Tbh you should cook your meat only sparingly(raw omnivour)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
There's meat in cookie dough? Didn't think there was anything wrong with eating it raw.
Raw egg. US eggs aren't pasteurized, and US chicken aren't vaccinated against salmonella, and US eggs are washed, which removes the protective, relatively germ-proof layer from the shell.

So, three strikes, you're puking.

That's also why we have to refrigerate 'em.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Raw egg. US eggs aren't pasteurized, and US chicken aren't vaccinated against salmonella, and US eggs are washed, which removes the protective, relatively germ-proof layer from the shell.

Oh right yeah home made dough. Probably would not eat that raw either. Was thinking more of consumer premade stuff you'd get at the grocery store in tubes. Or do those actually use real eggs? Honestly never checked the ingredients I just assume it's all artificial stuff.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Oh right yeah home made dough. Probably would not eat that raw either. Was thinking more of consumer premade stuff you'd get at the grocery store in tubes. Or do those actually use real eggs? Honestly never checked the ingredients I just assume it's all artificial stuff.

Never assume. There's a double whammy on unbaked cookie dough as the eggs can contain salmonella and raw flour can carry e coli bacteria. Some brands advertise themselves as safe to eat, in fact, that's their claim to fame. They know people will eat the dough raw and they use pasteurized eggs or egg substitutes and heat-treated flour to be able to market themselves that way. Any brand that does not expressly advertise their dough as safe to eat raw out of the tube isn't safe to eat right out of the tube. For example Pilsbury uses heat-treated flour, but real, un-pasteurized eggs, so theirs is not suitable for eating raw.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Never assume. There's a double whammy on unbaked cookie dough as the eggs can contain salmonella and raw flour can carry e coli bacteria. Some brands advertise themselves as safe to eat, in fact, that's their claim to fame. They know people will eat the dough raw and they use pasteurized eggs or egg substitutes and heat-treated flour to be able to market themselves that way. Any brand that does not expressly advertise their dough as safe to eat raw out of the tube isn't safe to eat right out of the tube. For example Pilsbury uses heat-treated flour, but real, un-pasteurized eggs, so theirs is not suitable for eating raw.

Good to know. I don't tend to eat it raw now days but I remember back as a kid I used to do it all the time, got lucky I guess haha. Though I think here in Canada the eggs might also be pasteurized, not sure. We tend to have stricter regs for that kind of stuff.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Ehh, the egg is actually far less risky than you'd think. The majority of raw cookie dough-induced illness is actually by way of flour. Flour is also not pasteurized. While playing the game of luck (like I do) is likely to be fine for the vast majority of us, sometimes the flour gets ya. But there does exist pre-packed edible raw cookie dough, which uses eggs and flour that are pasteurized. You can make the same at home as well if you use the pasteurized ingredients (or toast the flour in the oven before mixing -- accomplishes the same thing).

Illness caused by raw/undercooked egg is actually exceedingly rare. Nobody pasteurizes regular in-shell eggs, mind you. The only eggs you'll find pasteurized are liquid egg products. The big thing is indeed the lack of salmonella vaccinations here, but our fridge-focused methods actually help with that a little. But the US mindset is that washing the eggs immediately and then throwing them into refrigerators will provide enough safety benefit to minimize growth. Of course the shell washing does nothing for salmonella that gets trapped inside of the egg, deposited by infected ovaries before the shell forms around it, but I think a large proportion of salmonella egg issues are deposited on the shell after formation around the egg which is what the first line washing is meant to address. But yeah that does nothing for the few cases where the salmonella taints the interior of the egg, because no amount of shell washing will handle that. But cold storage helps prevent overgrowth, and full-temp cooking kills whatever did grow. But the risks are greater, however slim they are, than if we didn't wash the eggs at the first step (washing them at home instead) and gave our chickens salmonella vaccine.

edit:
whoops, turns out they can pasteurize eggs in shell. #TIL

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
What are they used for exactly? Here you can just insert stuff right into the machine in a slot.

We have multiple drive-thru lanes, usually 4, at normal banks. The one closest to the building just uses a drawer but the rest use the magic tubes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We have multiple drive-thru lanes, usually 4, at normal banks. The one closest to the building just uses a drawer but the rest use the magic tubes.

Oh I was thinking inside ATMs. They're usually lined up on a wall and there is access behind from inside the bank. In fact there is only one bank here that even has a drive thru that I know of. The ATM is accessed from the same location as the inside ones (I assume, based on layout of building).

I kinda want to go through one of those fancy multi lane drive thrus now just so I can use a pneumatic tube. :p

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
What are they used for exactly? Here you can just insert stuff right into the machine in a slot.
The tubes aren’t used for ATMs, only traditional human bank tellers. Pretty much any bank around here that still has multiple drive-up tellers uses them, but ATMs have replaced a lot, forcing you to park and go inside if you need a teller at many banks.

Typical set up used to be one or more teller window stations on the same wall with extendable drawers that retract into the building and at least one more lane away from the building with the pneumatic stations. This allowed tellers to service another lane, exchanging physical stuff like paper money, checks, deposits slips, pens, forms, coin change, etc while the one closest to the building was occupied.

It seems that a lot of banks replaced drive-up tellers with ATMs so these aren’t as ubiquitous as they once were but I can still see several when I drive through any town, and a lot are at new banks. It seems that smaller banks pride themselves on human service so they are more likely to have drive-up tellers and, thus, a tube system.

Edit - Weirdest one in my town:
Delta Community Credit Union
https://goo.gl/maps/zKesfCYSaxv
6188ca84d172658752258f341a916816.png

Sits very far away from the building (no direct window) and uses above-ground pneumatics. They are usually an outcropping from the bank and not an entirely separate structure like this.

Here’s one where the pneumatic stations were removed and the area is now just parking:
Formerly Bank of America/NationsBanc
https://goo.gl/maps/ASxQW2FfdgT2
509895afc1f1b385fe5a341798906d1c.png

Another local place where they were removed and replaced with shuttered windows and ATMs:
Also BofA/NB
https://goo.gl/maps/s7YRHXmiEtQ2
59e5dce917fef1c3ff70edce3511d5fe.png

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hope somebody is taking care of Naer's frogs while he's in the hospital... unless he ate them raw.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Oh I was thinking inside ATMs. They're usually lined up on a wall and there is access behind from inside the bank. In fact there is only one bank here that even has a drive thru that I know of. The ATM is accessed from the same location as the inside ones (I assume, based on layout of building).

I kinda want to go through one of those fancy multi lane drive thrus now just so I can use a pneumatic tube. :p

The outside ATM is still on the wall, usually in the first drive-thru lane, and most are drive up as well. Most banks have the first lane closed so that people don't have to wait for the ATM except during their busy times like Friday afternoon. Actually I'm not sure if that is true anymore now that so many people have direct deposit, deposit checks with apps, etc... I wouldn't know if they ever need all of their lanes open because it is absurdly rare for me to go the bank.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
The BBC website, seems to have just released a fairly quick online test. Testing your knowledge of food things, reminding me of this thread.
Unfortunately, I did not do very well in my first taking of the test, my results were :-
Your Result

5/8

More than half - well done! Try again and see if you can get them all right.

Here is the test (press PLAY)...

https://www.bbc.com/food/diets/healthy_vegan_diet_quiz

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The BBC website, seems to have just released a fairly quick online test. Testing your knowledge of food things, reminding me of this thread.
Unfortunately, I did not do very well in my first taking of the test, my results were :-

I got the same, and that included some guesses. Never considered veganism, so a lot of the concerns/data/food were foreign to me.

Reactions: SOFTengCOMPelec

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
That would be pretty epic if the OP decided not to post for six months just to get people worried about 'em... and then suddenly posts pics of him looking like a bodybuilder :)

Nobody is going to worry, but if it gets him to stay away for six months I'll pretend to give a shit.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
I got the same, and that included some guesses. Never considered veganism, so a lot of the concerns/data/food were foreign to me.

Yes, I agree. It seems to be an excessively difficult quiz, for anyone (most people), who are not fairly deeply involved with veganism and health stuff. Maybe even going so far, as needing medical training.

A number of my answers, were also semi-educated guess. I.e. click and hope to get it right.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yes, I agree. It seems to be an excessively difficult quiz, for anyone (most people), who are not fairly deeply involved with veganism and health stuff. Maybe even going so far, as needing medical training.

A number of my answers, were also semi-educated guess. I.e. click and hope to get it right.

My first time through was 3/8. And I consider my self quite educated on regular nutritional concerns.
Second time through I got 7/8. I reviewed the wrong answers and I think only two actually pointed out the correct answer, the others just said no sorry this is why you're wrong but we're not telling you the correct answer (what a shitty method for a quiz! lol) So taking what I knew and ignoring the two (I think) that they gave me, I got two more questions right. The Algal oil one through me off, for some reason I didn't think that was vegan. [but once I realized I was wrong that made sense, algae is a plant not an animal - that would be plankton I was thinking of first time through). Still had to resort to some guesses. When they only through out all vegan food choices (what the shit is pulled jackfruit? lmao) I took a semi-educated guess. Give me real food choices I'll do better at picking what's got what in it lol

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
My first time through was 3/8. And I consider my self quite educated on regular nutritional concerns.
Second time through I got 7/8. I reviewed the wrong answers and I think only two actually pointed out the correct answer, the others just said no sorry this is why you're wrong but we're not telling you the correct answer (what a shitty method for a quiz! lol) So taking what I knew and ignoring the two (I think) that they gave me, I got two more questions right. The Algal oil one through me off, for some reason I didn't think that was vegan. [but once I realized I was wrong that made sense, algae is a plant not an animal - that would be plankton I was thinking of first time through). Still had to resort to some guesses. When they only through out all vegan food choices (what the shit is pulled jackfruit? lmao) I took a semi-educated guess. Give me real food choices I'll do better at picking what's got what in it lol

You are right. They should have given the CORRECT answers, when you were reviewing the section, which tells you, how you scored.
I also think it should have been written/constructed, in such a way. That people, with little (i.e. most normal people), knowledge of veganism/medical-stuff etc, should still be able to answer most of it correctly. As long as they had enough common-sense and intelligence, to piece together the correct answer.
I.e. NOT ask things which involve knowledge of things, which almost everyone will NOT know.

Or in other words, construct it more like an IQ test. Which is (supposed to be) designed to NOT need/test your knowledge of stuff. But just your reasoning ability. I.e. actual intelligence, rather than knowledge and experience.

One way of achieving this, is to supply some facts in the question, first. Then test the understanding of it.

E.g.
Bad/wrong way.
Which cpu is made by Intel, 2700X, 2400G, 8770K ?
Because, unless you are a computer enthusiast (typical Anandtech Forum Poster) or cheat and google it, you may not be able to answer it.

Good/right way.
Which AMD cpu, has the most cores. The 2700X 8 core or the 2950X 16 core ?
But this one, can be answered with common sense and/or intelligence, WITHOUT being a computer guru.

Jun 18, 2000

I got 6/8 on the test, and most were guesses. Even a nutritionist wouldn't know many of those answers unless they had some kind of interest or specialty in vegan diets.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Wow, we have pneumatic tubes at all of our banks that have drive-thrus which is almost all of them. You can't drive a few miles without passing one in most areas. Even most small towns have at least one bank with them.
I hold the patent on using the tubes for cross border trade.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
I got 6/8 on the test, and most were guesses. Even a nutritionist wouldn't know many of those answers unless they had some kind of interest or specialty in vegan diets.

6/8 is very good!

I suspect, even a trained Doctor, would not necessarily get 8 out of 8.
It seems to be too hard, and need way, way too much rare, specific knowledge, about complicated food characteristics, and the way the human body works. E.g. as regards vitamin absorption effects and stuff.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
You are right. They should have given the CORRECT answers, when you were reviewing the section, which tells you, how you scored.
I also think it should have been written/constructed, in such a way. That people, with little (i.e. most normal people), knowledge of veganism/medical-stuff etc, should still be able to answer most of it correctly. As long as they had enough common-sense and intelligence, to piece together the correct answer.
I.e. NOT ask things which involve knowledge of things, which almost everyone will NOT know.

Or in other words, construct it more like an IQ test. Which is (supposed to be) designed to NOT need/test your knowledge of stuff. But just your reasoning ability. I.e. actual intelligence, rather than knowledge and experience.

One way of achieving this, is to supply some facts in the question, first. Then test the understanding of it.

E.g.
Bad/wrong way.
Which cpu is made by Intel, 2700X, 2400G, 8770K ?
Because, unless you are a computer enthusiast (typical Anandtech Forum Poster) or cheat and google it, you may not be able to answer it.

Good/right way.
Which AMD cpu, has the most cores. The 2700X 8 core or the 2950X 16 core ?
But this one, can be answered with common sense and/or intelligence, WITHOUT being a computer guru.

I thought the test was revealing though, and served a strong point: if you want to do veganism, you can't just eat whatever sounds good to you. With a typical omnivorous diet, you don't have to try all that hard to get enough of the basic micronutrients. Questions that ask where you would get your protein and more specifically where you would get your vitamin Bs, and what other nutrients might detract from that goal (nutrients that cause absorption issues for other nutrients). I stand by the notion that veganism is not a life-long sustainable diet, not for a fully healthy body, but if you are an adult you might be able to scrap by between regular meals and supplements (vitamins, minerals, oils, etc). Don't dare push it on a child though, and anyone that does should be charged with child endangerment! But on the idea of scraping by, to do so with veganism you absolutely need supplements and an intelligent approach to your diet or else you may end up missing some crucial nutrients or not getting enough of them. The body is fairly adaptable and can get by on less than it really needs but you risk a whole lot more than needed.