Question Taiwan Report: Intel has reached an agreement with TSMC

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Mods: if this is true, it should deserve its own thread. If it's not true, please feel free to delete it.

https://m.hexus.net/business/news/components/144379-amd-intel-battle-tsmc-capacity-says-report/

Insiders talking to the Taiwanese newspaper have indicated the following:
  • Intel has reached an agreement with TSMC
  • TSMC will begin mass production of Intel CPUs and/or GPUs next year
  • Intel chips will be fabricated on TSMC's 7nm optimised version of its 6nm process. (I'm not sure if that means TSMC N7P, N7+, or N6.)
No details on the agreement has come out.

My personal predictions on an agreement:

TSMC sees this as an opportunity to force Intel out of the race for bleeding-edge nodes. TSMC will probably allow Intel to keep its 10nm and above nodes since those aren't a threat to them. TSMC may allow Intel to finish its 7nm nodes as well because let's be honest, Intel releasing its 7nm node in the year 2022/2023 is not a threat to TSMC. Intel will stop developing a node below 7nm after signing an agreement with TSMC. Over the next 5 years or so, Intel will sell off all of its existing fabs and become fabless. Intel has no leverage in this deal and TSMC will use this opportunity to completely remove Intel as a threat.

This is just pure speculation but I think Intel did negotiate with Samsung to use a partnership with Samsung as a leverage point in a deal with TSMC. But ultimately, Intel knows going with TSMC is guaranteed access to the best node. In addition, Intel knows signing with TSMC is a punch to Nvidia and two punches to AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: vstar

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I have a hard time believing that Intel would shift their CPU production to TSMC at least for a couple more years, but I do think they will fab their Xe GPUs there.

Interesting times for sure!
Makes sense to start with their Xe GPUs first since Raja probably made it a point to design the GPU without coupling it with Intel's troubled nodes.

However, I fully expect Intel to manufacture their future high-performance CPUs at TSMC. The sooner, the better for Intel. Their CPUs are hurting the most and in the direst need to hop on a bleeding-edge node to stave off AMD's charge. Intel does not want Epyc and Ryzen to gain momentum for another 2 years.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

The unprecedented Intel order would reportedly include 180,000 wafers, only slightly behind the raised 200K order from AMD, major TSMC client and Intel rival.

TSMC's leading-edge capacity is now fully-booked for the first half of next year.

Between the two that's a lot of wafers!

vstar

May 8, 2019
Makes sense to start with their Xe GPUs first since Raja probably made it a point to design the GPU without coupling it with Intel's troubled nodes.

However, I fully expect Intel to manufacture their future high-performance CPUs at TSMC. The sooner, the better for Intel. Their CPUs are hurting the most and in the direst need to hop on a bleeding-edge node to stave off AMD's charge. Intel does not want Epyc and Ryzen to gain momentum for another 2 years.

I completely agree. To maintain competitiveness with an absolutely resurgent AMD, they need to get their CPUs on better nodes. If I were to take a guess, they might start utilizing TSMC for Granite Rapids. Possibly even SPR as they have a contractual obligation to have things ready for Aurora by 2021.

If those numbers are true there's no way it's just for Xe.

That's a good point. That could mean they will get Sapphire rapids fabbed through TSMC.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
Personally, even being an "AMD fan", I see this as a bad thing. For me would be better if Intel had managed to fix it's fabs because, how can TSMC fab everything for everyone? They can't make in infinite quantity of chips, some products will need to wait in line.

They could buy some Intel fabs (those that have the ASML machines) and start producing wafers in the US ... oh wait.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

Between the two that's a lot of wafers!
With TSMC increasing wafer output, the real question is what % is this order relative to next year's capacity.

AMD is using more than 200K/yr (16.67K/month). Seekingalpha sounds more like a trash site as I scan more of their articles.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
If this happens it will do incalculable damage to consumers. Intel will bully and buy its way to as much capacity as possible, bully their way into getting exclusive access to the latest nodes. In other words business as usual for Intel but this time they will have effective control of the silicon farm everyone wants to use.

Reactions: Tlh97 and amd6502

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
If this happens it will do incalculable damage to consumers. Intel will bully and buy its way to as much capacity as possible, bully their way into getting exclusive access to the latest nodes. In other words business as usual for Intel but this time they will have effective control of the silicon farm everyone wants to use.
Theyre trying same guerilla tactics they did towards AMD 15 years ago.

This is bad news if it means AMD wont be able to compete again.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Theyre trying same guerilla tactics they did towards AMD 15 years ago.
Of course they are that's how Intel rolls. And hey it works why change?
This is bad news if it means AMD wont be able to compete again.
Intel's goal has always been to make sure AMD never reaches critical mass (they've flat out said this). Intel is very afraid of competing fairly.

Reactions: Tlh97 and CentroX

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
You really think TSMC will allow the very clients that have helped them grow quickly will be discarded so easily?

If this happens then TSMC is both the best from a technology perspective and also the dumbest from a strategic angle, so no, I don't think Intel will be able to force this.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

That's what I'm worried about as well. Intel has MUCH more cash to throw around than AMD to buy up fab capacity. I hope this doesn't hurt consumers in the end.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
You really think TSMC will allow the very clients that have helped them grow quickly will be discarded so easily?
Intel can give them 10x the volume and over pay for it. Vastly over pay, which Intel can easily do they have money falling out of their pockets.
If this happens then TSMC is both the best from a technology perspective and also the dumbest from a strategic angle, so no, I don't think Intel will be able to force this.
We'll see. Money talks very loudly.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
Mods: if this is true, it should deserve its own thread. If it's not true, please feel free to delete it.

https://m.hexus.net/business/news/components/144379-amd-intel-battle-tsmc-capacity-says-report/

Insiders talking to the Taiwanese newspaper have indicated the following:
  • Intel has reached an agreement with TSMC
  • TSMC will begin mass production of Intel CPUs and/or GPUs next year
  • Intel chips will be fabricated on TSMC's 7nm optimised version of its 6nm process. (I'm not sure if that means TSMC N7P, N7+, or N6.)

I don't understand why it's the 6/7nm process they are buying in? It's performance is similar to Intel's 10nm, so they'd have to put in a lot of design effort for a process similar to theirs. I can't see TSMC's process hitting the 5+GHz mark for Intel judging by AMD's chips, so I really don't see the point in this.

For 5nm and beyond I can definately see why as those would be the alternative to their own 7nm process that's stalling.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015

Apple has more financial clout and is known for playing hardball, so Intel would still play second fiddle at best.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I don't understand why it's the 6/7nm process they are buying in? It's performance is similar to Intel's 10nm, so they'd have to put in a lot of design effort for a process similar to theirs. I can't see TSMC's process hitting the 5+GHz mark for Intel judging by AMD's chips, so I really don't see the point in this.

For 5nm and beyond I can definately see why as those would be the alternative to their own 7nm process that's stalling.
At which point the leading clients at TSMC will be migrating or have already migrated to 5nm. This alone contradicts the belief that Intel will monopolize leading edge nodes.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
Of course they are that's how Intel rolls. And hey it works why change?

Intel's goal has always been to make sure AMD never reaches critical mass (they've flat out said this). Intel is very afraid of competing fairly.
Well said.

Intel just wont let AMD hit their stride. This is bad news for us all.