Swine flu outbreak

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
10 positive influenza results from college students returning from Mexico. (New Zealand)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/n...id=1&objectid=10568751

These are students at my (small) university. I'll be visiting the doc at the slightest sign of a flu coming on. Keeping in mind that it's actually flu season here in NZ, I don't know if that will make things worse or not.

Edit - ah no, different news article. The were 3 students at my university (Canterbury) who were exposed.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Wouldnt that make it no more lethal than the regular flu?

It's 7 confirmed deaths from swine flu out of 152 suspected deaths attributed to swine flu. There are currently 26 confirmed cases of swine flu in Mexico, with about 2000 cases (the number we see in the press) which are suspected to be swine flu.

So if we took fractions it'll be 7/26 (confirmed), or 152/2000 (suspected)

But to be honest no one really knows right now, and we'll have to wait for more results to come out to be able to arrive at some mortality rate, and also, we still don't know what would the mortality rate be with a treatment of antivirals (Tamiflu, etc, etc..)

I don't think anyone knows about it right now, but precaution is the name of the game here to try to ensure this is limited as much as possible, just in case it's the big one

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Originally posted by: bgeh
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Wouldnt that make it no more lethal than the regular flu?

It's 7 confirmed deaths from swine flu out of 152 suspected deaths attributed to swine flu. There are currently 26 confirmed cases of swine flu in Mexico, with about 2000 cases (the number we see in the press) which are suspected to be swine flu.

So if we took fractions it'll be 7/26 (confirmed), or 152/2000 (suspected)

But to be honest no one really knows right now, and we'll have to wait for more results to come out to be able to arrive at some mortality rate, and also, we still don't know what would the mortality rate be with a treatment of antivirals (Tamiflu, etc, etc..)

I don't think anyone knows about it right now, but precaution is the name of the game here to try to ensure this is limited as much as possible, just in case it's the big one

This is about right. Don't know what that WHO story in the Sydney Morning Herald was really about, or if it was a misunderstanding by the journalist...no byline.

In any case--"official recording" and "confirmed" are not the same as a denial or skepticism that what the Mexican and US health agencies are reporting ss accurate.

If that SMH story is claiming that slant, then it is a mistake. WHO is likely just being semantically strict.

Pretty much you need a full blown virology lab to confirm the Mexico H1N1 substrain, and pathology. Not many areas have those kind of facilities. it wasn't until Thursday last, that CDC in Atlanta confirmed the H1N1 substrain, from samples sent by the Mexico Health department. Even they did not have that capability.

It looks like all flu cases in Mexico are H1N1 substrain. New virus, with no immunity and no vaccine.

Before confirmation of the new strain, and before Mexico took steps at containment by isolating its population, and a massive information campaign--death rate was somewhere around 6%. That is, if you got the flu-- your chances of dying (if you did nothing) would be approx. 6%.

Containment steps are working. If we don't have a vaccine for this new strain--there is really only one option--only one plan B--and that is: don't get it.

Do everything that is recommended so you don't get it, and you don't have to worry about that 6%

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Wow, they are making unprecedented school closures in my area DFW, TX. Fort Worth ISD (180,000 kids) just announced a full shutdown for at least a week starting tomorrow based on 10 suspected cases 1 confirmed, and smaller suburban cities are following suit. If all the districts in the area including DISD(11 suspected 4 confirmed) join in we're talking probably near a million kids home from school.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
All Schools in madison County, ALabama... shut down until Mon

Two possible cases in Huntsville.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Its a good thing the Obama Administration is spending on their time releasing torture documents. Is this Obama's Katrina?

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Its a good thing the Obama Administration is spending on their time releasing torture documents. Is this Obama's Katrina?

Releasing the torture documents is something that had to be done. The Obama administration is simply satisfying the public by doing so. In truth, the US government will continue to torture in secret. Nothing has changed. The swine flu will be delt with in time. Everyone knows this.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008

If anyone wants to put a political spin to this new H1N1 virus--there is a coherent argument. A political environment whereby lobbying brings about loosely regulated industrial animal farming practices.

Once again, penny wise-pound foolish flawed thinking. We are literally putting the foxes in charge of guarding the chicken coops.

The answer is: More regulation, more government supervision.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: microbial

If anyone wants to put a political spin to this new H1N1 virus--there is a coherent argument. A political environment whereby lobbying brings about loosely regulated industrial animal farming practices.

Once again, penny wise-pound foolish flawed thinking. We are literally putting the foxes in charge of guarding the chicken coops.

Does more regulation mean a government inspector for every pig? Does he personally watch this animal from birth, and then follow a piece of it to my dinner plate?

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
The world should act quicker. This pandemic is no joke, this is a novel virus and there is no natural immunity (judging on how fast it spreads) even though case fatality ratio remains low, an overwhelming flood of patients may choke healthcare systems

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I thought in your book, Katrina was an excellent example of the government doing well under Bush. Don't tell me you got one thing right?

I'm sure the Justice Department lawyers working on the torture memos are neglecting their germ analysis for the flu. You are a troll, IMO.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The solution to this is Abstinance! Don't touch anyone, keep your fingers out of your Orifices!! 100% effective.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
The solution to this is Abstinance! Don't touch anyone, keep your fingers out of your Orifices!! 100% effective.

Don't forget to bitch people out who don't cover there coughs and with there sleeves and not there hands.

You know the ones who in line just cough right behind you and make sure to yell at anyone picking there nose.

Yeah.... Time to bitch people out...... :D

Whatca trying to do? Spread the swine virus? Ya f**king dirty pig!

Kidding, kidding....

I don't advise to do this in pubic as it may risk in the person coughing on you on purpose and thus you getting infected.

Wear latex gloves and bio masks. It's the only way to be safe. Maybe a condom as well to protect the virus from forming into some kind of penis flesh rotting thing....

:Q

What is kinda funny as after the news first reported about the mutated swine flu I watched I Am Legend for the first time. Lol!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

More big government, the answer to everything. Is this serious, yes. How often does it happen? Not too damned often. Do we need more government regulation and will more government regulation prevent these? I suggest getting the answers to those questions first.

I'll put another political spin on this. Mexico has got socialized medicine. How much is that contributing to the higher death rate in this instance?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: boomerang

More big government, the answer to everything. Is this serious, yes. How often does it happen? Not too damned often. Do we need more government regulation and will more government regulation prevent these? I suggest getting the answers to those questions first.

I'll put another political spin on this. Mexico has got socialized medicine. How much is that contributing to the higher death rate in this instance?

"Socialized" Medicine is not a single identical thing everywhere.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

This did start in Mexico, didn't it? I fail to see how more government regulation on agriculture in the USofA would have prevented this?

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

This did start in Mexico, didn't it? I fail to see how more government regulation on agriculture in the USofA would have prevented this?

A US owned company, Smithfield Foods (specifically Granjas Caroll massive hog facility in the town of La Gloria) operating in Mexico is ground zero. Tighter regulations should target companies--regardless of where they choose to set-up their operation.

Perhaps, if I were a cynical person, I might think that one of the reasons a company like Smithfield Foods chooses places like La Gloria, Mexico is so that they can get away with whatever practices they want.

More regulation is the answer. Private enterprise cannot be trusted to --on their own-- do the socially responsible thing. I'm sorry to say that so bluntly, but how much more evidence do you need.

Economic crisis, epidemiological crisis...both could have been avoided through tighter supervision.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

A US owned company, Smithfield Foods (specifically Granjas Caroll massive hog facility in the town of La Gloria) operating in Mexico is ground zero. Tighter regulations should target companies--regardless of where they choose to set-up their operation.

Perhaps, if I were a cynical person, I might think that one of the reasons a company like Smithfield Foods chooses places like La Gloria, Mexico is so that they can get away with whatever practices they want.

More regulation is the answer. Private enterprise cannot be trusted to --on their own-- do the socially responsible thing. I'm sorry to say that so bluntly, but how much more evidence do you need.

Economic crisis, epidemiological crisis...both could have been avoided through tighter supervision.

Let me get this straight, the US needs to regulate companies in Mexico? How about companies in China, India, Iran, Russia.... ??? That's hardly a practical solution even if I thought it was a good idea to start.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492

Let me get this straight, the US needs to regulate companies in Mexico? How about companies in China, India, Iran, Russia.... ??? That's hardly a practical solution even if I thought it was a good idea to start.

Smithfield sucks as a company but I don't see how we can successfully regulate a plant in another country either?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Biden: Stay Off Subways During Swine Flu Panic

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news...ld/Swine-Flu-0428.html

I guess people should take some precautions, but does he expect everyone to just sit home and not travel anywhere? Also in places like NYC, you pretty much don't have a choice but to take the subway.

About two hours after the interview, Biden's office issued a statement attempting to clarify the vice president's remarks.

Someone needs to treat Biden for chronic Foot in Mouth Syndrome.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
Biden: Stay Off Subways During Swine Flu Panic

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news...ld/Swine-Flu-0428.html

I guess people should take some precautions, but does he expect everyone to just sit home and not travel anywhere? Also in places like NYC, you pretty much don't have a choice but to take the subway.

About two hours after the interview, Biden's office issued a statement attempting to clarify the vice president's remarks.

Someone needs to treat Biden for chronic Foot in Mouth Syndrome.
He does have a problem. Not hard to see why he'll never run for president. Not a chance. Well, what I mean is, he'll never get the nomination.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

I know smithfield foods very well. I have friends that work at their plants here in the USA. I can't say what their policies are outside the USA but the plant where my friends work is one of the best places to work in the area. They pay the employees well, they have good benefits and a good work environment. The place is kept clean and I have never heard anyone condemn them for poor sanitation.

Also they have no cases of flu at any of their plants.
http://investors.smithfieldfoo...l.cfm?ReleaseID=380323

I rarely speak kindly of corporations, but smithfield is one of the few that I do have respect for.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Swine Flu = Chem Trails.
1300 died each year from basic every day flu.
Plus, how many from drunk drivers?
One swine flu death here so far?
Gota sell those news papers and tv shows...