Swine flu outbreak

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
sportage: How many people suffer from 'basic every day' flu each year, compared to swine flu, 100x, 1000x, 10000x? The problem with swine flu is that we do not know how dangerous it is, and that's the most worrying factor. But, current indicators do point to it being a mild flu, and not with mortality rates into the 1-5% levels which most people were worried about, so that's good news.

Remember, you can have a pandemic and still have no one dying if the mortality rate is 0%. The unknown factor at the time was whether it was 0.1% or 1-5%, which makes a heck lot of a difference to number of deaths due to swine flu.

Or let me put in the reverse scenario: Suppose we do get news of the swine flu, but authorities and news media outlets simply downplay it, and people go on with life as usual, with the usual habits that tend to help spread an infectious disease easily. Assume that the swine flu is the real dreaded flu we were all worried about, with mortality rates of 5-8% (around the levels of that oft-quoted Spanish flu), and pretty transmissible (which swine flu is proving to be). Wouldn't that then mean that the resulting lack of awareness, and people simply not giving a toss in the initial stages, when the virus was still able to be contained due to the low number of hosts/vectors, be a big opportunity missed, and the resulting pandemic, combined with the relatively high hypothetical mortality rates, lead to thousands, or even millions of deaths worldwide, because no one cared in the first place when it was (relatively) containable? Or even if the spread could not be controlled, would the resulting panic, and much heightened awareness in the public slow the spread of the flu drastically enough to allow scientists to work to develop a vaccine (they usually take a few months for flu) which can potentially save lives, who might have died if the 'panic' did not occur and the virus became widespread among the population?

They're of course not easy choices, and when it comes to being a policy maker with these kinds of decisions: You never win, because if you're right, you'll be asked why you didn't ring the alarm bells earlier when it was still containable, leading to so many deaths, and if you're wrong, you'll be asked why you predicted wrongly, and led to so much disruption of people's lives.

GooeyGUI

Aug 1, 2005
http://www.bizjournals.com/por...009/04/27/daily56.html

Friday, May 1, 2009, 8:41am PDT
Swine flu fear closes Western Oregon University

Suspecting a student may have the H1N1 virus ­? commonly known as swine flu ? Western Oregon University on Thursday announced the closing of the campus until Monday. All on-campus university classes, events, and other activities are canceled. Students are being asked to remain in their dorms. Earlier this week the unnamed student exhibited flu-like symptoms and tested positive for influenza A at the Monmouth campus? Student Health Center. The student, who lives off-campus, is in the care of family and is receiving medical treatment. Western Oregon officials notified the Polk County Health Department and the specimen was sent to the state of Oregon Public Health Department Lab. WOU officials were told the specimen would require further testing by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, as indications are probable that the diagnosis is a case of the 2009 H1N1 influenza. The results of the CDC testing are expected by Monday. Western Oregon has an enrollment of more than 5,000 students, plus about 700 faculty and staff members.

This my only be a common flu, but fear alone has caused them to shut it down.

This is a stone's throw from Salem, OR. It's about 20 miles away. Never the less, I wiped my shopping cart handle with one of the provided wipes on my way into shop and wiped my hands on a second when I left. I really didn't like how much the clerk chatted with me because I kept thinking that it was totally extraneous behavior that could spread the flu. :disgust:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah a bunch of college students are going to stay in their dorms with a day off.. :roll: This might actually make it WORSE.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bgeh
sportage: How many people suffer from 'basic every day' flu each year, compared to swine flu, 100x, 1000x, 10000x? The problem with swine flu is that we do not know how dangerous it is, and that's the most worrying factor. But, current indicators do point to it being a mild flu, and not with mortality rates into the 1-5% levels which most people were worried about, so that's good news.

Remember, you can have a pandemic and still have no one dying if the mortality rate is 0%. The unknown factor at the time was whether it was 0.1% or 1-5%, which makes a heck lot of a difference to number of deaths due to swine flu.

Or let me put in the reverse scenario: Suppose we do get news of the swine flu, but authorities and news media outlets simply downplay it, and people go on with life as usual, with the usual habits that tend to help spread an infectious disease easily. Assume that the swine flu is the real dreaded flu we were all worried about, with mortality rates of 5-8% (around the levels of that oft-quoted Spanish flu), and pretty transmissible (which swine flu is proving to be). Wouldn't that then mean that the resulting lack of awareness, and people simply not giving a toss in the initial stages, when the virus was still able to be contained due to the low number of hosts/vectors, be a big opportunity missed, and the resulting pandemic, combined with the relatively high hypothetical mortality rates, lead to thousands, or even millions of deaths worldwide, because no one cared in the first place when it was (relatively) containable? Or even if the spread could not be controlled, would the resulting panic, and much heightened awareness in the public slow the spread of the flu drastically enough to allow scientists to work to develop a vaccine (they usually take a few months for flu) which can potentially save lives, who might have died if the 'panic' did not occur and the virus became widespread among the population?

They're of course not easy choices, and when it comes to being a policy maker with these kinds of decisions: You never win, because if you're right, you'll be asked why you didn't ring the alarm bells earlier when it was still containable, leading to so many deaths, and if you're wrong, you'll be asked why you predicted wrongly, and led to so much disruption of people's lives.

Yep, I've been super impressed with the way our government (and the world's) has been taking this threat seriously.

I've also been a bit relieved since it seems that this flu has been relatively mild but then I read somewhere that the 1918 pandemic also started out as relatively mild but later became deadly.

So, now we have to watch carefully what happens in the fall during the start of the regular flu season -- will this swine flu have mutated into something much more deadly? Hopefully, we'll have some kind of vaccine ready if it turns out to be deadly. I hope we are also much more careful with the vaccine to make sure what happened in 1976 isn't repeated (it turned out that vaccine wasn't safe and actually killed more people than the swine flu which petered out in the end).

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Yep.. this definitely turned out to be the big one. What sucks is I am the only one left to post this on the internet. Perhaps one day aliens will dig up this thread.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I for one support changing the name to the Mexican Flu.

It started in Mexico, found its way across the border without proper entry documentation,

Like most Mexicans, it left without properly finishing the job

and its "work" got worse as it progressed.

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I for one support changing the name to the Mexican Flu.

It started in Mexico, found its way across the border without proper entry documentation,

Like most Mexicans, it left without properly finishing the job

and its "work" got worse as it progressed.

Classy...