Swine flu outbreak

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Ah, you finally guessed what I was doing, namely putting holes in your scenerio. I apologize if you took offence to that:).

I didn't take any offense to it, just don't understand why you're being a moron.

You obviously took offense if you continue to curse. Seriously, your scenerio was junk. Get over it.

Wow, "cursing", that indicates a lot. Guess you don't live in NYC.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Ah, you finally guessed what I was doing, namely putting holes in your scenerio. I apologize if you took offence to that:).

I didn't take any offense to it, just don't understand why you're being a moron.

You obviously took offense if you continue to curse. Seriously, your scenerio was junk. Get over it.

Of course I live here and I've lived here much longer than you. That's why I can correct you.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Of course I live here and I've lived here much longer than you. That's why I can correct you.

Sure you have. If you did you'd know that "cursing" isn't indicative of anything.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Sure you have. If you did you'd know that "cursing" isn't indicative of anything.

You must be new to the city with that kind of thinking. I've been here since 1992. You?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

You must be new to the city with that kind of thinking. I've been here since 1992. You?

1978, how big is your e-penis? It must be awfully big now that you've turned the whole thread into how big of an e-penis you have.

I bet you're staying up past your bedtime. I'll need to find that cartoon of the person yelling at their mom saying "I can't go to bed right now, somebody on the internet is wrong!!!!"

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

1978, how big is your e-penis? It must be awfully big now that you've turned the whole thread into how big of an e-penis you have.

I bet you're staying up past your bedtime. I'll need to find that cartoon of the person yelling at their mom saying "I can't go to bed right now, somebody on the internet is wrong!!!!"

lol. If you've been in the City that long and you conjured up a scenerio about the wealthy living and/or sending their children to school in Queens, then I doubt you. Seriously, Queens? lol.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Jack Flash
*is eating pulled pork sandwich*

*looks up slowly mouth full*

WHUFTAFUK!?

You poor bastard
rose.gif
:(

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Hmm, this is a virus from a bio-weapon? Wonder how that got out, must have been camel riding terrorists.

That chose to release it in.... Mexico

It is an interesting scenario. Thousands come up through the borders, sick, spreading it through the US. Since we can't contain our own borders and these people drive around the US unchecked and unfettered, they can spread everywhere and anywhere. Interestingly enough, they come in contact with other illegals hired by wealthy individuals to work in their houses (see prep school).

It's like letting loose thousands of little bombs with no hope of countering them.

Not that I believe that, but it is an interesting scenario.

It's a Catholic prep school. Mexicans are Catholic. And it's in Queens, not Manhattan.

Thanks, I don't know NYC geography, considering I live/work in NYC. Queens has plenty of nicer areas, but the theory remains the same. You're just trying to inflate your e-penis.

I'm simply correcting your "theory". You probably haven't lived here long enough to know that wealthy people don't really live in Queens, NY. They live in Manhattan. And the kids that got sick at that prep school are most likely poor or middle class, not rich.

Plenty of million+ dollar homes in Queens. They must not be wealthy.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Dari and LK should meet up in redhook for a knife fight

I heard there is an Ikea in Redhook now. One time I fell asleep on the train and ended up missing my stop. Scared the shit out of me. And, man, that G train goes all the way up on Smith and 9th (I think).

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Hmm, this is a virus from a bio-weapon? Wonder how that got out, must have been camel riding terrorists.

That chose to release it in.... Mexico

It is an interesting scenario. Thousands come up through the borders, sick, spreading it through the US. Since we can't contain our own borders and these people drive around the US unchecked and unfettered, they can spread everywhere and anywhere. Interestingly enough, they come in contact with other illegals hired by wealthy individuals to work in their houses (see prep school).

It's like letting loose thousands of little bombs with no hope of countering them.

Not that I believe that, but it is an interesting scenario.

It's a Catholic prep school. Mexicans are Catholic. And it's in Queens, not Manhattan.

Thanks, I don't know NYC geography, considering I live/work in NYC. Queens has plenty of nicer areas, but the theory remains the same. You're just trying to inflate your e-penis.

I'm simply correcting your "theory". You probably haven't lived here long enough to know that wealthy people don't really live in Queens, NY. They live in Manhattan. And the kids that got sick at that prep school are most likely poor or middle class, not rich.

Plenty of million+ dollar homes in Queens. They must not be wealthy.

Yeah, those people in Douglaston are poor ghetto mofos.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
http://bloomberg.com/apps/news...nABJ6Q&refer=worldwide

The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama?s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico?s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn?t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.

:Q I haven't heard this reported anywhere else. Let the conspiracy theorists go nuts with it. Maybe someone tried to take out Obama??

I wonder if Barry's had a checkup lately? :laugh:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RY62
http://bloomberg.com/apps/news...nABJ6Q&refer=worldwide

The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama?s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico?s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn?t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.

:Q I haven't heard this reported anywhere else. Let the conspiracy theorists go nuts with it. Maybe someone tried to take out Obama??

I wonder if Barry's had a checkup lately? :laugh:

Well, that proves it. Obama is a Terrorist!!! :laugh:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, I'm only hoping this fizzes out into nothingness but sadly viruses that are easy to spread from human to human tend to gain strength and well, hopefully we will know a hell of a lot more about it... As we all know people that are sick that have "REAL" jobs go to work.

Jul 10, 2007

i thought u lived in CT.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: 43st
Originally posted by: DrPizza
60 dead?! Oh NOOOOEEEEES!!!

To put it in perspective, the "regular" flu kills 10's of 1000's in the U.S. annually. But, that's not newsworthy because it doesn't have a cool name like "swine flu."

Just from a quick search the 1918 pandemic had a 2.5% mortality rate, the average flu is what? .05%

So far this is 6%-ish, so yeah that's 'oh Noooess' douche bag.

6%! On Noooooooooeeeees!
<jar jar binks>
Weesa all gonna die!
</jar jar binks>

6%... *in Mexico.* They're not exactly known for for high health standards, are they? Christ, you can even drink the water there. Of course, NOTHING has changed as far as bird flu goes - that could still mutate and kill millions of people. But, you can only sensationalize the same story for so long. Hey, whatever happened to Ebola that had a much much higher mortality rate?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

To put it in perspective, the "regular" flu kills 10's of 1000's in the U.S. annually. But, that's not newsworthy because it doesn't have a cool name like "swine flu."

Just from a quick search the 1918 pandemic had a 2.5% mortality rate, the average flu is what? .05%

6%! On Noooooooooeeeees!
<jar jar binks>
Weesa all gonna die!
</jar jar binks>

6%... *in Mexico.* They're not exactly known for for high health standards, are they? Christ, you can even drink the water there. Of course, NOTHING has changed as far as bird flu goes - that could still mutate and kill millions of people. But, you can only sensationalize the same story for so long. Hey, whatever happened to Ebola that had a much much higher mortality rate?

Ebola's high mortality rate helped more than hurt humans. With the virus killing over 90% of its hosts within days, that minimizes the amount of people that can get infected and die. This virus, with a much lower mortality rate, is something that is deadlier to humans.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Oh Noooooes!!! "It's deadlier"
[/quote]The students were among about 100 at St. Francis Preparatory School in Fresh Meadows who became sick in the last few days, said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, New York City?s health commissioner.?All the cases were mild, no child was hospitalized, no child was seriously ill,? Dr. Frieden said.[/quote]
Note: they swabbed 8 of those students to check and it appears they had swine flu.
The C.D.C. did not raise the alert level in the United States, which is officially at zero
Oh Noooeees! The CDC - were they appointed by the Bush administration? Are they secretly going to let us all get sick so we can blame Obama, throw him out of office, and let the Republicans back in. (/joke) Obviously, the CDC doesn't seem to think it's a problem. But, if you (not you, Dari - your point about Ebola's quick deadliness was correct) want to feed right into the media hype, then by all means, go ahead.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

6%! On Noooooooooeeeees!
<jar jar binks>
Weesa all gonna die!
</jar jar binks>

Ebola's high mortality rate helped more than hurt humans. With the virus killing over 90% of its hosts within days, that minimizes the amount of people that can get infected and die. This virus, with a much lower mortality rate, is something that is deadlier to humans.
Another major difference between Ebola and flu is that airborne transmission of Ebola is essentially unknown - transmission usually requires direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person (or animal). Also, since there usually isn't much discharge of fluids in the early stages of the disease, infection by a "stealth" carrier is much less likely than with the flu. And since the symptoms of hemorrhagic fever in its advanced (and most infectious) state are so extreme, it's pretty easy to identify and quarantine victims, and thereby prevent further spread of the disease.

As scary as Ebola is, it's a terrible candidate for a pandemic.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
well, since you can't catch it from eating pork.... i'm going to get some baby back ribs for lunch...

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: OCguy
Uhhhh...no.

We are over-due for a pandemic. It is only a matter of time....

cue the crazy neocon fear machines lol

Cue the left-wingnut who has no idea what he is talking about and doesnt read articles before he comments:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has identified swine influenza as a potential source of a human flu pandemic. Pandemics usually occur every 20 years.

Our experts and others are saying are not saying it's not a matter of whether but when. And we are past due," said Daigle.

Ya ya... bird flu, Sars, now this... They are always predicting a worldwide epidemic... That is what keeps them funded. When this blows over it will be even less of an issue than the other 2 recent ones were.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Its funny watching how people react to these things. there really is something to be said for one political party being more fearful then another :)

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Uhhhh...no.

Cue the left-wingnut who has no idea what he is talking about and doesnt read articles before he comments:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has identified swine influenza as a potential source of a human flu pandemic. Pandemics usually occur every 20 years.

Our experts and others are saying are not saying it's not a matter of whether but when. And we are past due," said Daigle.

Ya ya... bird flu, Sars, now this... They are always predicting a worldwide epidemic... That is what keeps them funded. When this blows over it will be even less of an issue than the other 2 recent ones were.

Considering there are a number of confirmed cases all across the U.S., I'd consider this to be a lot more serious. Luckily the cases in the U.S. seem to be mild and nobody has gotten seriously sick yet, but I don't think you can take this lightly. On a small scale it is apparently not deadly (with the right meds) but it becomes another story when it spreads and millions are infected....

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Extelleron
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Uhhhh...no.

Considering there are a number of confirmed cases all across the U.S., I'd consider this to be a lot more serious. Luckily the cases in the U.S. seem to be mild and nobody has gotten seriously sick yet, but I don't think you can take this lightly. On a small scale it is apparently not deadly (with the right meds) but it becomes another story when it spreads and millions are infected....

There's also the fact that World Wide Epidemics are quite common/regular Historically speaking. SARS was definitely a very serious disease that was contained due to the quick action by various Nations who detected it.

Some people just won't take this type of thing seriously until it's their life at risk. :shrug;