Teacher who used racial slur *as an example* quits job

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Blah, a whole bunch of crap about a whole bunch of wasted effort in a silly case. People freakin out on all sides.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i should add that cleveland hs is.... well.. ghetto. i have no faith in any of the statements made by students and/or parents from that school.

i'm just happy the guy works at MS... so it wasn't like his livelihood depended on his teaching career

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
People get offended way, way, way too easily. Something that could, if it wanted to, be legitimate like the NAACP just adds to my faith that modern society will eventually just degrade into nothing.

Or someone who has their act together will kill us all.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If the teacher was reprimanded for saying nig*er, then the student should get detention for saying "gay". Only fair.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
"Gay" vs. "Racial slur" => So, is calling something GAY offensive to someone who is GAY? It is to at least one person... I suspect. So, I guess he's got a point but... they aren't the same thing in today's society. Maybe they should be? Good luck on that.

I think he chose an inappropriate place, method, and time to bring it up. That and I suspect people think he's homosexual now and that just makes things worse for him. Ironic, if I'm right, and given the reason for their 'anger' over his using a racial term.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
"Gay" vs. "Racial slur" => So, is calling something GAY offensive to someone who is GAY? It is to at least one person... I suspect. So, I guess he's got a point but... they aren't the same thing in today's society. Maybe they should be? Good luck on that.

I think he chose an inappropriate place, method, and time to bring it up. That and I suspect people think he's homosexual now and that just makes things worse for him. Ironic, if I'm right, and given the reason for their 'anger' over his using a racial term.

funny, i never thought of that. perhaps this is on your mind a lot?

Mustangrrl

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
You'd think an educated adult could come up with a more intelligent way of getting his point across. This is 2003, he should have known better.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I agree he's a dumbass.
15-year Microsoft employee
probably a rich one but still very inappropriate way to drive his point accross. He's an adult and a professional the student is not.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
*adds NAACP to his "list of organisations to be wiped off this planet once I become the supreme dictator of planet Earth"*

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: dman

funny, i never thought of that. perhaps this is on your mind a lot?

rolleye.gif

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
*adds NAACP to his "list of organisations to be wiped off this planet once I become the supreme dictator of planet Earth"*

Ofcourse the RIAA is worst.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
I think the teacher had a very valid point...but he demonstrated it in a very poor way. The district handled it rather well...and I think Carl Mack is a bloody idiot. If that's the most racist decision in recent times...wow...

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TNTrulez

Guess what organisation is #1 on my list :p

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Guess what organization is #1 on my list :p

Z not S.

:p

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think both of the motherfluckers should shut up. People are too sensitive these days. Have any of you seen how Textbooks are censored now? No more Euro-Centric history either. Check out the book: The Language Police on Amazon.com.

It makes me sick to my stomach some of the things that were censored.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium

Z not S.

Not everyone is American. Organisation is British variant of organization.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: kt

Z not S.

Umm... duh? Why do you think I gave him the tongue smiley. It was a joke. Har har har. Sorry, that you didn't get it.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: kt

Z not S.

Umm... duh? Why do you think I gave him the tongue smiley. It was a joke. Har har har. Sorry, that you didn't get it.

How the heck should I know? I am not a mind reader. I can give a smiley, and behind my keyboard I am giving you the finger for all you know. :)

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I say we replace the word 'gay' that is currently used to label something as dumb and replace it with nig*er... who's all with me?

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Hmm, I am not sure what really went on but I have had something like this go on in the family. My brother was at school and some of him and his friends didnt want to be in the same group as some of these snotty little girls. The teacher got angry and thought it was just because of the fact they were girls (when they were being little b!itches). So the teacher starts saying how my brother shouldnt discriminate against girls, then she went on to say (while staring straight at him in front of the whole class as to embarass him) "I dont want to sit with him cause he's black". Now that may not sound as all that skrewed up to some of you, but he was basically made an example of and singeled out and extremely embarassed cause he was the only black kid in the whole school at the time. I dont really think that would feel comfortable. Sometimes the tone or look on the persons face while there saying something like that is what the problem really is. And they only say it because they think they can get away with it by making it sound different. I'm not saying that that happened in this incident, but try to look at it differently in the future.

Xionide

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
I say we replace the word 'gay' that is currently used to label something as dumb and replace it with nig*er... who's all with me?

I dont really care what the word is. Most of the time the people who use it are just using the obvious to get you pissed off. I think out of the billions of times i have been called a ni*ger, only once has been actually racist (but it was also coming out of a truck going about 60, fvcking pu$$ies)