Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/07/tensions-high-california-high-school-following-flag-flap/

Apparently the Hispanic students decided to be the reactionary assholes the VP feared they'd be (after the fact).

Lemme see... kids get booted for wearing American symbolism and Latinos demonstrate demanding respect for mexicans and latinos???

A big double WTF right there, folks.

WTF are they crying about? This makes no sense.

I know high school kids suffer from extreme stupidness, but still wtf.

Oct 30, 2004
I'm under the impression that it's a regular mixed-ethnicity high school with regular inter-ethnic tensions just like any other high school with a mixture of large white, black, and/or Arab student populations.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
WTF are they crying about? This makes no sense.

I know high school kids suffer from extreme stupidness, but still wtf.

And that is the problem.
Parents aren't being parents.
Parents need to put those kids in their place.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I expect a team of ACLU lawyers anyday now, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out in support of the students.

Oops, looks like I was right: ACLU supports the students. Sorry if that doesn't fit into your neat little box.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=7427683

None of the five students were suspended, but the ACLU says the boys' rights to freedom of speech were violated.

"It was censorship to tell the students not to wear the American flag shirts and those are rights protected by the California education code and both the California and U.S. Constitution," said Julia Harumi Mass from the ACLU.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Are you serious? The ACLU seems to be pretty consistent in their defense of civil liberties (except they kind of suck when it comes to Second Amendment issues, but fortunately the NRA is around to pick up their slack). I've never understood how they got the reputation for being some evil liberal organization or whatever you guys think.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I don't know what is more ironic, American kids using shirts that were made in Mexico to protest a Mexican holiday, or Mexican kids getting mad at shirts who's fabrication that fed Mexicans. Kind of funny when you think that illegals come here to pick and process the raw materials, that are then sent to Mexico for production, and they are all bent out of shape about them.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Are you serious? The ACLU seems to be pretty consistent in their defense of civil liberties (except they kind of suck when it comes to Second Amendment issues, but fortunately the NRA is around to pick up their slack). I've never understood how they got the reputation for being some evil liberal organization or whatever you guys think.

It seems that conservatives feel the Bill of Rights is too liberal.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I don't know what is more ironic, American kids using shirts that were made in Mexico to protest a Mexican holiday, or Mexican kids getting mad at shirts who's fabrication that fed Mexicans. Kind of funny when you think that illegals come here to pick and process the raw materials, that are then sent to Mexico for production, and they are all bent out of shape about them.

you believe the kids wore american flags as protest to the "mexican holiday"?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I remember watching this story the night that it happened. I think it's ridiculous that they were sent home, but based on the kids' interviews with the local news, it was clear that they were being intentionally antagonistic.

Hiding behind perceived freedoms, or patriotism as an excuse to antagonize and insult is no right. Plus, the flag was a t-shirt. disrespectful in itself.

However, one of the white kids that was sent home is of mixed hispanic origin. So...idunknow.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Then good. I'm happy to be wrong about that. The ACLU does some good things (and some bad) I just don't like how they pick and choose the rights and issues they wish to defend.

maybe in mayor Glen Beck's crazy land, but not in the reality in which I live.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
maybe in mayor Glen Beck's crazy land, but not in the reality in which I live.

I think the problem with the ACLU is that they are completely non partisan, and none moral. Now, I am not saying they are amoral, or amoral people just saying that they will just as soon defend a kids right to wear a t-shirt with a flag on it, as they will for NAMBLA, as they will for the Klan, and that pisses people off.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think the problem with the ACLU is that they are completely non partisan, and none moral. Now, I am not saying they are amoral, or amoral people just saying that they will just as soon defend a kids right to wear a t-shirt with a flag on it, as they will for NAMBLA, as they will for the Klan, and that pisses people off.

yep, that's their job. love it or hate it. Until the constitution redefines the rights of certain reactionary groups, the ACLU is beholden to defend the rights that exist.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They don't touch the 2nd and they hate the 10th.

you've already got the 2nd amendment advocacy group: the NRA, and the millions of others who already seem to think that the ONLY right that matters is the 2nd.

armed death: a right!

access to health care: fuck no! man up!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
you've already got the 2nd amendment advocacy group: the NRA, and the millions of others who already seem to think that the ONLY right that matters is the 2nd.

armed death: a right!

access to health care: fuck no! man up!

Are you really that stupid? The two aren't even close to being comparable. Sheesh.