most certainly isn't proof that ALL AMD HD 7xx0 cards = stutterfest.

Yes it would be nice to see other sites such as [H] or Anandtech do tests but [H] said they don't trust the way frametimes are measured using FRAPS and Anandtech said maybe sometime in the future. In the meantime stop with the constant BS claims that this is concrete proof.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
OMG you know damn well why that video was slowed down.

What's the big concern.....
Listen to the podcast. I guarantee it will ruin your day. Cause then you'll know what the concern is.

Nice way to ignore the content of the post and direct your response to me personally.

It was slowed down because at full speed there's nothing to see. What other possible reason could there be?

Unlike some, there's nothing here for me to get emotionally involved about and have even 1 minute of my day ruined. I have no personal or financial attachment.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
HardOCP has only commented on SLI vs CFX for smoothness as far as I've seen. I've never seen them say that Nvidia is more smooth than AMD in single card configurations. They have actually said that cards from both camps are smoother than the other depending on the game but usually it's equal. HardOCP also has commented that they don't feel like there is any way (including frame times) to accurately benchmark smoothness right now and so they will only continue to publish their fps through time graphs and subjective comparisons.

High speed camera.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

I'm not saying it's a mountain, I'm saying it raises questions and we should have more games tested, and with various settings and resolutions, to see if it's a real problem or an isolated occurrence. Playback of high speed footage is to let you see more clearly why a game felt less smooth, and to correlate it with frame time spikes. I think we can all agree that the more testing done the better--it's foolish to rely one one game at one setting and resolution. Ideally we'd have tests of every game at every conceivable setting and resolution.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'm not saying it's a mountain, I'm saying it raises questions and we should have more games tested, and with various settings and resolutions, to see if it's a real problem or an isolated occurrence. Playback of high speed footage is to let you see more clearly why a game felt less smooth, and to correlate it with frame time spikes. I think we can all agree that the more testing done the better--it's foolish to rely one one game at one setting and resolution. Ideally we'd have tests of every game at every conceivable setting and resolution.

Exactly. But that analysis needs to be done before straight away concluding that Nvidia has won 'hands down' as is the attitude of a number of posters here, also others who state it is impossible that AMD video cards may have a situational lack in smoothness. I'm all for rigorous analysis, but until that analysis comes we have a very specific situation that people are either trying to outright deny or extrapolate to some team-based win, and that is irrationality and hyperbole at its best.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Equally, the determination to make it seem like a general AMD = stutterfest while Nvidia = smooth is getting tiresome. TR got some contradictory results compared to their own previous testing, so it might be drivers or CAPS or a bad card but it most certainly isn't proof that ALL AMD HD 7xx0 cards = stutterfest.

Yes it would be nice to see other sites such as [H] or Anandtech do tests but [H] said they don't trust the way frametimes are measured using FRAPS and Anandtech said maybe sometime in the future. In the meantime stop with the constant BS claims that this is concrete proof.

Actually, it's just a results of the ever growing opposition this has faced since these two threads started. For every effort made to quiet it, another must be made to let it be heard. I call it, balance. :D